Feeling discouraged :(

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been on this site a little over a month now but this is my first time posting. I have read the boards pretty regularly and have gotten a lot of insight and support from reading the posts. Here's my situation. 35 year old female, 5'4" starting weight was 210. I did hip hop abs for about a month sporadically but didn't alter my eating habits still I was shocked when at the end of the month not only did I not lose any weight but I gained 5 lbs. So I was about to join weight watchers online when I saw a recommendation for this website so I decided to check it out. Ok so I've been diligently recording my food and working out using hip hop abs for the past month. Last week I was down to 208lbs which I thought was great since it meant 7 lbs in 3 weeks.

Well, I just finished my last week of HHA and weighed myself this morning and I now weigh 210lbs, so not only didn't I lose any weight this past week but I gained 2 lbs! I just don't understand. I've been tracking my foods and have always been under my calorie limit. I do eat back a portion of my exercise calories but even then I don't eat them all back and even though my HRM says I've burned more calories, I always use the suggested myfitness calorie burn calculation which is always considerably less.

The only thing I can say I don't diligently track is my water consumption. I kind of guesstimate that I drink 10 cups of water a day.

I just felt like I was doing so well and this is a setback. Sigh. I could really use some insight/feedback/words of support. If anyone wants to take a look at my diary and let me know if they see anything that could be affecting my weight loss goals that would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a lot of sodium-laden foods, it can make your weight fluctuate several pounds easily. Are you weighing and measuring your foods?
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Hey there - it happens!! Especially as a woman, you have to take into account how your hormones vary from week to week (which I find can lead to water retention), and you may be building muscles doing HHA! I tooootally understand the discouragement, but what you have to remember is that it's a marathon and not a sprint. You will have off weeks.

Going forward, try to amp up your fiber intake and really pay super close attention to the amount of water you're getting. And continue to track everything you put in your mouth! Little things definitely add up (on weight watchers they call them BLT's - bites, licks, and tastes) so no matter what it is, track track track :)
  • cherub_72
    cherub_72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am feeling pretty discouraged today as well. Big hugs likecaramel! I am refusing to give up and am anxious to hear what insight you are given.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been on this site a little over a month now but this is my first time posting. I have read the boards pretty regularly and have gotten a lot of insight and support from reading the posts. Here's my situation. 35 year old female, 5'4" starting weight was 210. I did hip hop abs for about a month sporadically but didn't alter my eating habits still I was shocked when at the end of the month not only did I not lose any weight but I gained 5 lbs. So I was about to join weight watchers online when I saw a recommendation for this website so I decided to check it out. Ok so I've been diligently recording my food and working out using hip hop abs for the past month. Last week I was down to 208lbs which I thought was great since it meant 7 lbs in 3 weeks.

Well, I just finished my last week of HHA and weighed myself this morning and I now weigh 210lbs, so not only didn't I lose any weight this past week but I gained 2 lbs! I just don't understand. I've been tracking my foods and have always been under my calorie limit. I do eat back a portion of my exercise calories but even then I don't eat them all back and even though my HRM says I've burned more calories, I always use the suggested myfitness calorie burn calculation which is always considerably less.

The only thing I can say I don't diligently track is my water consumption. I kind of guesstimate that I drink 10 cups of water a day.

I just felt like I was doing so well and this is a setback. Sigh. I could really use some insight/feedback/words of support. If anyone wants to take a look at my diary and let me know if they see anything that could be affecting my weight loss goals that would be great. Thanks.

Weight loss is not linear. There are often ups and downs along the way.

If you'd like people to look at your diary, you will have to open it. :flowerforyou:
  • elizabethdamico
    elizabethdamico Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up!

Don't weigh yourself as often either, it's hard but if you're vigilant with writing what you eat MFP really works.

Measure yourself if you're doing strength training, muscle is HEAVY! and it can get very discouraging, you CAN do it!!!
  • Devenie03
    Options
    Good Morning!
    I just want to say do not be discouraged by a 2 pound gain. Of course you didn't want to see a 2 pound gain, but it is going to happen from time to time and you don't want to worry too much about it each time... (sometimes it's just water weight or even gaining muscle :) Just keep tracking and exercising.
    Good Luck!!! You can do this :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a lot of sodium-laden foods, it can make your weight fluctuate several pounds easily. Are you weighing and measuring your foods?
    this.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged - weight fluctuates normally up and down (I know, we hate the ups and love the downs!). Some of it may be water, which will be gone soon. With your exercise, your muscles sometimes retain extra water for repair. Also be aware of your sodium intake, that can cause water retention.

