Anyone else gone off alcohol?

Options

Replies

• toofatandy
    toofatandy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have 4 beers every Wednesday after 18 holes of golf. (pulling clubs)

No golf no beer.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Haven't had any alcohol in over a month!

I miss it :(
  • iseanu3
    Options
    I think its really commendable those of you who stopped drinking. It makes me think if you can do, I can do it. I am tired of my weight and I'm just about willing to do whatever it takes to get it off. I'll give it up for a week and report back. Thank you all for your posts.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I can't stop anything that I know I'm going to start back up again later. So instead of cutting it out, I'm cutting back. But I do have nights where I drink and don't worry about it. Last weekend we had friends in town and I didn't even count calories for the entire weekend, still down half a pound.
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is my hard limit. I cannot give it up. I have cut way back, only having beer 1 time a week & wine 1 or 2 times. :drinker:
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. My husband & I are usually regular drinkers. We go through periods of drinking more and less. My weight doesn't take a hit with drinking as long as I'm working out regularly. I can still log and not really count the alcohol calories and lose weight, as long as I'm working out. Otherwise, I gain and feel poorly. When I do drink, however, it's dry wine or vodka soda with lemon--not high-calorie, sugar-laden drinks. When I go out for drinks with friends I try to always have a pint glass of water or soda water between each drink.

Exactly.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a drinker, but I was up to having a glass of wine 4-5 nights a week. Now, I might have one glass for a special weekend meal, or one glass sporadically during the week for a special treat. Mostly, I drink tea at night.

I hate wasting calories, and I definitely notice a big drop in my ability to work out the next day if I had a couple beers or something the night before. I've got to say, I feel so much better! And I wasn't really drinking much to begin with. I'm sure the feeling better is in conjunction with the more tea and better food, but the cutting out of booze has definitely played a part.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm trying. It's hard, especially when drinking is what you often do with friends.
  • PrairieSlims
    PrairieSlims Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Anyone? I have decided to drop it while I'm dieting. First of all, I can never have just one glass of white wine...and in the past, even though I've calculated in a gin with diet tonic, I've just never lost weight.
    If I were to try and fit two drinks into my 1200 cals I'd hardly have room for any food as well.

It's a little ****ty as I'm used to having wine with dinner, and I'll have to skip on going out with friends as well.

Anyone in the same boat? Do you notice that the weight loss is more effective?

I would rather eat my calories but I would ask myself if I continue have x number of drinks nightly or whatever, in a year what is it going to do to me and also in years to come. A person's tolerance level increases too which means you need more alcohol to get the same effect as what one drink used to do. What is it doing to my health?
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am trying to give it up because I know it contributes to my inability to lose the 10 pounds that's been plaguing me forever. I am in a profession with tons of social things and I have a lot of personal social things - happy hours, dinners, entertaining, etc. That makes it hard.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    After last night I have decided I definitely need to give it up for a while. After drinking I get super hungry as well, and yesterday I was probably up in 1800 cals, meaning I lost nothing.

It's so hard though..anyone got tips?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I wish!!!

So far all I've managed is to cut down on red wine.

I have switched when I drink though (I've moved from all the time - to only when I have a full stomach).

I think this applies mainly to wine (preferably red). If you drink it on a full (fullish) stomach. the pyloric sphincter muscle to your small intestines would have closed in order to allow you stomach acids to digest the food you have eaten.

Red wine has a ph lever closer to your stomach acids (than say water - which if drank with a meal would dilute your stomach acids and make them less effective).

Therefore the red wine can aid in food digestion (and also spend more time in the stomach being broken down by the stomach enzymes) and will not have the same effect on your liver than if it had been drank on an empty stomach and had been absorbed in your small intestines neat.

Well this is my justification for still have a glass or two.

Good luck cutting back everyone.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand why you can't go out with friends without drinking.

I've had maybe 2 drinks in the last 6 months. Not a problem for me, but I realize we're all different. For me it was the easiest thing to drop.
  • iseanu3
    Options
    We are all different. It's a blessing when this not an issue. Believe me...
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i had to stop drinking for a few years because it didn't mix well with a med i was taking... definitely helped when i was losing weight back then. now i only drink once in a while, but its tough because my friends like to drink a lot :/ anyway, there is tons of sugar in alcohol and it just isn't worth it in the end if you are trying to lose weight. you made a good decision cutting it out.
  • mghomula
    mghomula Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE oenophile. Meaning, I am a total wine geek. I collect and enjoy wine immensely and I have a wine cellar that currently sits at over 2,000 bottles. I never drank a lot but enjoy wine for social occasions, with food and opening up some gem of a bottle from time to time

All that said, I began my lifestyle change on 1/2/14, I track my calories meticulously (annoying everyone around me by the way) and I quickly realized that my love of wine had to take a temporary backseat to my love and desire to get fit and overhaul my lifestyle. It was REALLY hard at the beginning but less hard now a month and a half in. Someone earlier in this thread said it right, I would rather eat my calories then drink them because the wine if full of empty calories.

I miss wine terribly but I have had it occasionally with a meal here and there. I just know I will enjoy it more once I get to a healthy weight and I know I can meet my daily workout/activity goals. I will never be able to drink as much as I once did but I am confident I will appreciate it more and enjoy it more knowing that I am healthier, more energetic and feeling much better about my fitness level.

The hardest thing is keeping my hands off all the fabulous Bordeaux I have in my cellar!
  • Angold83
    Angold83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat my calories!
    ^This!

100% this!!
  • Loprez
    Loprez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I stopped my nightly glass or two (or three) of wine during the week. I was always snacking with my evening drinks and it's been easier to not snack now that I've it cut out. I've limited myself to wine or beer on either Friday night or Saturday night and ONLY if I've hit the gym or treadmill that day.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Been off the booze since Jan 1 - but I have a wedding next weekend - mixed emotions right now!

In my experience it's twice as hard to loose weight and drink!

Same here, but no wedding to attend, my choice point will be in April when I have Royal Navy reunion to attend, and "tot time" is part of it. I will have to see how it goes on the day after over 3 months booze free, but do not intend being teetotal for rest of my life, but nor do I intend going the pub every day either
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    I drink about once a week now (3-4 glasses of wine or a few beers) instead of 3-4 times a week. The only thing that bothers me is that it makes eating so much more fun so it's more about control of eating while I'm drinking than the actual drinking :) I tried to drink more mixed drinks (whiskey and diet coke, etc) to conserve calories, but I really prefer some good wine!