Such a thing as healthy crackers?

Options
Quite a broad question I know but i've heard so many mixed reviews on this subject, i know if you only eat them sparingly some people think there is no point making a thing of this but im just genuinely interested what are the healthiest on the market..

I myself eat the ryvita multigrain crispbread in place of bread often enough and find them handy as an on the go snack with things such as tuna or hummus on them, but i've been reading around lately and most articles refer to crackers as processed and not the best healthy alternative I suppose.

Just wondering what are others opinions/what brands you guys use :D

Replies

• lesath
    Options
    cucumber slices :)
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you have blood sugar issues then you should probably be sticking to the multigrain ones. Other than that, as a snack crackers are fine and go great with slices of cheese and sopressata
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I like wasa brand. They are good if you want some with canned fish or something, but most people wouldn't be tempted to sit there eat the whole box. They have different varieties, depending on what you are after.
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I make my own. It's fun to do on a lazy weekend. These are super healthy and keep for a long while even though they are preservative free.
    Here is the recipe:
    http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/28/food/fo-cracker28
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the Special K cracker chips. Various flavors that actually taste really good. One serving size is 27-30 crackers depending on the flavor. Plain sea salt is good for dips or cheese. :-)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Quite a broad question I know but i've heard so many mixed reviews on this subject, i know if you only eat them sparingly some people think there is no point making a thing of this but im just genuinely interested what are the healthiest on the market..

I myself eat the ryvita multigrain crispbread in place of bread often enough and find them handy as an on the go snack with things such as tuna or hummus on them, but i've been reading around lately and most articles refer to crackers as processed and not the best healthy alternative I suppose.

2quhg7o.gif
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    Mary's Gone Crackers brand are pretty good. Made with brown rice, quinoa, sesame seeds. I like 'em when i'm in a mood for something crunchy.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If you have blood sugar issues then you should probably be sticking to the multigrain ones. Other than that, as a snack crackers are fine and go great with slices of cheese and sopressata

No blood sugar issues was just wondering in general what are the best ones to go for
    thanks for the replies everyone, just wanted to hear what people had to say really :).
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Ones you make at home would be best if crackers are an everyday part of your diet, IMO. Anything from the grocery isle is almost guaranteed to be chock full of sugar, seed oils and trans fats which are things I limit. So I'd treat them just like any other treat/dessert (save them for special occasions and then eat the ones I like the best) and not let myself get caught up in any of the marketing. Healthy whole grains and heart check marks do make crackers a health food.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Is your cracker eating habit causing you to exceed your calorie intake?
    Is your cracker eating habit causing you to fail to meet fat and protein minimums?
    Are the crackers preventing you from eating enough nutrient dense foods like vegetables and some fruit because you just eat way too many crackers?
    Do they have artificial trans fats?

If you answered No to the above then I'd keep eating your crackers.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I tried the Mary's Gone Crackers gluten-free kind and it was like eating grout. I would rather have one of those golden, crispy, buttery round thingys and eat less the next day. At least I'd have a little fun, whereas with the Mary's Gone Crackers things there was no upside as far as I could see.
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

2quhg7o.gif
    Haha this^, everything these days is a at least a little processed.... just be sensible, they're crackers - they won't sabotage your diet or kill you with chemicals just because they were made somewhere.

Multigrain is healthier but I just go for original Ryvita most of the time. I like dipping them in soup instead of bread.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Well...
  • catbender
    Options
    I've got a semi-solution: Suzie's Thin Cakes

They're rice cakes, so obviously don't go nuts on them if you're trying to stay low in carbs. However, these light, airy babies knock in at around ~50-60 cals for three pieces. I personally like natural taste of the spelt and flax thin cakes:

http://www.soap.com/p/suzies-spelt-and-flax-thin-cakes-5-5-oz-12-pk-300511?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_S&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=GoogleAW

They come in brown rice, quinoa, corn, salted/unsalted, etc. I usually opt for the unsalted ones so to let my fillings shine. Also, they're gluten-free.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    i-hate-crackers-they-are-salty-and-high-on-cholesterol.jpg
  • phantomjam
    phantomjam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You could try water crackers. They have very plain jane ingredients and a neutral flavour ideal for toppings. You won't be tempted to snack on them by themselves. (Not for those with gluten issues.) Brands vary from country to country but a few are mentioned in the article below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_biscuit
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    i-hate-crackers-they-are-salty-and-high-on-cholesterol.jpg

But I'm healthy
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I tried the Mary's Gone Crackers gluten-free kind and it was like eating grout. I would rather have one of those golden, crispy, buttery round thingys and eat less the next day. At least I'd have a little fun, whereas with the Mary's Gone Crackers things there was no upside as far as I could see.

I have celiac disease and have tried Mary's Gone Crackers. What I eat are NutThins, They taste way better and have a good variety of flavors available.

OP - any grain you eat is processed, unless you are picking it, washing it and eating it raw. I like a little help with my food prep, but I've never claimed to be a clean eater. i do try to eat things my grandmothers would recognize - one would be in her 100's and the other in her 110's - but I don't say I eat clean. They both ate crackers and ice cream. :bigsmile: (Heck one of them at PopTarts when she was on chemo. Apparently there was some preservative in them that made them easier to keep down than toast and jam. I don't eat PopTarts -- they don't taste good gluten free.) I also try to emulate them in eating more plants, less meat, but I'm mostly team IIFYM.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Is your cracker eating habit causing you to exceed your calorie intake?
    Is your cracker eating habit causing you to fail to meet fat and protein minimums?
    Are the crackers preventing you from eating enough nutrient dense foods like vegetables and some fruit because you just eat way too many crackers?
    Do they have artificial trans fats?

If you answered No to the above then I'd keep eating your crackers.

puts everything in perspective.
    thanks for the replies everyone.