Morbidly obese...

Options

Replies

• KatherinesRiver
    Options
    I've read so much of this thread and I agree with the idea of a higher calorie intake to start and just slow and steady. I tried a 1,200 calorie plan last year and lost 25 pounds. It came back too. 1,200 calories was just too little and I got so hungry! It was self defeating for me and I got discouraged. I'm on 1,440 now and I think you need more to start.
  • valerie916
    Options
    I can't believe some of the advice on here. One post is saying that someone of that size can not eat for weeks and still survive? We need vitamins, minerals, water, etc for bodily function, using fat stores alone does not sustain life.

IMO 1200 is too little for someone of that size to start off with. I would start at 2500 minimum and then go from there. Keeping a food diary is a must, regardless of the amount of weight to lose. Its a way to keep accountable for our food choices.

I started out one month ago at 161 and have lost 10 lbs since. I have lost weight before but because this time I am adding a lot of exercise my weight has not changed that much but I am losing inches every week. I started out with a BMR somewhere in the 1400+ range, and by starting out on Atkins induction and changing my carb intake around, it's working. For me personally, I can't sustain a very low calorie or carb diet when I'm exercising because I wind up getting very dizzy and nausous.

Do not starve yourself, just make different choices. Stay away from processed sugars, bread, soda and fast food and you will see a big change. Trust me, you will be shocked when you see how much food you can eat when the choices are healthy and you are adding veggies and fruit.

The best advice I can give you is to please seek assistance with your doctor before starting so that you can lose the weight in a healthy, sustainable way. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated.

You should read the posts before commenting on them.

Yes, with water someone can survive for weeks without food.

I have read the posts, and yes, people can "survive" on no food for 3 weeks but that doesn't make it ideal or healthy. If you are seriously suggesting that people should starve in order to use their fat stores as a sole source of energy, than you are promoting a dangerous thing. I am a nurse, going for my masters degree in nursing, so I am familiar with metabolism and nutrition.

No physician would EVER suggest a fasting diet, that is not the way to lose weight in a healthy manner. Obesity is also just as much of a psychological problem as it is a physical problem, and learning new behaviors and adopting a new lifestyle are just as important as the calories consumed per day.

If calories were just calories, than you are saying that 1200 calories of cake has the same benefits to the body as 1200 calories worth of healthy lean meats, fruits and veggies?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    If calories were just calories, than you are saying that 1200 calories of cake has the same benefits to the body as 1200 calories worth of healthy lean meats, fruits and veggies?

Uh-Oh.jpg
  • dinatale2
    dinatale2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know?….
    Is that really true…that if you lose weight slower, you'll have less extra skin?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Give it a try. If you lose weight on those calories then that's great. If not drop it down to a lower one.

Wow look at you! Smokin' and you lost 323lbs. :noway:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,380 Member
    Options
    The slower you lose weight the easier it is the keep it off. This is not a diet and 1200 cal a week is one at your size. I would start off with what is recommended and then if you are not eating that amount cool, don't make yourself eat if not hungry.

This is not a TV show or contest. This is real life and real people! Good job on taking your life under control.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,380 Member
    Options
    They key is lifestyle changes and not a diet. Maintenance is harder than losing when you diet.
  • valerie916
    Options

Uh-Oh.jpg

I guess you just don't get it do you.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have read the posts, and yes, people can "survive" on no food for 3 weeks but that doesn't make it ideal or healthy. If you are seriously suggesting that people should starve in order to use their fat stores as a sole source of energy, than you are promoting a dangerous thing. I am a nurse, going for my masters degree in nursing, so I am familiar with metabolism and nutrition.

No physician would EVER suggest a fasting diet, that is not the way to lose weight in a healthy manner. Obesity is also just as much of a psychological problem as it is a physical problem, and learning new behaviors and adopting a new lifestyle are just as important as the calories consumed per day.

I suspect the person talking about fasting was referring to the people talking about "starvation mode" at 400+ lbs. I don't know anyone suggesting that fasting is a good idea for the OP.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You know what a good piece of advice is?

OP, go visit your doctor, or a nutritionalist. Talk to them about all your health problems and how you are currently eating, and how you want to lose weight, and see what they recommend for you.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

I looked at that study.

It was done by nutritionists.

I think it is flawed and unless it is replicated should be discounted.

The greatest variable in resting metabolic rate is muscle mass. With resistance exercise, the muscles should grow (more so in men than women), and that in itself should increase calorie burn at rest. With the loss in fat, the body has to work less in exercise at the same level, and calorie burn is less.

But, frankly, this is a goofy study and I am not going further with it.

It was put together from a Hollywood reality weight-loss show. The lead author is a hot-looking young female (a PhD in nutrition, for what that's worth) who probably enjoyed working on the set in California and likely has applications out for Survivor and Amazing Race.

"This study involved measures of body composition and energy expenditure in individuals competing in a nationally televised weight loss competition. To participate in the competition, subjects could not be pregnant or lactating, have orthopedic conditions that interfered with walking, or have had previous bariatric surgery. All subjects obtained medical clearance before competition. The study was approved by the Institutional Review Boards of Cedars Sinai Medical Center (no. 8967) and Pennington Biomedical Research Center (no. PBRC29008), and participants provided written informed consent before participating.
    Environment

Once in the competition, participants were housed together at an isolated ranch outside Los Angeles. The exercise component of the competition consisted of 90 min/d (6 d/wk) of directly supervised vigorous circuit training and/or aerobic training. Subjects were encouraged to exercise up to an additional 3 h/d. Dietary intake was not monitored; however, subjects were advised to consume a calorie-restricted diet greater than 70% of their baseline energy requirements as calculated by the following: 21.6 kcal/kg·d × FFM (kilograms) + 370 kcal/d (23). Every 7–10 d, a participant was voted out of the competition and returned home to continue their exercise and diet program unsupervised at home. Four participants remained at the ranch by wk 13, at which time they all returned home. At wk 30 (7 months), all the participants returned to Los Angeles for testing, coincident with the live television broadcast."

