Some advise, opinions and tips? (Fat shredding)

Options
Hey guys,

About 4 weeks ago I started calorie counting with a limit of 1200 calories. I also began training cardio 3 times a week for 45 minutes and weight training 3 times a week also, so all up, 6 days a week.

I have been eating low caloire foods so I feel as though I have all the energy I need throughout the day.

Generally I will have:

Breakfast
Weetbix x 3
150ml skim milk
1 tsp raw sugar

Morning tea
Banana

Lunch
100gm basmati rice
100gm chicken breast (grilled, no skin)

Afternoon tea
An apple or low fat yougurt

Dinner
Half a can of chunky beef or chicken soup
1/4 cup instant mash potato (which surprisingly has a lot better nutritional value then I thought and is low cal)
100gm mixed frozen vegetables

I however do not just limit myself to this, if I feel like I need more food, I will eat more. Im not starving myself.

My goal is to shred as much fat as I can, gain some muscle in my back and shoulders (I already have decent muscle mass in other parts of my body), tone and get to my goal weight of 55kg. My weight has been fluctuating.

Just wondering if theres any suggestions of low cal foods, advice on fat shredding and what has worked for others. Also, if there is anything you think I should change and why.

I can post my workout if need be.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• redhot656_c
    redhot656_c Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh and how tall are you?
  • rebeccastacey91
    Options
    164cm or 5'4ish
    63kg or 138lb

Although, I used to weigh 1kg less about 2 years ago and was about two dress sizes larger. I have increased in muscle mass.

I lost 3kg since calorie counting then put one back on since weighing in last week.
  • redhot656_c
    redhot656_c Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing good :-) do you mix up your workouts?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Fat is lost through a moderate calorie deficit. With the amount you want to lose first of all set your weight loss goal no higher than 1 pound a week. By the time you are halfway to your goal you should switch that to only half a pound a week. Also realize that the calorie deficit is already built into your daily calorie goal (I call it a goal because you are to eat that amount, not be way below it). That means to keep that deficit moderate you need to eat the calories you burn exercising at least in par 75% or so. Measure the food you are eating carefully. Don't estimate amounts. Doing this you will lose weight.

Second, you state you want to gain muscle. Gaining muscle in a calorie deficit is almost impossible. There are instances where it happens with people new to lifting weights, or people who had a lot of muscle returning to lifting weights, but generally to put on muscle requires eating more than maintenance calories. Add to this the fact you are female meaning you will have a much more difficult time putting muscle on, and a more reasonable goal at this point would be maintain the muscle you have.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants is well worth the read.

As is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • GimmieDatSalad
    Options
    If you aren't eating back all those exercise calories then you are starving yourself, you need many more.
  • rebeccastacey91
    Options
    This is currently what my workout is like. I am three weeks in and increasing weights where suitable. I plan on altering it once I reach 6-8 weeks.

Monday - Cardio
    Warm up - Dynamic stretching.
    Cross trainer - 30 mins
    Row machine - 15 mins
    Cool down - Static stretching.

Tuesday - Cardio
    Bike - 30 mins
    Cross trainer - 15 mins

Wednesday - Cardio
    Cross trainer - 30 mins
    Row machine - 15 mins

Thursday - Arms & Chest (4 sets, 14 reps)
    Warm up - Cross trainer - 5 mins.
    Chest - Fly machine, dumbell bench press, angled push ups.
    Bicep - Machine, bicep curls, bicep curl bar.
    Tricep - Machine, tricep extention, tricep pulldown.

Friday - Legs (4 sets, 14 reps)
    Leg extentions, leg pull downs, walking lunges, barbell squats.

Saturday - Back & Shoulders (4 sets, 14 reps)
    Back - Cable row, lat pull down, fly machine (reverse).
    Shoulders - Dumbell shoulder press, front dumbell raises, side dumbell raises.

Sunday - Rest day :D
  • rebeccastacey91
    Options
    :smile:
  • rebeccastacey91
    Options
    Fat is lost through a moderate calorie deficit. With the amount you want to lose first of all set your weight loss goal no higher than 1 pound a week. By the time you are halfway to your goal you should switch that to only half a pound a week. Also realize that the calorie deficit is already built into your daily calorie goal (I call it a goal because you are to eat that amount, not be way below it). That means to keep that deficit moderate you need to eat the calories you burn exercising at least in par 75% or so. Measure the food you are eating carefully. Don't estimate amounts. Doing this you will lose weight.

Second, you state you want to gain muscle. Gaining muscle in a calorie deficit is almost impossible. There are instances where it happens with people new to lifting weights, or people who had a lot of muscle returning to lifting weights, but generally to put on muscle requires eating more than maintenance calories. Add to this the fact you are female meaning you will have a much more difficult time putting muscle on, and a more reasonable goal at this point would be maintain the muscle you have.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants is well worth the read.

As is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

I am not new to lifting weights so Im finding that I am experiencing some muscle growth, not a hell of a lot but thats ok, I only want a little bit mainly in my back and shoulders. The rest I am happy with.

With the calories, like I said, I am satisfied with what im eating. I dont feel hungry and on days where I may train a lot harder, I will eat more or bigger portions.
  • rebeccastacey91
    Options
    If you aren't eating back all those exercise calories then you are starving yourself, you need many more.
    I dont feel hungry. Trust me when I say I love food. I would not pass up an opportunity to eat if I were hungry.
  • rebeccastacey91
    Options
    Bump