wondering which is better for working out - the Wii or Xbox

Options
Hello Everyone:

I was wondering which one is better to buy for working out - The Wii or Xbox Kinect. I can't go to the gym since I have just gotten a second job so I was going to buy one of these consoles since I saw and heard about the workout games for them. I was just wondering which one do you recommend I get?

Replies

• lindaloseit
    lindaloseit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have and always will love the WII but this is up to you.. both works great.. i just fine it easier to follow the wii.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have a wii... the games I have are Jullian Michaels Ultimate workout 2010... Biggest Loser... Wii Fit...

Im just waiting for 30 Day Shred to come in the post...thats a DVD though!!

Good luck deciding....
  • bobbi1958
    Options
    we love the xbox kinect! We have the biggest loser tho. We are doing awesome on it. I like that your whole body is the controller!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    xbox is nice because you don't need to hold any remotes, YOU ARE the controller :) gooooo zumba! lol
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I like the Kinect. I don't have to worry about holding a controller and the games don't stall until your get it exactly correct.
  • healthiermesoon
    Options
    X-Box Kinect is better. I think. We just got the Kinect, and afterwards we are really sore from all the jumping, squatting, and moving all around. It's really fun. We love it.
  • Jo_Bird
    Jo_Bird Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We have both wii fit and kinect. I like the EA active games on both. I prefer the kinect EA active because it comes with heart rate monitor. Both really good workouts. Both come with resistant bands too.
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    I have both and i love the kinect a lot more, you don't have to worry about controllers or cords getting in your way. Plus it's voice activated when you watch movies with the xbox so you can start and stop it without an controller. I also seem to burn more calories on the kinect because i move more and there's less technology in my way like with Wii You have to stand on balance board or hold the controllers, with the kinect you are the controller.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I like the Wii but the Fit Board has a capacity of 330lbs and also while playing the EASports for the Wii you can customize your profile character but it only goes to 300lbs ... So I opted to purchase the XBox360 w/ Kinect ..... Waiting for Kinect Sports and Biggest Loser to come in the mail
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any workout games with either. But I've played the sports games for both and find the Kinect games work you out more....especially if you're like me. With the Wii I was able to stand there and swing my arm around which of course does nothing for you by way of working out. lol With the Kinect I am FORCED to move my whole body or nothing happens.
    I'm looking forward to get ting the Biggest Loser workout game for Kinect next weekend!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have Wii and xbox but not the kinect. I think the kinect would b hands down better bc it is more accurate. Your own body is the controller and u don't have to rely on a separate controller being off. I want the kinect so bad.
  • crystaldougherty
    crystaldougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Kinect over the WII
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You have to look at what you're going to be using it for. If you're just wanting something for working out, I'd say the XBOX Kinect is probably better because you don't hold controllers or anything. I have a Wii and the Wii Fit games get old fast and it's frustrating having to hold the controller and use the balance board. I don't feel like I get as much out of the work out as I could because I can't jump for real and stuff like that. But, there are other great exercise games out there too.

But if you're going to be playing regular video games as well, you'll have to look at what's available for each system. If you like Mario games, go with the Wii. If you like things like Halo, go with the XBOX. I prefer the Wii overall because I love Mario and so many of the games are family oriented. And, I love the Wii controller, it's so much nicer to use the remote and nunchuck as opposed to one controller you hold with both hands. The Wii games are generally more interactive because there's a lot more movement.
  • jazzhottie
    Options
    XBox 360 with the kinect! Hands down! :-)
  • Queenlioness
    Options
    okay well it looks like xbox kinect wins..thanks everyone.
  • thehobbyist
    Options
    If price is a concern, I'd vote for the Wii, because not only do you not have so many people who are selling them on craigslist for cheap along with the Wii Fit, but you also don't have to buy, in addition to whatever game you choose, an additional piece of game hardware for $150. I'm loving my EA Sports Active 2. Holding a controller while I run is no problem for me, and I don't need to be forced by the game to move, I'm not going to cheat myself of the gains made by doing the right thing.

If you're not going to also use the console for serious gaming, I'd be really reluctant suggesting someone buy a $300 bundle of XBox and the Kinect peripheral and a $45 game. Even if you wanted to buy a new Wii, it and EA Sports Active 2 (which I suggest far above the Wii Fit, though you can get that game cheaply used), that and the game are around $250.

If you have a kid who's interested in video games, older kids might prefer an XBox while younger ones (and adults) might prefer the Wii.
  • Queenlioness
    Options
    yea i looked at the price for the xbox is kinda expensive...i heard the biggest loser game is really great for the Wii. Its only me anyways so maybe i will look at the Wii
  • thecherripie
    Options
    I have found my Kinect makes me work harder to perform the movements. I would recommend it over the Wii. MiCouch is a great workout but you need to fairly large area to perform the exercises due to floor and standing workouts.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    We just got the xbox one with kinect and it is pants down amazing.

I have a gold live account too and so I get the fitness xbox one app free, it has insanity, rocking body, 10 minute workouts and mixed martial arts plus loads more....FOR FREE. It sets daily, weekly and monthly challenges too to keep you motivated.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The best one would be the Xbox One. It comes with a Kinect that is much better than the one for the 360, and supposedly can even monitor your heart rate. The bad part is it costs around $500 and an Xbox Gold membership is around $50 a year. It's also a relatively new system so there aren't a lot of games yet, but I keep hearing great things about the Fitness app.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/01/how-the-xbox-fitness-app-can-justify-your-xbox-one-purchase-and-change-your-life/