Looking to lose 50 lbs in 3 months

Options
My current weight is 220 i am 27 and i am getting married july 4 i want to lose 50-70 lbs, i know nothing about exercise or dieting i am looking for some peoples stories and maybe some tips or an exercise routine i can do that will help me

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome!
    Secondly, that's a HUGE amount of weight to lose in 3 months. I have been here two years and lost 70lbs (I started around 237lbs) so please don't be discouraged if you don't reach your goal before your wedding. Just carry on your healthy habits into your new life together and eventually you'll get there. There's a lot of great information on the forums, remember to use the search function and lean as much as you can!

EDIT: Please don't listen to the above advice. 800 calories is not enough food, especially if you intend to exercise on top of that. Stick to the calorie goals MFP assigned to you.
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    You probably won't like this but a sensible and sustainable weight loss should be 1 to 2 pounds per week. If you set yourself an unreasonable target you will just feel bad if you don't achieve it.

I have successfully lost weight several times over many years and, for me, the only way to do it is calorie counting. MFP really helps with that. It also helps you to get a perspective on what foods are healthy and in what quantity you should be eating them. Don't completely deny yourself 'treats' but make them small and just once a day (eg, a chocolate biscuit after your evening meal.) It gives you something to look forward to and helps to satisfy any sweet tooth cravings.

Good luck and congratulations on your Wedding.
  • Trishsimon
    Options
    My current weight is 220 i am 27 and i am getting married july 4 i want to lose 50-70 lbs, i know nothing about exercise or dieting i am looking for some peoples stories and maybe some tips or an exercise routine i can do that will help me

Sorry but there is no quick fix you would need to lose just over 3lbs a week to lose 50lbs by the end of June, if you think you can do then go for it but remember the slower it comes off the longer it will stay off.
    I suggest following a strict 1200 calorie a day diet or whatever is recommended for you from MFP and exercise 5 times a week high intensity speak to someone about the types or level of exercise that will help you achieve your goal but more importantly is safe for you. Don't do any crash diets as the weight will always come back on and more with it and please dont take diet pills they dont work and are unsafe.
    If you are really determined follow the diet plan on here cut out bad foods as in whatever is your weakness mine being bread and savory foods so I've cut down and alcohol if you drink it...have a treat every now and again something small just so you dont feel you are not enjoying the healthy eating plan and best of luck !
  • Trishsimon
    Options
    Hi Janieboo,

50 - 70lbs in 3 months could be a little unhealthy but it's not that long of a period of time so dw gurl it'll be all good, i'll help you out start off aggressive. you could try dropping your calories straight to about 800 a day. eat whatever you want but only 800 calories worth of it then that's it. drink only water try and get everything low sodium aswell and you should probably walk for about 45 minutes a day at a solid pace and you'll be on the right path to losing close to 70lbs before your big day!!! :D xD

Good luck babe
    God Bless u xo <3

Very bad advice dont listen !!
  • Trishsimon
    Options
    First of all, welcome!
    Secondly, that's a HUGE amount of weight to lose in 3 months. I have been here two years and lost 70lbs (I started around 237lbs) so please don't be discouraged if you don't reach your goal before your wedding. Just carry on your healthy habits into your new life together and eventually you'll get there. There's a lot of great information on the forums, remember to use the search function and lean as much as you can!

EDIT: Please don't listen to the above advice. 800 calories is not enough food, especially if you intend to exercise on top of that. Stick to the calorie goals MFP assigned to you.

Glad to someone else has sense on here regarding calorie control.
  • 9chimera11
    9chimera11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for the upcoming happy day! :D

Ok the basic calculation goes like this.

In order to lose 1 lbs in a week you have to burn 3500 calories. Which means per day you have burn 500 calories.

You can burn 500 calories a day with a proper diet and exercise,.

Given below are some of the tricks that works for me. Maybe you can get an idea with that.

1. Never eat anything less than 1200 calories. You need this much of calories for your basic body functions. Do not starve yourself.

2. Drink about 2 litres of water daily.

3. Eat 3 meals with 2 snacks in between.

4. Try not to eat too much processed food or fizzy drinks.

5. Exercise daily. Both cardio and weight-lifting are important. I do weight-lifting 3 days a week and cardio everyday for at least 45 minutes. [There is a technique called High Intensity. I can't do that due to weak knees. So I go low intensity].

