Ballet Beautiful

Options
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone did the program Ballet Beautiful? For christmas I am getting myself the VSX footed tights, the VSX bra and a long T to match - basically just watched a video of one the VS Angels doing Ballet Beautiful and copied their comfy wear.

But what shoes to wear? Or socks?

Also, I am just now beginning to work out, I will get all of these things at Christmas and then start my new me. :) Curious about any suggestions on things to get - mats etc, for this program, if you do it.

Does it - or would I benefit- from a barre? (they make the mobile ones ..do you use one? If so which one?)

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'm a ballerina and yes, I'm beautiful.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have any input to give you BUT I'm glad you mentioned it because it sounds really interesting! I'll have to look it up!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with that program. But, I recently started adult ballet classes at a real dance school. Been to 5 classes. It is alot of fun, never boring, and a "light" workout. It isn't the same as running or walking fast on a treadmill. I don't think at the beginner adult level that you are necessarily going to burn 500 calories in an hour. However, my legs were very sore the first week. Hasn't been that bad since. Most of all, I am learning to stand taller and pay much more attention to my carraige. This has an affect on how others see me, and how I see myself. Ballet is a boost of confidence, and should be added into an overall weight loss system.

(If you want a super calorie burn, take up figure skating).
  • Feistybelle
    Options
    If you have Netflix or Amazon Prime it's on there for FREE!

ETA: I've done quite a bit of research, and I think this is a good way to get the ball rolling. Lots of results within two weeks as it's not a ballet class but a ballet body-building workout technique. To get a dancer's body. I would try figure skating but they just don't have that in the south. :) (Only in very large cities)
  • Feistybelle
    Options
    Anyone do it at all?
  • angelahu09
    angelahu09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yep!

(Been a while since the last post, but was browsing the forums randomly and came across this.)

I just started the classic 60 minute workout a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and every time I do it, IT BURNS SO MUCH. I don't do it 3 times a week (more like 1x or 2x) like she suggests you do it in the video, because I take adult ballet 2x a week and Graham style contemporary 1x a week, but I have definitely noticed I'm getting stronger every time I do the workout and when I go back to class.

The exercises are done in sets of 4, and I started out doing only 2 sets of each exercise but slowly working my way up to 3 sets, and will eventually get to 4 sets. Can't really say I "look" more toned because I haven't really looked or benchmarked what's "toned" on me.

If you're like me and don't have a gym membership or weights, it is a really easy and portable (yoga mat only) strength/resistance workout using your body's weight rather than additional weights/equipment.
  • genfod
    genfod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes me! For 7 months (around that) religiously now; although I first discovered it around 'Black Swan' time and did it on and off (it's hard and i was lazy back then). It's AMAZING! Best workout ever and it's transforming my body. I have the Classic DVD, Sculpt & Burn and Cardio Fat Blast DVDs plus the Custom Workout from the Ballet Beautiful Website. I never thought I'd be happy with my legs as I've always had cellulite and too much of the wrong exercise when I was younger bulked me up. I'm sorry but whoever says weight training will not bulk women up is mistaken-I did! Anyway...I'm stronger and in the best shape I've ever been in at 33! (I've always been a U.K size 10 and am now an 8). I am toned, my cellulite is almost gone, my endurance is the best its ever been and I think I look great (if i do say so myself). I have nice curves and look like a dancer. It's not the waif look (THANK GOD); leave that to Tracy Anderson. My posture and flexibility have improved (I can nearly do the splits) and ultimately it's all about treating your body well, respecting it and using exercise as a way of pampering yourself, not torturing yourself. It promotes a very healthy and delicious way of eating; NO starvation diets here and I just love it! Oh and it's an absolute killer workout btw! You'll be in agony but believe me it's so worth it! Do it and you won't look back :)
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jsissom86
    jsissom86 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Did you start this? I started this week and am LOVING it. Basically b/c I have a bad back and crunches kill it, so this is alot easier. It's like, "a fat girl's workout" b/c it's mostly floor time. But MAN DOES IT BURN!!!! It's also broken down into scenes so it's as if it's 2 minutes long, but really you're getting 15 minutes in. The easiest workout w/ the most effectiveness.
  • angelahu09
    angelahu09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone did the program Ballet Beautiful? For christmas I am getting myself the VSX footed tights, the VSX bra and a long T to match - basically just watched a video of one the VS Angels doing Ballet Beautiful and copied their comfy wear.

But what shoes to wear? Or socks?

Also, I am just now beginning to work out, I will get all of these things at Christmas and then start my new me. :) Curious about any suggestions on things to get - mats etc, for this program, if you do it.

Does it - or would I benefit- from a barre? (they make the mobile ones ..do you use one? If so which one?)

To answer your questions, because I'm not sure anyone has...

MHB says in the video that the workout is designed to be really portable. I use a yoga mat because I already have one, but if you didn't, just putting a beach towel down on carpeted floor is fine (hardwood floor - definitely get a mat, plus mats are a pretty good exercise equipment investment in general, I think).

You definitely don't need a traditional barre for the Classic 60 minute workout. If you do need a bit of balance help during the standing segments, I suggest very lightly holding the back of a tall chair because...

In proper ballet technique, the barre is a learning tool, meant to assist your stabilization as you learn a new exercise. However, the barre is not available to ballerinas dancing on stage (seriously, what professional ballet company puts on a show with a barre in the middle of the stage?), so everything you learn to do at the barre...you have to learn to be able to do it in the center without the aid of a barre, relying on your own core strength to stabilize you.

For BB workout clothes, I don't even bother putting on my ballet slippers that I actually dance in for class. Bare feet or socks. Just regular comfy, flexible sweatpants/t-shirt combo (which, truthfully, is what I wear to ballet class anyway...never bothered buying a leotard). On underpinnings...well, I've done ballet class and BB in both sports bras and regular under-wired bra because I come straight from work and either has worked for me. However, I am also a B cup and don't need as much...uh, support during exercise. ;-)

Hope that helps!