Most of all, keep going - watch what you eat, try to get a mixture of good fresh veggies, fruits, lean protein, some good fats. Allow yourself to eat some of the things you love, just in moderation. If you have one bad meal or one bad day, don't give up!

The weight will come off. Believe me, I've had weeks when I'd lose 6 pounds and then gain back 7! And then there were weeks when I'd lose 2 or 3 pounds and keep them off, losing another pound or two the next week. My weight has gone up and down, but over all, it's gone down. I started at 339, thinking I'd never get under 300 - well, now, I'm down to 277 (give or take) and planning on keeping going as best I can.

Good luck to you!
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As somebody said before, it will fluctuate up and down. Just keep eating right and exercising and you will make progress. Here are my weekly weights for the last 6 weeks as some proof you are not alone:

I imagine next week I will be back up a few pounds, especially since I have the flu the last few days.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Weighing is important but use it in context. Muscle is more dense than fat so even if you've gained, if your clothes are fitting better, don't worry because you're probably just building muscle. Stick with it! You can do it! :happy:
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary for the past week and your sodium has been high, which means you're probably retaining water so that will affect the number on the scale.

You will also want to make sure your diary is as accurate as possible:
    -find out your TDEE and eat a 15-20% deficit & eat at least 50% of your exercise calories
    -weigh/measure your food, don't estimate
    -base your progress on your measurements and don't worry about the number on the scale

EDIT: spelling
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I recommend being as patient as possible. That was always the hardest part for me. I'd expect results, but unless you're drastically cutting calories (not recommended), you should expect fluctuations and for long-term loss to be a gradual thing. Stick with it! And, if you want to cheat for the scale a little bit, avoid alcohol and any sodium the night before a weigh-in. You can also do an interval workout and sweat a bit before the weigh in. But weight fluctuates quite a bit depending on your last workout, what you've eaten / drank for the week, the time of day, alignment of Jupiter in relation to the constellation Orion, etc.

Hang in there!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary for the past week and your sodium has been high, which means you're probably retaining water so that will affect the number on the scale.

You will also want to make sure your diary is as accurate as possible:
    -find out your TDEE and eat a 15-20% deficit & eat at least 50% of your exercise calories
    -weigh/measure your food, don't estimate
    -base your progress on your measurements and don't worry about the number on the scale

Agree with this. I also looked at your diary and you are either not drinking enough or logging all your water intake. Water is essential to flush out the sodium as well as help with weight loss. I would check out this
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    to calculate your TDEE -20%. You may not be eating enough and need to bump up your calories to see if this sheds a few pounds. WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T GIVE UP!!!
  • jewel6129
    jewel6129 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food using a food scale? I regularly weigh my food, I definitely would be giving myself bigger portions if I did not. Try to weigh yourself at the same time of day, similar weight clothing each time. Watch your sodium intake and drink your water. There will be ups and downs. Hang in there.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    After taking a peek at your diary, I am going to venture to say it is that you sodium intake is extremely high.

For chits and giggles, I weighed myself before I went to eat sushi one night and the morning after, I was up 4 lbs. It was water weight my body was holding onto from the soy sauce an wasabi.

Try cutting back on the processed foods and foods with high sodium content and adding some fresh fruit and vegetables to your diet. Drink a crap load of water and see where that lands you in 2 weeks.
  • linszoh
    Options
    There are a couple of factors to consider.
    1) if you're doing exercise to build muscle, that's probably the gain you're seeing. it's not uncommon to gain muscle weight then lose fat weight.

2) you may have caught yourself at a bad time on the scale. perhaps you're retaining water, maybe you're close to your period, etc-- all these things mean fluctuation. the best way to measure your progress is to go by your clothing and measure yourself using a tape measure. measure your arms, legs, calves, neck, belly, hips and bust. Do this every 2 weeks to every month. If you're doing what you need to do, you'll see the difference regardless of the scale!

3) your scale may be off. when I weigh myself, I do so three times in a row. I usually get a way off number the first time. Sometimes it says I gained 5 lbs! Then I weigh again and I see something more accurate.

4) calorie counting is good, but you need to make sure you're getting the right nutrition! if you're using all your calories toward high-carb/ sugary foods, you have a high chance of that turning into fat. I recommend the low carb/ high protein diet 6 days out of the week and 1 day where you go crazy eating whatever you want.

