How to get out of an unhealthy mindset?

Options
Hi guys, stupidly a few months ago I fell for the "the less you eat, the quicker you lose weight" myth and ended up eating >900 calories most days. It worked for a few months but my weight loss then stalled, I was tired and weak all the time and got sick of it. (I am 5ft4 and 121lbs btw, looking to get down to 112, my previous "I look good and feel good" weight).

I have been told to up my calories to 1400 per day (20% less than my TDEE) and eat back exercise calories which I have done without fail for a week...but I just can't shake the mindset that it will make me balloon! 1400 calories just seems like SO MUCH FOOD and I'm struggling - does anyone have any advice for me? :D thank you!

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    1400 is not so much food. Your TDEE is how much you need to eat to keep your current weight. So obviously 20% less is going to make you lose weight.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating under 900 and go up to 1400 ...that's a big jump and you're bound to feel conflicted about it....and you may put on a couple of pounds before you start to lose. That's normal don't panic. Give it a few weeks. You can also try aiming for 1200 for a few weeks (typically considered the lowest healthy goal) and once you settle in to being comfortable, move up to 1400.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can incorporate some 'hidden' calories into your diet to make up the 1400 cals...for example; nuts/nut butters/oils(coconut/olive, etc.,)dressings.
    Just a thought
    Good luck
  • holasunshine
    holasunshine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I love peanut butter and cashew nuts so they should help me make up my intake - also I'm only going to weigh myself every two weeks to not get discouraged. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!