i ama server

lesajgreen
lesajgreen Posts: 6
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
i have question i am a server and work alot. however on friday and saturdays i work double which mean i work from 11 am to 2:30 pm and then i come back on at 4pm till 9:30 pm i am always moving which is the best excersize track for me????? i have been tracking 2.0 miles slow pace for as long as i am working less an hourif we have down time someone please help me figure out how to track it thanks lesa

Replies

• mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    i would think that doesnt count as exercise calories id figure that as day to day routine im not sure i dont track stuff like that just because i dont like to give leeway to myself and think i have extra calories if you eat all the calories your body naturally burns off i dont see the point anyways a heart rate monitor would be your best best
  • if you have activity level set to active, I personally, wouldn't track it b/c i'd figure it was already calculated in.

do you remember what you listed yourself as?
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    I wear a body media all day and I average about a calorie a minute just sitting on my butt. When I'm lesuriely walking around the house or doing light cleaning I average about 2.5 calories a minute. So, maybe figure out your bmr, by dividing it to get your calories burned per minute doing nothing and double it.
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Virgie and mccorml are of course not being helpful as usual. I don't disagree with either of them however. If your goal is to lose weight then do not count the time you are at work on your feet as exercise (unless it is a new job and you weren't counting it previously). Even so, it's probably better to list yourself as a nurse or other active person than to incorporate the time on your feet as exercise. This is because it is very difficult to count something where your heart rate is not elevated as appropriate exercise calories. It takes almost 30 minutes of continous exercise at 55% of your maximum heart rate to even begin burning fat calories so you would really be doing yourself a disservice by tracking your work calories.

If you'd rather track them anyway then I would probably estimate at leisurely pace for 3/4 of the time you were on your feet. So 3 hours for 4 hours on your feet. Everyone burns differently and you may be getting a great workout when you're at work but it's up to you to be honest with yourself and say: does this feel the same as doing______?
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    ^ i dont appreciate that randy! GOSH! :sad:
  • next time i'll just wait for you to post, Randy, & then i'll just nod. :tongue: :laugh:
  • ^ i dont appreciate that randy! GOSH! :sad:
    right?
  • :glasses: double post
  • triple posts are
    h
    a
    w
    t
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    I think that's quite enough Virgie and I DIDN'T disagree with you guys ya know.
  • I agree with the previous posts. I am a server in a VERY busy restaurant. A lot of days when I work I pull 7 to 9 hour shifts -- I don't take break and I am on the run the entire time. I set my profile up to reflect this activity level, however I do not count work as exercise calories, since MFP asked this when I set up my account, I just figured work was covered already. I just consider it a bonus that I am in a job where I am active and not in one where I am on my bum all day!

Lucy
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Same as other reply's, don't use this as exercise, heart rate needs to speed up to really have impact! Are you eating right during these long hrs? Was in restaurant business long time,know the stress & eating habits. Wasn't very good for me,sorry, gained 60 lbs over 20 years...wasn't the cals, was the cortisol from stress & not eating properly. [Like just sitting down for 15 mins to eat] Never did,always on the run! Good luck!
  • Thanks guys. This helps alot.
This discussion has been closed.