Looking to eat more organically, please help!

Options
Hey everyone! So, basically I'm sick of eating like crap. I don't eat horrible, but I know my body deserves a lot better. Of course I plan on indulging every now and then, but I really want to start eating healthy and more organically! I always feel so much better without all that processed crap in my body. I'm also looking to lower my sodium intake, and raising my fiber and protein intake.

I'm asking for your help! I'd love it if you would share some tips, recipes, or foods that you guys love! Anything at all (except sushi!) that is healthy, organic, that you love to eat. Salads, sandwiches, fruits, veggies, please share with me!

Reply here or send me a message, either or! I would really appreciate discussing different kinds of healthy foods!

Thanks so much! :)

(PS, I have been looking around on various sites, but a lot of them are too complex and don't have the right kind of feedback!)

Replies

• vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Easy Easy smoothie you can make organic or not:

2 cups baby spinach
    1-2 cups of almond, soy, or whole milk
    1 banana.

Tastes like whatever fruit you put in. You can make it as think or soupy as you like. My other fav is a cup of frozen peach slices instead of the banana and some cinnamon...tastes like peach cobbler.

Do you have a whole foods? They (and publix) have precut frozen organic fruit that's quick and easy to use.

Whole Foods also has a monthly newsletter with great recipes.

You can often make your standard recipes like baked chicken just substituting organic ingredients for the standard variety.
  • vkpmusic
    Options
    Ooops--I meant to say combine all that stuff in a blender! LOL!
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    do an online search for kale chips. They're pretty tasty and very healthy.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Organic is best, if you can find it and afford it.
  • hjorden
    Options
    One of my favorite salads is fresh spinach, red onion, tomato, broccoli, and black olives with a vinaigrette made of balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a clove of garlic pressed in. All ingredients can be gotten from your local farmers market or whole foods. You can also add raw almonds or walnuts to the mix.
  • pratrat150
    Options

2 cups baby spinach
    1 banana.

Tastes like whatever fruit you put in. You can make it as think or soupy as you like. My other fav is a cup of frozen peach slices instead of the banana and some cinnamon...tastes like peach cobbler.

Do you have a whole foods? They (and publix) have precut frozen organic fruit that's quick and easy to use.

You can often make your standard recipes like baked chicken just substituting organic ingredients for the standard variety.

I make that smoothie every morning! I can't get myself to eat anything for breakfast but I can manage a smoothie. I freeze my banana and I use water instead of almond milk. Sometimes I put in a handful of soaked almonds in just for fun/extra protein. This is also such a great way to get RAW spinach in your diet.

Also, organic is great but be prepared to dish out some big bucks. It helps to buy in bulk at places like Costco. Costco has tons of organic produce for a slightly more reasonable price.
  • aigéan
    Options

2 cups baby spinach
    1 banana.

They both sound really good! We do have a Whole Foods around here and other stores that are very similar. Can you taste the spinach at all? What kind of nutrients does spinach have? Well I guess I could just look that up instead of bothering you to tell me!

• aigéan
    Options
    do an online search for kale chips. They're pretty tasty and very healthy.

Just looked up a recipe for them and people love them! I must try them!
  • aigéan
    Options

Affording is a problem, but I'd like to at least eat some organic foods!
  • aigéan
    Options
    One of my favorite salads is fresh spinach, red onion, tomato, broccoli, and black olives with a vinaigrette made of balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a clove of garlic pressed in. All ingredients can be gotten from your local farmers market or whole foods. You can also add raw almonds or walnuts to the mix.

That sounds super good, except for the tomatoes! haha, I wish I liked them, but I just don't! Thanks so much! I'm absolutely going to try this! Pretty sure we have all the ingredients except for the black olives! :)
  • vkpmusic
    Options

2 cups baby spinach
    1 banana.

They both sound really good! We do have a Whole Foods around here and other stores that are very similar. Can you taste the spinach at all? What kind of nutrients does spinach have? Well I guess I could just look that up instead of bothering you to tell me!

You honestly can't. If you think you can, add a little more fruit. It's another reason I like vanilla almond milk added to it. Just be sure to blend really well. I find it works best if I put everything on top of the spinach in the blender. Spinach has all sorts of nutrients including folic acid, and antioxidants. I think it even has vitamin c. I know I have tons more energy when I drink it on a regular basis. Like I said, shop the sales and you can do fairly well. The only think I can't seem to get around the price on is the organic meat. Try this website for more smoothie ideas www.greenmonster.com My friend also has a site calle bewellholistics.com that has a bunch of recipies.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Get a veggie box. Or go to your local farmer's market. You can find them here:
    http://www.localharvest.org/

The problem with CSA veggies boxes is that they require a "buy-in." I found a farmer who just sells me a box on weeks that I want them. Also, if you are a picky eater, you might not be happy with a veggie box because you don't decide what goes in them. But I like trying new things and I love that I can talk to the person who grew my food. Everything was grown within 20 miles of my house!

Farmer's markets are probably the best option for you if you don't have a veggie box option that you like. I know a lot shut down in winter, but you might find some that are still open.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Costco usually has a good selection of organic foods at a good price but the quantity is large so unless you have a family or eat a lot it can spoil. I too am trying to not just eat less, but better. I also do a pretty good job at least at meal time but I love sweets and when I am not home or don't have a plan it is easy to eat junk.
  • aigéan
    Options
    You honestly can't. If you think you can, add a little more fruit. It's another reason I like vanilla almond milk added to it. Just be sure to blend really well. I find it works best if I put everything on top of the spinach in the blender. Spinach has all sorts of nutrients including folic acid, and antioxidants. I think it even has vitamin c. I know I have tons more energy when I drink it on a regular basis. Like I said, shop the sales and you can do fairly well. The only think I can't seem to get around the price on is the organic meat. Try this website for more smoothie ideas www.greenmonster.com My friend also has a site calle bewellholistics.com that has a bunch of recipies.

lol: greenmonster.com actually takes me to the Red Sox website! funny! Thank you so much. Love your friends site!
  • aigéan
    Options
    Get a veggie box. Or go to your local farmer's market. You can find them here:
    http://www.localharvest.org/

The problem with CSA veggies boxes is that they require a "buy-in." I found a farmer who just sells me a box on weeks that I want them. Also, if you are a picky eater, you might not be happy with a veggie box because you don't decide what goes in them. But I like trying new things and I love that I can talk to the person who grew my food. Everything was grown within 20 miles of my house!

Farmer's markets are probably the best option for you if you don't have a veggie box option that you like. I know a lot shut down in winter, but you might find some that are still open.

I have never even heard of a veggie box! lol! Sounds interesting though! haha :):) Sadly, the farmers markets closest to me are closed! :(

Thanks so much for the info!
  • vkpmusic
    Options

lol: greenmonster.com actually takes me to the Red Sox website! funny! Thank you so much. Love your friends site!

OOPS www.greenmonstermovement.com :laugh:
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Organic is definitely better, just cost more unfortunately.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

Affording is a problem, but I'd like to at least eat some organic foods!

it's not so expensive if you shop seasonally. sure, an organic tomato in february is pretty steep, but it's quite reasonable in july-september.
  • BoresEasily
    Options

2 cups baby spinach
    1 banana.

So you don't taste the spinach at all? I like the sounds of that. I put my spinach in everything but haven't put it in any of my smoothies yet but if you won't taste it, then I'm going to have some fun. Thank you.
  • DanL66712
    Options
    There is a great debate over whether organic actually has any benefits. One good article can be found here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/real_food/article6731910.ece

I think it is more important to eat a healthy diet than spend all your money on organic - especially as organic can be more expensive and often smaller in size.