Lumo Lift?

Options
I just saw an advertisement on MFP for it and clicked on it. It looks similar to a Fitibit, but also will detect when you are slouching and vibrate slightly (if you want it to) to remind you to sit up straight. Looks interesting and like they are going to be competing with Fitbit. I have neck/back issues that are made worse by not sitting up straight. Anyone else looked into these? I like gadgets.:blushing:

Replies

• emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Shameless bump
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily!

I've been using my Lumo Back for about 6 weeks now. I would *highly* recommend it if you're a habitual sloucher like I've been most of my life. It won't detect slouching in your upper back, only the lower, but my posture has still improved a lot. I find it really motivating to see the hourly, daily, weekly, monthly totals of all the data. I try to see how little time I can get away with sitting in a given day. It tracks steps (walking and running), sitting/standing/stepping/driving, % of time spent straight vs. slouching, how many times you stand up, and your sleeping positions and time. I just love it. I've gotten used to standing and walking a lot more and find it very motivating.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your review!!!:)
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I ordered one when bored at work the other day. I can't wait to stop slouching!
  • rjweerth
    rjweerth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can anyone else who has purchased the Lumo Lift give me more feedback?

I have the Jawbone, but am very interested in the vibrating feature to avoid shoulder slouching. I'm curious if the Lumo Lift integrates with MFP as well as the Jawbone bracelet.
  • GeoFan49
    GeoFan49 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My LUMO LIFT REVIEW, one week in...

Pre-ordered my Lumo Lift from Lumo BodyTech in February. Just got it last week (mid-August) and they recently said all pre-orders will be shipped by the end of August. I paid $69 and the current MSRP is $99. They sold over 15,000 by the end of pre-orders in early February, over a million bucks worth of orders.

1. There is a Lumo Lift app (iOS-only — iPhone and iPad a-okay — no Android yet, nor Mac nor Windows app yet.) They said BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) is a known problem for Lumo with Android.

2. I can sync with the LumoLift APP — but not with the MyFitnessPal app — MFP needs an update to support LL.

3. The Lumo Lift often loses data — the device resets, it seems, when you re-link with the app. So, my entire first week of data is lost. DO NOT RELINK, just sync, if you don't want to lose your precious historical data. A good app would keep all the data.

4. The "Coaching sessions" or "PowerUP" mode can be set to 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, or one hour sessions. This works well. If you lean forward or back, you get a subtle buzz every few seconds to remind you to correct your posture. This is the best feature of the Lumo Lift. The other features are disappointing, so far.

5. The calorie and activity level monitoring seems to be hit or miss. You must walk FAST or it considers you AT REST.

6. The Lumo Lift app is minimalist. No charts. Maybe MyFitnessPal will help there?

7. The terminology in the tiny, minimalist manual, their website, their blog, the app, and the support site are inconsistent and confusing. They use different names for functions everywhere.
  • GeoFan49
    Options
    Bottom line: Lumo Lift works very well as a “posture coach” and poorly as a fitness or activity monitor. Unsuitable as a pedometer, which is very disappointing. Entirely useless as a sleep monitor. The Lumo Lift iPad app is also very disappointing. So far, it seems Lumo Lift is a toy, not a real activity monitor.

I have a few more weeks to decide about returning it, or keeping it.

It could be improved... It's just a matter of software and firmware... If they can add pedometer and sleep monitor capabilities it would be great. It currently does NOT discern between sleeping, reclining, sitting, standing, or a leisurely walk. To register any activity, you must walk very briskly. So, it is unsuitable as a pedometer or calorie monitor. It works very well as a posture coach, gently reminding you to sit or stand erect if you slouch or lean. If that's all you want, it's good. I had expected much more than that.
  • GeoFan49
    Options
    :smile: :blushing: Update — a few more days in... I have just now discovered how to use the Lumo Lift app :: AHA! You have to tap the screen to get daily pedometer (steps and distance) and calorie data... My bad, but there is NO DOCUMENTATION found that mentions how to access that feature. Hint: tap the basics-display screen for more info :: current hourly data, then swipe right for previous day summaries, and swipe up for hourly details. The tiny hint at the very bottom of the screen (^) means you can swipe anywhere, not just at the bottom. :tongue:

Still, it does not seem to distinguish between sleeping, reclining, sitting, or standing — so it appears the activity calorie feature only records BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) for those? Sitting vs. standing vs. walking vs. running... Those should have different caloric rates, especially since I happen to have a standup desk! :wink:

The app currently does NOT seem to discern between sleeping, reclining, sitting, standing, or a leisurely walk. To register time spent as any activity, you must walk very briskly? :brokenheart:

:indifferent: Seven out of the nine fitness trackers and activity monitors I looked at before pre-ordering the Lumo Lift back in February had a sleep monitor function. Will this be added to the Lumo Lift app?
  • patceelou
    Options
    I was one of those that preordered, in February. I received mine a yesterday.