Let's see it replicated by REAL doctors and physiologists.

Why don't you try picking apart the scientific process instead of focusing on who did the study.

I don't get the comment about the beautiful woman doing the study. That is an issue for you? Does her beauty negate the fact she has a PHD in nutrition???

Im not saying the study is the end all and be all - they are also quite clear about the limitations of the study - but it isn't often researchers have access to a pool of super obese people so I found it interesting.

If you have some conflicting studies on morbidly obese - please share them.

Let's keep the discussion science and evidence backed and avoid the personal biases.
  • tedrickp
    Options
    Ahhh ok you weren't really interested in a serious discussion - my bad. Carry on.

In fact time for me to move on from this thread. OP send a friend request if you want. I am no weight loss expert, and not the most active MFP "friend" but I am dedicated to learning about this process and willing to share/discuss anything I find. - both from research and my own experience.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    455lbs... Well done for wanting to lose weight - You have come to the right place!!

I don't even eat 1200 calories, God I would be starving!

Work out your BMR and TDEE, and then minus say 20% or more from TDEE

If you've gone from eating lots of calories, to all of a sudden bringing it right down, you could end up binging or feeling soooo hungry! Now you don't want to be starving all the time.

Pick some good healthy snacks to nibble on throughout the day - Lots of water too

Good luck.........And good for you!!!
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Just try to lose at a steady pace. 1200 calories is super low to maintain. Get adjusted first.
  • tedrickp
    Options
    Ahhh ok you weren't really interested in a serious discussion - my bad. Carry on.

What question do you want discussed?

But forget that paper.

I say this respectfully - I don't want to discuss anything with you.

I personally found your posts about the physical attractiveness of the researcher to be offensive. I also find your style of discussion, where you make up make belief scenarios out of thin air to be intellectually dishonest, and not conducive to open dialogue. Finally, your comment "Any study put out by nutritionists is automatically suspect. " flies in the face of my beliefs about the scientific process and shows an unwillingness for any kind of unbiased discussion.

Take care.
  • Laura8823
    Options
    I am in the same boat----I am morbidly obese. I've been doing low carbs for about three months. I started slow and worked my way into it. I no longer eat bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, etc.... I eat something small every three hours and I never feel hungry. As of today, I have lost 25 pounds and I have a lot more to go but that's okay. I set small goals for myself----every 10 pounds is a goal and I try not to look at the big picture. Start slow, 1200 is very low when you are use to eating so much more. Please start slow and keep a good spirit.
  • Sporin71
    Sporin71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started out at 423 and am following the calorie guidelines of the app (2550), minus a few hundred each day. I think this is reasonable at our size as we try to maximize healthy weight loss during the early months of our diet (when your body will shed the fastest in my experience). My body is responding VERY well to this and I feel great, not shaky and hungry all the time.

I can't imagine any level of happiness or sustainability at 1200 calories, I'd be really hungry all the time and it would make workouts and daily life much more difficult and susceptible to binges.

The caloric number goes down as you lose, just stay with it and be patient. Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

But forget that paper.

I personally found your posts about the physical attractiveness of the researcher to be offensive. I also find your style of discussion, where you make up make belief scenarios out of thin air to be intellectually dishonest, and not conducive to open dialogue. Finally, your comment "Any study put out by nutritionists is automatically suspect. " flies in the face of my beliefs about the scientific process and shows an unwillingness for any kind of unbiased discussion.

Take care.

Hardly respectful.

ad hominem attacks!

last refuge of the incompetent.

I am waiting for your scientific defense of nutrtionists, but I guess it's not coming.
    Yet you use an ad hominem attack not only in this response but also in regards to the study by not looking at the data but discrediting the researcher, interesting.
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    455 lbs.... Suggested calorie intake is 3250 for each day....

Why isn't it recommended that calories get cut to 1200 a day, this should get rid of the weight a lot quicker. Just curious why the recommended calories were that high

Just starting out, so any advice is appreciated.

It must be confusing to hear all these different opinions on how many calories you should eat a day. It seems like there is a lot of fear mongering. If you eat less than you expend, you will lose weight. 1200 a day might not be safe for you, I've seen people with as much to lose as you go that low, but that kind of deficit requires medical supervision to keep you safe. That does not mean you can't speed things along by going a little lower if you are comfortable with that.

Folks are right, some people who restrict too much get in trouble with cravings. You can set yourself up to succeed by setting a calorie goal you can live with, anything at or less than your suggested that isn't too extreme should be fine. I really like the idea of eating at the suggested calories and seeing what happens. If you don't lose any weight, knock off a couple of hundred until you start dropping. Also be aware that it goes down as you lose. 100 lbs from now, your calorie requirements will be less.

Make some friends, you are going to be here awhile, might as well have fun with it. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

But forget that paper.

Take care.

Hardly respectful.

ad hominem attacks!

last refuge of the incompetent.

I am waiting for your scientific defense of nutrtionists, but I guess it's not coming.
    Yet you use an ad hominem attack not only in this response but also in regards to the study by not looking at the data but discrediting the researcher, interesting.

She discredits herself with her Hollywood-driven "research" paper.....and you are not making your mother proud with ad hominem attacks.

And I say this with the utmost respect.

Yet.....there is still an issue here and I want to hear your scientific take on it.

Yet.......I can see you are a man of science and am waiting for a science-base argument on whatever you
    I have no investment or interest in participating, but I see no logic for you not discussing the data with tedrickp.