winter boots

Options
So big calves run in my family and mine are no exception. My calves are about 19" at their largest point I'm looking for winter boots that preferably go to the knee, are flat, combat style, with a waffle sole for traction. My calves are pretty much solid muscle, so I don't expect them to get much smaller than maybe 17 in the end (I could be wrong on this, but I doubt it). I'd like these boots to be lace up so I don't have to buy new ones later. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I may end up just buying classic DMs but the knee highs are too narrow for sure. The to-the-calf ones are fine because I have "normal" shins & ankles (if not a bit sturdy, but nothing outside a normal range).

Thx!

edit: I should add that I'm looking for genuine quality. torrid is a good suggestion, but i think their shoes are more fashion oriented than function. so I thank you for it, but I'm looking for something a little more sturdy.

Neither my boyfriend nor I drive cars (for environmental reasons). In Rhode Island, we get snow, but the snow isn't the worst, it's the ice. Snow at least has a little traction. So I need them to be very sturdy and last more than one season.

I don't mind spending money on quality. I often get my shoes repaired rather than buy new ones, so while money is an issue on the fashion side, it's not so much an issue on the quality side.

Replies

• tigerlily2010
    Options
    Try Torrid. They have boots that are designed for bigger calves. Their stuff runs a liitle to goth, but they have some really nice boots and clothes.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Zappos- select shoes, then boots, wide shafts.
    Free shipping if you need to return them, great service!
    Happy shopping!
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    Depends on where you live, I suppose.

Most bigger urban areas probably have stores that are dedicated to the larger calves, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Big department stores probably carry brands that are designed larger as well (JC Penny, Sears, etc). You may have to order online in case they don't have them in the store itself.

I find it boils down to just trial and error. I have a similar problem, and I found a pair of boots that are flat, knee high and are actually lose enough that a pair of jeans can fit under them at a regular shoe store. I generally stay away from tall boots that are sold in "missies" clothing stores, as they are usually too tight to pull up. Stay away from zippers too, lol. My new boots don't have a zip, they are just pull-on!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have this chain of stores in the US or not. I got my boots at Mark's Work Wearhouse. They had some the were tight in the calf but most were reasonable. Payless Shoes is another option with offers wide calf models in some of their boots.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have this chain of stores in the US or not. I got my boots at Mark's Work Wearhouse. They had some that were tight in the calf but most were reasonable. Payless Shoes is another option that offers wide calf models in some of their boots.

I must have been half asleep when I typed this answer. Corrected it above!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    oh, typos.. no big.

i'm kind of diggin on something that might button slightly to the side, maybe a more victorian style than a combat style. what i really want, though is something durable and that can be repaired - rather than thrown out - in the future.
  • kayemme
    Options
    thanks everybody, so far, for your suggestions. i'll continue my search!
  • kayemme
    Options
    you know, maybe i'll just get spats for my DMs.. that might be kind of sweet..