It's all in the belly

Options
Hi, I'm a new senior and have to lose about 40 pounds and it's all in the belly. I notice there are so many men with this problem and I want to do something about it. I'm what you might call a stress eater. I have a lot of stress. So if there is anyone who is getting rid of the mid section and has been having success please share your thoughts and suggestions. My doctor says I need to lower my BP and losing weight would help. Thanks:smile:

Replies

• Helent26
    Helent26 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome to the site.

Apparently stress release certain hormones/chemicals into the bloodstream that makes you lay down fat in the stomach area. So maybe helping you to find ways to de-stress may help - like swimming, meditation (or sitting in a quiet room soft music playing etc) or whatever you find that relaxes your body AND mind. Hopefully this would have a positive effect on the blood pressure too - because stress will elevate it.

Hope this helps and good luck with the weight loss and reduction of BP. :drinker:
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi there, spot reduction is about losing body fat in a specific area which is impossible to the best of my knowledge. You can only lose overall bodyfat. If you're putting it on your belly first then it's likely it'll come off there first. This annoys me as even at my slimmest I never saw my abs without looking really ill in the face. If I could keep some fat in my face and lose it over my stomach I'd be very happy.

My personal experience is I tend to eat when I am stressed or bored. I've found exercise, even just walking helps to alleviate stress and has the bonus of burning calories. Stress from my work builds up over a week or so when I know I have tasks outstanding and they're usually the not nice ones. Sometimes a walk at lunchtime helps get me in the mood to tackle them. It's never easy but for me addressing the root cause is the best long term approach whilst putting in coping strategies such as exercise. Stress eating is just a symptom if this.

Good luck.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    The only way to remove the gut is to have good nutrition, eat at a slight calorie deficit, and do some cardiovascular exercise. Your body will choose where the fat comes off, the gut will be there until the last moments so if you want to lose that, you have to get pretty lean.
  • paticap
    Options
    I eat when I am bored and stressed as well. I also have found cardio to help. I walk at a brisk pace daily. The cardio helps me burn more calories throughout the day even when I am at rest. I have also found that carbs and sugar go straight to my stomach and love handles. The minute I cut back on those and increase my protein, it starts coming off. Make sure to have a min. of 14 grams of protein for breakfast and it will cut your hunger throughout the day. Keep almonds or cheese with you to snack on for a high protein snack. You can do it !!! Good luck.
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Good point on the protein there. I read someting years ago that said sweet/chocolate cravings are a symptom of low protein.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
    I have a suggestion for the stress eating!
    Find a sweaty sport that you really love doing!

I'm enthusiastic about Martial Arts and, a newer aqueintance, wall climbing! There is no other stress reliever like the high that you get from doing those! :wink:

.. And I have had more than my fair share of stress lately.. :grumble:
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have read (not sure if it's true but I have read it in a couple different books) that white starches cause bloating & weight gain in the belly. You might try switching to brown rice, whole wheat pastas and breads and see if that helps.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Those have lots of fiber too which helps keep "the plumbing" in order!
  • doowoper
    Options
    Hi and thanks for the helpful hints.