6. TRACK EVERYTHING you eat. This might not look that important, but if you can do this for a week, you would see how, when what food that we eat add unnecessary calories.

7. I do not believe in cheat meals but you can keep one meal every week to eat anything you like. This habit I tried unsuccessfully because it makes my food cravings become really bad. Its easier to avoid it all together and forget about how it tasted than eating it once a week and crave for it the rest of the week :D

These are the very basic steps. Feel free to drop me a message if you like :)

Good luck!

EDIT: Please re-think about eating 800 calories because it is an extreme diet. Also, 3 months is a rather too short a period to lose 50 - 70 lbs.
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    DO NOT whatever you do eat 800 calories a day. Worst advice ever. Make sure you eat enough to sustain you activity levels and don't go hungry!

Start slowly, begin cutting out things in your diet which aren't nutritious, like snack foods such as chocolate, cookies, crisps etc. Eat more protein, veg and complex carbs like whole grain foods.

Up your activity levels, try walking or swimming or low impact aerobics if you aren't used to working out and build it up slowly.

If you make this into a quest to lose as much weight as possible in as little time as possible then it could soon turn into a yo-yo. The most successful way to do this is to make it a lifestyle change rather than a diet, and that may make it difficult to lose that much weight in that little time.

I don't want to discourage you because it's great that you've decided to lose some weight :) just do it safely! And congratulations on the wedding, mine is on the 5th July :) x
  • Janieboo42
    Options
    You look great Btw, 3 years ago i lost weight i got down to about 160 then i don't know what happened, it was a stressful time in my life and i put the weight back on, i think if i could just start losing weight i would feel about better about my self, i just need support buddies i think ya know
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi Janieboo,

50 - 70lbs in 3 months could be a little unhealthy but it's not that long of a period of time so dw gurl it'll be all good, i'll help you out start off aggressive. you could try dropping your calories straight to about 800 a day. eat whatever you want but only 800 calories worth of it then that's it. drink only water try and get everything low sodium aswell and you should probably walk for about 45 minutes a day at a solid pace and you'll be on the right path to losing close to 70lbs before your big day!!! :D xD

Good luck babe
    God Bless u xo <3

:huh: no.
  • gem192
    gem192 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Surely a troll? Nobody could seriously think that they could lose 50lbs in 3 months, could they?

Also, anyone with a brain in their head will learn that 800 calories a day is a bad idea about a day after starting.

When you joined MFP it will have set goals for you. Follow them.
  • Janieboo42
    Options
    DO NOT whatever you do eat 800 calories a day. Worst advice ever. Make sure you eat enough to sustain you activity levels and don't go hungry!

Start slowly, begin cutting out things in your diet which aren't nutritious, like snack foods such as chocolate, cookies, crisps etc. Eat more protein, veg and complex carbs like whole grain foods.

Up your activity levels, try walking or swimming or low impact aerobics if you aren't used to working out and build it up slowly.

If you make this into a quest to lose as much weight as possible in as little time as possible then it could soon turn into a yo-yo. The most successful way to do this is to make it a lifestyle change rather than a diet, and that may make it difficult to lose that much weight in that little time.

I don't want to discourage you because it's great that you've decided to lose some weight :) just do it safely! And congratulations on the wedding, mine is on the 5th July :) x

Thanks for the advice, and congratulations :-) i haven't worked out in awhile so i know i need to build it up i know it is kinda outrageous to think i could lose that much in 3 months, i had seen some post of people saying they had...if i could just lost 20 i would be happy
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi Janieboo,

Good luck babe
    God Bless u xo <3

Noooooo, nooooo, noooooo. 800 is far too low!!!!

OP if you amputate a limb you could achieve it fairly easily, but this is not a realistic goal and even if you do manage to achieve it you will almost definitely gain it back afterwards. Do you want your honeymoon to become a massive binge fest? No. You will have lots of wedding planning to do and trying to manage that while starving yourself is just nonsense. You didn't gain 70lb in 3 months so it is just unrealistic to think you can lose it before then.

Eta: 20lb is much more realistic, good luck.
  • Janieboo42
    Options
    Surely a troll? Nobody could seriously think that they could lose 50lbs in 3 months, could they?