Initial opinions, with ratings of 1 (poor) to 5 (excellent):

The manual: Rating 1 :noway:
    * Is printed on nice glossy paper. I give a "5",
    * It is very small and square in shape. When measured against my debit card, it is about 1-1/3 size the width of the debit card in both width and height. This may have been done to save money as they try to get the business off the ground. I give a "2"
    * They seem to be relying primarily on pictures for user instructions. Perhaps this is because they needed to convey how to use it in a single language. I'm guessing this, too, was a cost-saving measure. However, those of us who learn better with words than pictures, it's confusing and provides inadequate information for using the Lumo Lift. I give a "2"
    * The print is very light in color and very small in font size, which translates to very small lettering, in low contrast, on a white background. It is "pretty" on the paper, but was impossible to read without assitance. I actually had to use a magnifying glass to read the manual. I'm barely a"senior" in age and am able to function just fine, generally. I assume the team that designed this start-up are all young twenty-somethings. They were probably designing to save money, and to make the manual look nice, without thinking that it is a terrible design for people who do not have young healthy twenty-something eyes. I give a "1" -- or less.

The packaging: Rating 4 :ohwell:
    * The LumoLift was nicely packaged and Looked nice. Rating 5
    * It took a while to figure out how to get into, it though. Most packaging, unless something states otherwise, is opened from the top. Not the LumoLift. Opening from the top was impossible. Once I finally figured out that by putting my fingernail in the seam on the bottom, it would open right up, it opened easily. A simple "open from here" with an arrow would be an easy fix. Rating 3

The apps:: Rating 0 :frown:
    * The LumoLift does not support either Windows OS, or Android OS smartphone. I have both. So, the only information gleaned from the use of this device, in my case, is to remind me I am slouching. According to w3schools, in 2005 windows has about 90% of the market share. To release LumoLift without Windows app capability seems short-sighted when it comes to "wow-ing" early purchasers.
    * Android OS smartphone users: Zdnet.com states Android has 75% of the market share amog smartphone users. Again, why wouldn't a company go where the market share is?

The device: Rating 3 :yawn:
    * Is streamlined, modern, discreet, and nice-looking.
    * However, because the instructions are sorely lacking it it isn't a turn-key ready device. It's confusing when trying to figure out what all the little pieces and magnets are for. What other part are they to be paired with? Nothing tells us.
    * So far (remember, please, I've only had it a single day) it seems to do a fairly good job of reminding me not to slouch.
    * The vibrations are gentle. You need the device quite snugly placed against your body. However, even when placed on some parts of my bra, the vibrations aren't very strong.

Overall opinion "3"
    I knew I was taking a flying leap by pre-ordering, in order to save a little money and to help a fledgling company get the capital it needed to get off the ground. However, it's still a baby company and needs some tweaks. I wouldn't pay $99 for it yet, however. On the other hand, if it helps me with my posture I'll consider it worth what I did pay for it -- $69, if I remember right (it's been 6 months).
    I would give an overall rating of "3" though much of the rating because I don't think it's quite ready for prime time based on the reasons stated, above

I'm surmising they may simply hope to sell the device to a more established company who is already in this area, and make some big bucks, rather than build a single business. Only time will tell. I guess I don't care. just want something that works, and works well.
  • GeoFan49
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oops... Sorry... See below... Revised... Cannot delete... :s
  • GeoFan49
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ✅ Lumo Lift Review – innovative wearable activity tracking wireless device

NEEDS MYFITNESSPAL INTEGRATION!

The LUMO LIFT activity and posture tracker gives me incentives and reminders to be more active and maintain better posture. The pedometer and activity monitor have been improved – their accuracy was disappointing – it's getting better. Trend graphing is a very useful addition! Awaiting more improvements in future versions.

B) The app, website, blog, and videos are helpful, and the support staff is responsive.

:\ Personal goals cannot be customized, yet.

The biomechanics/ergonomic/biometric activity model is mostly hard coded, and too simplistic – the only inputs are: Age, M/F, Height, and Weight. There are no inputs to personalize for your individual goals, lifestyle, stride length, lean mass, or BMR/RMR – so calorie counts and distances are useful for seeing relative trends (day-to-day) but are only rough estimates.

Distance (for a measured mile walk) is usually within about 10% to 15% accuracy, not too bad. Could be improved if stride length were measured.

Calories can be way off due to inaccurate BMR/RMR and activity estimates, but are generally within 20% to 30%, good enough?

Activities like gardening and yoga are not slouching – this is another defect in the posture tracking algorithm – when your body is in motion, that's not really slouching – don't buzz me, bro!

PROS: Gives incentives and subtle reminders to improve posture and activity levels. Elegant and simple physical design. Works as a simple posture monitor with intermittent feedback while sitting or standing. Responsive, conscientious support staff. Product improvements ongoing.

CONS: No sleep monitor. Does not allow users to set their own goals for activity levels, sensitivity settings, stride length, BMR/RMR. There is very limited user input to calibrate the biomechanics model – only age, weight, M/F, and height – all other variables are derived, estimated, or hardcoded. There is no user data export (but weekly summaries may be available via email.)

(*) Bottom line: Satisfied, not delighted. YMMV. Helps me improve posture and activity levels. Useful for seeing relative trends (day-to-day) and very rough estimates for calories and distances.

Pre-ordered in January 2014, delivered in August. Looking forward to ongoing improvements, especially the MyFitnessPal integration and firmware/algo/app upgrades for more accurate pedometer, calories, and activity tracking.

Written: August 25, 2014.
    Last updated: November 7, 2014.

★★★★★ 5/5 stars due to recent app and firmware improvements and responsive support!
  • GeoFan49
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The user manual (Lumo Lift Quick Start Guide) is here

lumobodytech.com/2014/08/lumo-lift-quick-start-guide/

bsdui63d4yui.jpg

c7pujdcav2t8.jpg