Polar FT7 problems

Options
Hi everyone!

I have been using my Polar FT7 for a few months now and I now have a problem with it.

During my workout, it would read my heart rate correctly, (i.e. 172 etc), but then randomly, it would show 80 as my heart rate and then 00. It would either stay like that until I restart it or it would take its sweet time to go back. Obviously this is a huge distraction for me as I like to keep a consistent heart rate and this is not helpful as I would worry about what is happening with my watch.

This has happened before when I first got it, but I was able to fix it by strapping it to my chest instead of underneath my breasts as recommended. Now a few months later, it is happening again. It happened last friday so I thought the strap is getting too loose. I tightened the strap today and it still happened!

Has this happened to anyone before? If so, how did you fix it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Replies

• j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem to be a connection problem (I dont think) as I am pretty sweaty during my cardio sessions

• mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Do you wash it consistently? You are supposed to wash the strap weekly. I use a large water bottle, put a drop of detergent in it and then hot water. I add the strap and shake it up for a few minutes. I then rinse out the water and hang it to dry. That has helped in the past when I have had this problem.
  • j99li
    Options
    Yes I do wash it on a weekly basis...however I put it through the washing machine.....is this why?
    Do you wash it consistently? You are supposed to wash the strap weekly. I use a large water bottle, put a drop of detergent in it and then hot water. I add the strap and shake it up for a few minutes. I then rinse out the water and hang it to dry. That has helped in the past when I have had this problem.
  • j99li
    Options
    bump
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had that exact problem with my FT4. I contacted customer service (they have live chat on their help page, and a phone number too), and they sent me a new transmitter. After a couple months the same problem cropped up again so I had to send the watch and the strap and the transmitter in for warranty service. They diagnosed that there was corrosion on some of the parts and they replaced the strap and transmitter (the watch itself was fine) and it has been working just fine since then. I had to pay to ship it to them but the replacements and the shipping back to me was free. I believe they have a one year warranty? Or maybe it is two years? Try their live chat and they should help you.
  • jessa271
    Options
    Happened to me a few weeks ago. Had to send it in for service. Turned out the wires in the strap weren't right & they had to replace the strap.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Could also be the battery in the transmitter. I think the strap is supposed to be hand washed, not in a washing machine.
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    do you take the censor off the strap when you are not using it. My friend never did and hers would read like that until she changed the battery.
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh and don't worry about the washing machine, they actually say in the online manual to wash the strap in the machine in a garment bag every five workouts (I think that's what they said anyway). They DID say to take it out before the spin cycle starts, but mine went through the wash several times before I got that memo.
    Yes I do wash it on a weekly basis...however I put it through the washing machine.....is this why?
  • j99li
    Options
    Ohhh lol ok. I have it go through a full spin cycle with my gym clothes.

I am going to try the live help...hopefully they can help people living in Canada. If not, time for a battery change!
    Oh and don't worry about the washing machine, they actually say in the online manual to wash the strap in the machine in a garment bag every five workouts (I think that's what they said anyway). They DID say to take it out before the spin cycle starts, but mine went through the wash several times before I got that memo.