Also, anyone with a brain in their head will learn that 800 calories a day is a bad idea about a day after starting.

No i'm not a troll, i am on here to get advice which i am
  • Janieboo42
    Options
    Hi Janieboo,

Good luck babe
    God Bless u xo <3

Noooooo, nooooo, noooooo. 800 is far too low!!!!

OP if you amputate a limb you could achieve it fairly easily, but this is not a realistic goal and even if you do manage to achieve it you will almost definitely gain it back afterwards. Do you want your honeymoon to become a massive binge fest? No. You will have lots of wedding planning to do and trying to manage that while starving yourself is just nonsense. You didn't gain 70lb in 3 months so it is just unrealistic to think you can lose it before then.

yea i know, i have just put on so much weight here recently its just killing me, its to the point to where i don't feel good anymore i just want to get started losing weight
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome!

Glad to someone else has sense on here regarding calorie control.

Must agree with this one. It is possible to loose a lot of weight in a fast amount of time - but would you want to if you knew where it was coming from.

Eating a deficit of 3500 cals per week is healthy as long as your eating a balanced high protein diet and probably doing so exercise (preferably resistance training).

3500 cals is equal in lose to:

Body Fat = 1lb
    50% body fat - 50% Lean Mass = 1.7lb
    Lean Mass = 5.8lb

So in theory you could be losing about 6lb a week (just like a lot of the fad diets promise).

But here's the thing DO NOT DO IT!! it's unhealthy and dangerous, as you will be losing it all from lean mass and nothing from body fat (which after all is the goal0.

Oh by the way lean mass is MUSCLES, BONE, CONNECTIVE TISSUE, SINEW AND ORGANS. They don't tell you that on the slimfast bottle.

If you eat a high protein (percentage - make protein your priority) and hit the gym or your local park and do so resistance training (couple of times a week for about 45 mins - you don't have to live at the gym). you will be 1) sparing your muscle when you start losing weight. 2) changing your body composition to looking good.

If you start now then in 3 months you may not be ripped to hell but you will feel a lot healthier and will be well on the journey to being where you want to be.

Final thing don't get too hung up on the scales. Its how loose your clothes feel that will tell you if you're heading in the right direction.

Good luck and congrats on the wedding.
  • janny47rose
    Options
    My name is Jan and I am new to this site. I would say ignore all rude and condescending messages. Its all a mind thing - you can lose weight if you are determined. Lose weight by being sensible and eating healthy food and going for a brisk walk every day, pushing a pushchair uphill will make it more effective!( If you have a young child) Certainly count calories to guide you and weigh your food. Plan ahead so that you have always got something you can eat when you get hungry. Make shopping lists for a week ahead. All this works for me. 1200 calories is a good amount to aim at.
    I am a granny and have been overweight for most of my life. I am now trying to get healthy as I don't want diabetes etc. Good luck !
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    My name is Jan and I am new to this site. I would say ignore all rude and condescending messages. Its all a mind thing - you can lose weight if you are determined. Lose weight by being sensible and eating healthy food and going for a brisk walk every day, pushing a pushchair uphill will make it more effective!( If you have a young child) Certainly count calories to guide you and weigh your food. Plan ahead so that you have always got something you can eat when you get hungry. Make shopping lists for a week ahead. All this works for me. 1200 calories is a good amount to aim at.
    I am a granny and have been overweight for most of my life. I am now trying to get healthy as I don't want diabetes etc. Good luck !

Sound advice Jan.

Welcome. Newbie myself.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

Thanks for the advice, and congratulations :-) i haven't worked out in awhile so i know i need to build it up i know it is kinda outrageous to think i could lose that much in 3 months, i had seen some post of people saying they had...if i could just lost 20 i would be happy
    20 lbs in 3 months with your starting weigh seams to be reasonable. Go with that goal and if you lose more you will be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed. Follow MFP and weigh all the food you eat. You will do well.
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    first you have 4 to 5 months 30 pounds would be more realistic try mfp's calorie suggestion and start an exercise program if you stay with it by june you should feel great and have made a lot of progress good luck on your journey
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

50lb in 3 months - are you kidding - I could lose it in 5 seconds!!

But then again I am a bit careless with the buzz saw.:smile: