Regimen too severe?

Options
Hey all.

Got in touch with my marine brother who sent me some tips on his new and improved healthy lifestyle... and it sounds absolutely miserable. The biggest reason I gave up on my diet last year is because I made rules for myself that made me feel miserable, and while they worked really well for three months, it was a hell of a three months. Check this out and let me know your thoughts on it... I' looking to eat healthy and lose weight faster than just skipping the drive thru, but I wonder if maybe this military regimen is too much.

"target body weight x 100 = max daily calories (read nutrition labels on food)
out of these calories, most should be from protein - protein will help you feeling full
PROTEIN: dry cooked beans, lentils, quinoa, tuna in water, chicken breast, turkey breast - you could skip the meat alltogether
- garden burgers, soy protein crumbles are a good alternative

go for long walks if you can't jog.... the more you move, the faster the effects: make it hurt all at once
TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME AND TRY TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL FOR THE DAY THEN GET A GOOD NIGHT'S REST

eat 3 meals a day - breakfast shakes, big salad lunch, light dinner - eat slow: like Emilia eats eggs!
this will cause your metabolism to kick in high gear and you will burn calories when at rest

lots of veggies, steamed or raw, lots of salads - 1st month stay away from fried/sauteed stuff

no sugar or sugar substitude (including fruit) after 1 or 2 months fruit is fine
no starch, no carbs, 20 grams of fat a day max
no white bread, no white pasta, no sugar, no processed meats

AFTER 2 WEEKS STRAIGHT, YOU CAN BE A DEVIL AND CHEAT for 1 day - YOU CAN HAVE WHOLE WHEAT BREAD, BROWN RICE, A BAKED POTATO, WHOLE WHEAT PASTA (within your daily calories) ... this will confuse your body and the next day you'll feel happier (lack of starch & carbs will make you a bit grouchy)

(no peas - have sugar, no carrots - have sugar and starch, no spuds - starch, no milk - ok almond milk with 30 cal/serving label)
little or no salt - sodium causes the body to retain water - feeling bloated and puffy - this goes for men too

use lots of herbs & spices which will mask the lack of salt taste - experiment

If food tempts you, keep busy to keep your mind on other things

Drink Lots Of Water to flush out your system, teas and coffee are ok unsweetened - alcohol to minimum - empty calories; no beer: too much carbs & cal"

Thanks!
O

Replies

• waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty intense to me. It would probably work wonders but like you said, it also looks pretty miserable. Personally, when I think of losing weight and being healthy I think that needs to happen as a whole change to lifestyle. By cutting out everything fun.. yes you'll have quick results but at the same time it's hard to know how long you can sustain it.

He has some great tips and yes, consuming processed foods and sugars and starches do affect weight loss but I think some moderation is necessary. If you plan to socialize at all, you'll be faced with certain temptations and I think it's easier to budget calories and work out extra long instead of cut things out all together.

Ultimately you have to decide what appeals to you. Maybe you need a strict marine regime but maybe you just need to work on making smart and healthy choices day after day.

I'm sure you'll figure it out!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This lost me at no carbs including fruit

All things in moderation. It works for me and many others, and is sustainable for life.
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This is actually pretty good advice. I followed this (without the exercise!) when I belonged to a 12-step program for compulsive eaters, CEA-HOW (Compulsive eaters anonymous-Honesty, Open-minded, Willingness). Yes, I went thru sugar/starch withdrawals the first week, but after that, miraculously, the cravings were gone! After the first 30 days, you could add some whole-grain carbs, fruit only at breakfast, to allow it to be metabolized during the day. I didn't lose at all the first 3 weeks, guess my body was kind of suspicious that it wouldn't last! then the fourth week, suddenly a LOT came off--more than 8 pounds. then, it was slower but steady. As in MFP, we had to commit our food to a sponsor daily and not vary from the plan. daily exercise can only help you see results faster. I did have sugar substitute (splenda or stevia). We were allowed oat bran as a "free food"--3 Tbsp in the morning, which I cooked with water and added the lactose free milk, 1/2 envelope splenda and cinnamon to. Now I save the calories and use the almond milk.
  • yalullama
    Options
    I'm just having a hard time building a menu with these rules... it kind of leaves you with no options except veggies in my opinion. Which isn't bad, just... difficult.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Man, that sounds utterly miserable and a recipe for either breaking and binging, or putting it back on when you start to eat "normally".
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Wow, I would really miss having fruit.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    This lost me at no carbs including fruit

All things in moderation. It works for me and many others, and is sustainable for life.

Exactly. It won't last. It will fail and you'll be back asking again. If you can't sustain it long term, why do it to start with?
  • teenyjem
    teenyjem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My friend gave me a similar theme to work to (he is a personal trainer) but would let me only have fruit that has the word 'berry' in it.
    Also, his rule was only green veg.

Dunno why - maybe one of the guys on here would know?
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've had two friends do something equally restrictive. I remember they could eat green peppers but not red because of the sugar. Both lost a lot of weight, were miserable as sin during and put it all back on and then some, afterwards.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Well, IMHO you asked your fit(?) marine bro to give you what was working for HIM. Your profile says you have a family who struggles with weight. Did he? Did he lose weight/gain muscle on this diet? You have how much to lose (sorry,,,,its early). I would take some of the advice that worked for him. Add a couple pieces of fruit, eat your meat if you like, and go for it. :smile: Work it in your calorie budget a piece of rich bittersweet dark chocolate a day if you like. I think with you asking your brother for what worked for him, he's probably really excited to see you get yourself healthy. And long walks a day burn calories so that's good advice from him, also.
    It sounds like he would be in your corner, too, when things get rough. :drinker:

(edited to add: I missed the target body weight x 100 = cal. What is your target body weight? If its 100 lbs, then 1,000/cal a day is way too low.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a client do this. Why? Because it's not a sustainable lifestyle.

The problem with dieting programs is they only work WHEN YOU'RE DIETING. Once one get tired of it or get to goal, it's not sustainable and significant weight gain reoccurs because of all the restriction.

Losing weight is about eating less than you burn. Eating less doesn't mean you have to forego things you like to eat. It just means eating less of it. Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

Uh....My target weight is 130. So... 130*100....I can eat 13,000 calories a day?!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Bits of it are OK.....but then it gets destroyed by the "no carbs" advice.

It is just about impossible to have no carbs. I suspect he means low carbs, but if you're trying to following his advice to the letter you'll have a very tough time.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Uh....My target weight is 130. So... 130*100....I can eat 13,000 calories a day?!

I noticed the same.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    "this will confuse your body and the next day you'll feel happier (lack of starch & carbs will make you a bit grouchy)"

I don't want to be grouchy so no thanks :)

I don't find the "diet" too too bad, but I refuse to cut out grains (I only eat 1/2 cup three times a day). I also eat 2 portions of fruit per day to get my sugar fix :)

Personally, I try to stay away from the "peas and carrots have too much sugar" thing... I've never heard anyone say: "Oh geez! I have to cut the carrots out, I've gained weight!".
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It lost me at "no carbs". My other half works with the Marine Corps and most of them eat like utter *kitten* if they live in barracks. Limited cooking facilities and easy access to junk food on base = crappy diets.
    Eat everything you like in moderation. Stick to your calories and try to eat enough protein to preserve muscle mass and keep you feeling full.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

LOL This, too. Maybe times 10.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a really good recipe to get me on the road to yo-yo dieting, personally. If you can sustain it, great; I couldn't.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options

That's the first thing I noticed!! My target was 130 lbs, but hey, if I can eat 12,000 calories a day and get to 120, I'm in!!!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options

LOL This, too. Maybe times 10.

Oh, you're raining on my parade. Now I'm sad. :'( I really want to go on a 12,000 calorie a day diet!