Not sure why I gained

Options
Hi all

Kind of off to a bad start this morning.. yesterday, I weighed 127 (my goal is 120). I've been very mindful of my calorie intake. Went to Subway yesterday, got a foot long Turkey bacon avacado (I know, I know.. there are better sandwiches a person trying to lose weight can choose). I calculated it's calories on the Subway website. Before the sandwich, i only had coffee with two servings of creamer, and like 12 m&m's to curb the nausea my iron pill was causing. Long story short.. that's all I had, all day. Just the coffee, not even a full serving of m&m's, and the footlong Subway sandwhich. I had coke zero to drink with the sandwich. Could be I'm just dense, but I know I didn't go over my allotted calories (for maintenance), even if I underestimated the total. Yet, here I am, 3 pounds heavier today at 130 lbs. Not sure why this happened. :(

Replies

• Kymaaa3
    Kymaaa3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You may need to have a good bowel movement. :) or water rentention. In weight loss you are going to have these moments up a few down a few. It will be okay. Blessings.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Water retention. Subway is loaded with sodium.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Could be a natural fluctuation - most likely it's the sodium from your Turkey bacon avocado which caused your body to hang on to more water. Plus dehydration - if you only had a coffee... Drink plenty of fluids today and tomorrow, and the weight gain will disappear..
  • AmyBinthe603
    AmyBinthe603 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me.. I have to be careful of how many carbs I eat. There's a lot in that Subway roll.. Also, look at your sodium for the day - if you went way over, you could be retaining water.

And lastly.. as strange as it sounds .. everything hits me on Day 2. If I over eat.. it takes 2 days for my body to figure it out.. the same for losing weight. Just keep on track and look at the number at the end of the week..
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Sodium from the turkey and the bacon in your sandwich.

The total sandwich is between 750-850 calories (I checked - depending on bread, cheese, and other toppings)
    Your coffee isn't a lot and some M&Ms.
    That's what 1100 calories?
  • em_009
    Options
    So then.. maybe this one isn't worth beating myself up over just yet? Man, I hope it's only water retention. Thank you for taking the time to respond, everyone!
  • em_009
    Options
    LishieFruit89, that's what I counted! I can lose weight at 1350 calories or below. Guess that's why I was so taken back, haha. Instead of going into meltdown mode, I guess I'll chalk it up to sodium and keep watching what I eat. Sigh. This is frustrating!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    LishieFruit89, that's what I counted! I can lose weight at 1350 calories or below. Guess that's why I was so taken back, haha. Instead of going into meltdown mode, I guess I'll chalk it up to sodium and keep watching what I eat. Sigh. This is frustrating!

So eat up to 1350 calories.

How tall are you and what did you set MFP at?
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So then.. maybe this one isn't worth beating myself up over just yet? Man, I hope it's only water retention. Thank you for taking the time to respond, everyone!
    If that is really all you ate that day, it's certainly not a lot of calories. I wonder though what your calorie intake was in the previous days? In all likelihood it's water weight, but if you routinely go over your calories (though not on this day) it could be fat. Good luck!