Cardio or weight lifting? Need Advise!

Options
I'm 6'5 320 and I do want to lose weight, but I also want to build muscle. I am a little confused on my path I should take. Should I do cardio to lose weight first and then bulk up? Or should I be trying to build muscle while losing weight? ANY suggestions of people that REALLY know what their talking about would be GREAT!

Replies

• _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    First make sure your Doc says doing both is safe for you. If so - why not both if your body can handle it? All the advice I see says the weight lifting helps with the fat loss and is as important as cardio - but I'm not an expert. The most important thing I know is to accurately weigh and log ALL of your intake. I'm 6'4 and topped out at 300. I changed my eating habits and walked my way to 260. Now that I'm used to moving some more I'm in my second week of strength training, I feel great, and weight keeps dropping.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    They sort of do two separate but complementary things. Cardio uses up energy and helps reduce weight that way, while lifting tightens up what's left (I lost ~4 cm from my waist before I even started calorie counting from lifting) and reduces size that way. I do a bit of both.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    From what I've gathered you can't gain muscle in a calorie deficiet you need a slight surplus over maintainance. So pick a goal-- lose fat or gain muscle. Since you are looking to lose weight focus on fat loss. With that being said weight training is still important when you're trying to lose weight. It's the whole use it or lose it thing. When your lifting weights your body is getting the message that hey it should hold onto what muscle you do have. If your not using your muscles your body has no real reason to hold onto what you do have and your more likely to lose muscle just as much as fat when you lose weight.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Don't wait- start lifting now. Do some cardio, too. Both is a really good plan.

Weightlifting 3x/week 30-45 mins
    Cardio 2-3x/week, 30 mins.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered you can't gain muscle in a calorie deficiet you need a slight surplus over maintainance. So pick a goal-- lose fat or gain muscle. Since you are looking to lose weight focus on fat loss. With that being said weight training is still important when you're trying to lose weight. It's the whole use it or lose it thing. When your lifting weights your body is getting the message that hey it should hold onto what muscle you do have. If your not using your muscles your body has no real reason to hold onto what you do have and your more likely to lose muscle just as much as fat when you lose weight.

Not true its slower but not impossible to build muscle on deficit. Do both!
  • Banothebano
    Options

Exactly this.

Preserving your LBM while losing fat is the best way to lose weight.
  • Whambam087
    Options

Not true its slower but not impossible to build muscle on deficit. Do both!
    That's debated by many people all the time lol. Regardless for favorable body comp with weight loss OP should lift weights
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't wait- start lifting now. Do some cardio, too. Both is a really good plan.

Weightlifting 3x/week 30-45 mins
    Cardio 2-3x/week, 30 mins.

This. Both activities burn calories, weightlifting will help you maintain the muscle you already have while you lose weight.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i lost all my weight from heavy lifting and dieting, when i started i hadn't lifted in like 3 years so i was really starting from scratch.
  • SmokinJoe77
    SmokinJoe77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lose to your target weight first then focus on building bulk. Losing weight will give you a step 1 goal and you'll see results quicker in that area giving you motivation to keep going. Do weight loss weight training as well as cardio. I (re)started in January and have lost 18 lbs so far this year.

Building bulk is counter-intuitive of weight loss. You have to increase your food intake (carbs and proteins for starters) which will be working against your efforts to lose weight. On the other hand, concentrating on losing weight deprives your muscles of the fuel needed to build.

Another way to look at it is your muscle tone will show quicker if you're thinner.

Just my opinion.
  • fitfoutch
    fitfoutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you are true beginner, you can add muscle mass on a calorie deficit, because you excess body fat to use as fuel. This won't last for long however. I can say without a doubt, to start lifting weights now. Lift HEAVY (safely of course). Use cardio a supplemental activity to lose weight. The more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn on daily basis.

Building bulk is not counter-intuitive of weight loss. More muscle serves you in the long run. Lifting weights truly can reshape your body in ways cardio can not do.

Side note- I'm amazed at the amount of misinformed people on this site.
  • bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    If you are true beginner, you can add muscle mass on a calorie deficit, because you excess body fat to use as fuel. This won't last for long however. I can say without a doubt, to start lifting weights now. Lift HEAVY (safely of course). Use cardio a supplemental activity to lose weight. The more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn on daily basis.

Building bulk is not counter-intuitive of weight loss. More muscle serves you in the long run. Lifting weights truly can reshape your body in ways cardio can not do.

Side note- I'm amazed at the amount of misinformed people on this site.
    The misinformation of course is a huge problem especially when I'm not really sure what is the "correct" info. Should I lift weights every other day with increased protein and then on off days do cardio with lower cals?
  • fitfoutch
    fitfoutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What is your current fitness level? Do you have a desk job, or a physical one? Have you lifted weights in the past? How many times per week are you exercising right now?

Have you had a chance to properly set up your caloric needs for weight loss? www.iffym.com is a great tool for this, as it offers a few options to customize your goals, current stats, and can break down the basics, so you can create a road map for yourself.

I don't recommend changing carbs/calories based on what you do, or do not do on a specific day. You need to supply yourself the proper amount of carbs, fat, protein and fiber every day. Daily changes quickly become complicated, and are unnecessary.

Once I have some more info from you, I can offer more advise on workouts and such.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You should be lifting weights to preserve muscle as you lose and cardio because it's good for your cardiovascular system and burns calories.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    check out the hodge twins on youtube. they lost a lot of weight and are now working on bulking up. They give great advice on just this subject. Plus they are real funny. I don't see why you cant do both but I suggest circuirt training. THis way you get your heart pumping while your muscles get a great workout. Its a great way to combine them
  • bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    What is your current fitness level? Do you have a desk job, or a physical one? Have you lifted weights in the past? How many times per week are you exercising right now?

Have you had a chance to properly set up your caloric needs for weight loss? www.iffym.com is a great tool for this, as it offers a few options to customize your goals, current stats, and can break down the basics, so you can create a road map for yourself.

I don't recommend changing carbs/calories based on what you do, or do not do on a specific day. You need to supply yourself the proper amount of carbs, fat, protein and fiber every day. Daily changes quickly become complicated, and are unnecessary.

Once I have some more info from you, I can offer more advise on workouts and such.
    Teacher. Yes I have lifted. 4-5 times per week cardio (30-45min) plus using dumbbells for chest and arms. Calories needs set up with MFP. I have a ton of motivation to do both (weight loss and bulking up), but not the knowledge of nutrition to do both at the same time.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You should eat at a moderate deficit and lift weights.

This will:
    1. Help you retain your current muscle (maybe even add a little). Almost all weight lost will be body fat.
    2. Make you stronger which will be very helpful when you start to add mass after losing weight.

Add cardio if you want but it is not necessary for weight loss or muscle building/maintenance.

• ProudMom2Jade
    ProudMom2Jade Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    More muscle= higher metabolism. I think what I would do would be to alternate days. Do a few days of strength training where you are eating well, especially protein. Then have some low days where you do cardio and go for the deficit. You could do alternating days or 2 on, 2 off--like upper body one day, lower the next then 2 cardio, upper body, lower body, upper body, one day cardio or a day off. Eat lean protein and clean foods. Good luck.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    You should eat at a moderate deficit and lift weights.

This will:
    1. Help you retain your current muscle (maybe even add a little). Almost all weight lost will be body fat.
    2. Make you stronger which will be very helpful when you start to add mass after losing weight.

Add cardio if you want but it is not necessary for weight loss or muscle building/maintenance.
  • allysteven880
    Options
    Both are very important so, don't waste your time. do lifting first and then start cardio.