5) exercise is key-- you can't half-commit. Try exercising so your heart rate is elevated (not to the point where you're dying) for 30 minutes 4x a week. You WILL see results after that.

Hang in there! You're just starting out on your new life of living healthy. A month or so of yo-yoing will seem like a drop in the bucket once you're well on your way! I've started and stopped trying to lose weight a few times. This time I stuck with it, and now I'm seeing results! Don't give up!
  • sunnygirl87
    sunnygirl87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I clicked on this topic because I fell discouraged, too. In 1.5 month, I haven't lost a pound and I have fluctuated in weight wildly. Honestly, I was trying to do this with exercise alone. Okay, time to be honest and write down everything. Good news, after 45 days of stationary bike, I have built up my stamina and can do 20 min straight before I itch to get off and do yoga. Anyhow, thanks for the encouragement. I am seeing the entire trip and goal instead of accepting my tiny accomplishments and changes in lifestyle.
  • mizzfitnesss
    mizzfitnesss Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!!!! Trust me, we all had these moments. Consistency is the key..Right now you at the beginning stage which happen to be the TRIAL AND ERROR stage... We can all give you our opinions, but the truth is that it may take a minute to find out what works for your body type..

I know its easier said than done, but STAY A WAY FROM THE SCALE for a while concentrate on how stronger you feel and how you clothes fits.

Hope this helps!
  • pipes717
    Options
    Let me start with the most important thing being do you feel better? Do you feel like you have more energy? Are you proud that yoou started working out and changing your eating habits? Have you noticed that maybe you body looks tighter even though you haven't lost any weight? The scale is a tool for tracking yes but you have to weigh in other factors like do I look better in my clothes and especailly do I feel better.

When weighing yourself its important to try and take your weight under as close to the same conditions everytime. I try and weigh myself in the morning after I use the bathroom and at night before bed. When weighing yourself its not uncommon for you to have a difference of anywhere from 1-10lbs. I know personally I can weigh myself in the am and then in the pm and find that there can be up to a five lbs difference. This change happens from anything to weighing yourself in relation to when you last ate, water weight and other factors as well.

Now you know yourself best to understand what you can do to not be so concerned with minor scale changes. Because that is really what I want to stress here. Feeling better is such a bigger part of all this. To have more energy and confidence is so positive and what people should be searching for. That being said weighing yourself and monitering your progress is something that is done. There are a few different ways people weigh themselves you have to find what works for you and makes you happy. There is never a point in being scale obsessed you have to find joys in other parts of the journey as well.

1) Some people find weekly weigh ins work for them. And as long as they see an overall losing trend they know they are on the right track.
    2)Some people track their weight by weighing themselves daily and then averaging for their weekly total.
    3)Some people weigh themselves in the am and pm then averge the two recordings for their daily number. Then use those daily numbers as and average for a weekly total. People may say it means you are on the scale to often and if you feel that way then this method is not for you. I used this method when I got discouraged as a way to better understand and be okay with how my bodies weight can naturally change through out the day and help me see the trends my body goes through.

But it really depends on how much time you want to spend on the scale and what makes you feel comfortable and not scale obsessed. The important part is to remember that a month is not a long time. Its a great start and you should feel very proud that you have stuck with it. If you are seeing an overall losing trend from the start of your journey to now then you are doing well. If you are discouraged by minor scale changes maybe try weighing your self once a day under the same conditions then taking an average of those recordings at the end of the week. This way your weigh in doesn't depend on one number/one weigh in. And it helps you account for and better understand how your body naturally flucuants through the day and can help you not get discouraged because you know your body changes.

And remeber when starting to work out you also start to gain muscle which does weigh more then fat. Which we've all heard a million times but is so true. You might not lose a pound one week but maybe you feel the benefits of eating better and being active. I know sometimes I don't lose any amount of weight however when I look in the mirror I am proud of the work I put in and the way I feel. If you stick with the program and incorporate being active you will see results. Results don't always come as fast as we want them too. However, this is a life change not a quick fix there are ups and downs and you just have to keep moving forward.
  • litecaramel
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. :heart: I'm definitely feeling the love/encouragement. I guess part of my frustration is because I made a bet with SO to see who could lose the most weight by April 1 and I hate losing :mad:

But yeah I'm just gonna stick to it. I definitely feel like I have a lot more energy. Oh and I weigh my food with a food scale and use measuring cups to make sure I'm as accurate as possible.