When you're a bit ill and stressed.

CharlieWolt
CharlieWolt Posts: 15
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
So I feel like going to the gym, like I really do want to - because I have work tonight and I always get really hungry after work and eat a lot and my calories have been pretty up and down lately.

But I woke up with blocked nose and heavy head and I've got a lot on my mind right now and I just don't know whether to go or not.

Cos physically there are cold air-cons in the gym and I could get a permanent cold - and I'm going overseas in 6 days so I dont want to be sick, Or it could give me a headache and I have work later.

As for stress, I don't think walking on the treadmill etc is going to help take my mind off of anything, or maybe it will.

But if I don't go then I'll probably feel guilty - to go or not to go, that is the question.

Replies

• meeshers
    meeshers Posts: 73 Member
    maybe go but do a lighter workout than usual so you don't overtax your poor stuffed head! just an idea. i was feeling the same way the other night, but just did it and ended up doing a great workout (and i felt WAY better the next day!) but make sure you're listening to your body :happy:
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    I have a suggestion on a different part of your post (something other than the gym part). I always eat a small afternoon snack (100-200 calories) in the afternoon so I'm not starving when I get home.

Maybe if you have a small snack in the afternoon it would be much easier not to overeat at night. It will stabilize your blood sugars so you don't feel ravenous and then you will feel more in control of what you are choosing to eat.
  • Does your gym have a pool? If so, go for a swim and really concentrate on your breathing. That usually helps clear up my sinuses and lungs.
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Go :) Bring your own lysol/clorox cleaning wipes and truly disinfect anything you touch...that way you won't pick anything additional up...a long fast walk on the treadmill can do a world of good (for body and soul)! Or bubdle up if it is cold where you live and get some fresh air during a walk! Enjoy it!
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    the more you sit an focus on the fact that you're sick, the more sick you become. the mind is a powerful thing. ive noticed when im at work and im sick i forget im sick cuz im so focused on work. my symptoms even disappear. but the minute i walk into my bedroom and lay down BOOM! symptoms return. think about that.
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Go to the gym. Just make a pact with yourself that you'll go for 15 minutes. After that if you still don't feel well or, if you mood/stress/physical feelings have not improved, give yourself permission to leave. That way, you've given it your best shot and there's no guilt involved.

I made this deal wth myself and I almost always stay. There's only been one time I've left and I was truly coming down with a bug. You'll know after you get there what to do and you won't be there long enough to make a difference in whether you're going to be sicker. Just make sure to use proper hygiene in case you ARE sick so you don't infect others.

Betcha end up staying.
This discussion has been closed.