Who eats 2000 calories and loses still?

Options
13»

Replies

• crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A 500+ post thread dedicated to what you want. Enjoy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

Keep in mind, unless you are doing steady state cardio, HRM aren't very effective. So it's possible that you are over estimating your calories out.

So what kind of exercise are you doing and how long are you doing it?

Thanks!

I use a chest belt HRM- not a machine calorie counter to base off my calories. I tried to make sure I bought one that was the most accurate. I usually run anywhere from 3-8 miles or body pump, which is an hour long bar bell class. I usually work out for an hour or hour and a half 5-6 days a week. I tend to push myself hard through my workouts.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    thank you OP for starting this thread..I really want to believe that eating 2000 will still make me lose...I am stuck at my current weight for a long time (like over a year now)...eating less than 1500...I do lift heavy, run, and other stuff...
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Me.
  • albayin
    Options
    Nope, 2000 would be a gain for me. My body is very efficient at using cals. As a side note I don't believe it is a bad thing like everyone else freaks out about.

I was wondering about my body if it's similar to yours when it comes to efficiency...
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I eat 2k a day macros of 40 30 30 and have dropped from 21.3% bf to 19.1% in 6 months. I lift 3 times a week and chase a toddler. Good luck with everything!

ETA I follow the TDEE method and eat the same number of cals everyday.
  • bsenka
    bsenka Posts: 33
    Options
    I can go way over 2000 calories and still easily lose 2+ lbs a week as long as the exercise I'm doing is weight lifting and interval sprints. If I'm just doing lots of cardio, (or not exercising at all), no chance.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A 500+ post thread dedicated to what you want. Enjoy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

Keep in mind, unless you are doing steady state cardio, HRM aren't very effective. So it's possible that you are over estimating your calories out.

So what kind of exercise are you doing and how long are you doing it?

Thanks!

I use a chest belt HRM- not a machine calorie counter to base off my calories. I tried to make sure I bought one that was the most accurate. I usually run anywhere from 3-8 miles or body pump, which is an hour long bar bell class. I usually work out for an hour or hour and a half 5-6 days a week. I tend to push myself hard through my workouts.

Even with good HRM, they are going to be very inaccurate for anything outside of running. This is why I won't own one. IMO is much better to eat the same amount of calories daily, use a food scale and measure progress over a month or two and back into your TDEE. This is why I know I maintain at 3000 calories and lose at 2400-2600. I average 2500 calories essentially and lose 1 lb a week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    thank you OP for starting this thread..I really want to believe that eating 2000 will still make me lose...I am stuck at my current weight for a long time (like over a year now)...eating less than 1500...I do lift heavy, run, and other stuff...

Do you use a food scale?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago, I was like you. I had gained a little post-surgical weight, and to lose it, I decided to eat 1800 calories and continue with my normal exercise routine. I could do that for about 3 days before I was starving and would binge. Lather, rinse, repeat. I felt horrible.

I got a BodyMedia Fit, which shows actual calories burned throughout the day. No wonder I was bingeing! Some days I was burning over 3000 calories, creating too large of a deficit. When I could see what I was burning, I could tailor my eating to my activity level so I was didn't feel deprived but could still have a deficit. The weight came off in no time.

I still wear the BMF, because I'm addicted to the numbers and it has helped me maintain my weight as I've gone through menopause (man, does your metabolism take a nosedive!). I try to stay in the 200 calorie above or below my total calorie burn every day. Yesterday I ate 2400 calories, but burned 2596--a 200 calorie deficit.

So yes, if you're not concerned with the speed of weight loss you can easily eat 2000 calories or more and still lose weight.
  • timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Firstly, you might consider 2 days rest out of 7 as a minimum. If you're properly pushing yourself then your muscles need some down time to get stronger. Linked to that is varying intensity and nature of the cardio workouts, in case you're adapted to the ones you do at a given intensity all the time (sorry, you may well know this already!) HIIT, and all that! Finally, try building in some weights if you're not doing that already. Apparently str/cardio is more effective than pure cardio (I'm just starting to try this out myself).
  • albayin
    Options

Do you use a food scale?

yes, in fact for most of the days, I ate around 1200 per scale and logging, because even with a scale I know things are not accurate, that's why I said "eat less than 1500 cal". Some days I might drop a couple of pounds if I forgot to eat or eat less than 1000 cal the previous day, then it comes back on right away...very frustrating. I lift 3 times a week, 2 cardio/HIIT, and walking yoga ballet or anything else in the fitness department. My carb intake is very low, around 20% at the highest. I do refeed, once or twice every 2 weeks. My weight doesn't change nor my measurement. The only thing I can "sometimes notice" is the muscle definition but that's just depending how you pose or where to put the camera...
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago, I was like you. I had gained a little post-surgical weight, and to lose it, I decided to eat 1800 calories and continue with my normal exercise routine. I could do that for about 3 days before I was starving and would binge. Lather, rinse, repeat. I felt horrible.

I got a BodyMedia Fit, which shows actual calories burned throughout the day. No wonder I was bingeing! Some days I was burning over 3000 calories, creating too large of a deficit. When I could see what I was burning, I could tailor my eating to my activity level so I was didn't feel deprived but could still have a deficit. The weight came off in no time.

I still wear the BMF, because I'm addicted to the numbers and it has helped me maintain my weight as I've gone through menopause (man, does your metabolism take a nosedive!). I try to stay in the 200 calorie above or below my total calorie burn every day. Yesterday I ate 2400 calories, but burned 2596--a 200 calorie deficit.

So yes, if you're not concerned with the speed of weight loss you can easily eat 2000 calories or more and still lose weight.

How much is a body media fit? Is it more accurate that a typical HRM? I was told mine was the top of the line for accuracy, but I'd hate to be under or over eating. I'm sure I'm more under than over eating at this point in time though.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've had success with netting 1850 and eating back ALL of my exercise cals. So that means I would eat from 2200-3000+ cals some days but on average I'd say 25/2600 a day. The past month I have cut back though because I kept getting within 1lb of UGW and then fluctuating and I got frustrated. So I maxed out my eating at 2500(ish) and slightly lowered my carbs and I reached my UGW. However, even then I was still eating over 2000 cals a day. But it prob averaged out around 2200-2300 a day but I admit I really felt it!

I've re-assessed my goals and want to drop a further 4 lbs so I'm trying to stick to 2500(ish cals) 5 days a week when I workout and 1900 on my two rest days and that should see me drop a few more lbs in the next few wks before I gradually increase it again.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

How much is a body media fit? Is it more accurate that a typical HRM? I was told mine was the top of the line for accuracy, but I'd hate to be under or over eating. I'm sure I'm more under than over eating at this point in time though.
    You can get the Core for around $100 and it includes a year free of the online subscription. It measures calorie burn all day long, even while asleep, so you know what you're doing all day, not just during workouts. Interestingly enough, my biggest calorie burn days have been on non-workout days. They were days I was entertaining, and I was literally moving all day long. Moving, even just puttering around the house, can burn some serious calories.

http://www.bodymedia.com/Shop/Armband-Packages
  • carmendave
    carmendave Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump