Easy ways to get my veggies in?

Options
So I'm terrible with veggies I know I need them specially green ones. But can't eat cooked veggies they just make me want to vomit and with uncooked the only way they taste good is to dip them in ranch not a fan humus or anything like that.

I do add spinach to my protein shake maybe once a week but I know it not enough veggies.

What are ways I can eat them without it tasting horrible?

Here are the veggies I like.

Potatoes

Carrots

Broccoli

Green beans like the ones you would find in veggy trays

Spinach

Salad

Jalapeños

Pickles

But that is it I can't eat my veggies plain but don't want to pour this big thing of ranch in them what can I do? Thanks

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Stir frys typically don't really cook the veggies all the way to mush, it's more just heating them through. They stay crisp, and depending on how you flavor the dish, pretty dang tasty.

I add a lot of veggies to my taco skillets and chillis.

If you absolutely can't eat them cooked at all, then find recipes for homemade ranch dressings that are low in calories. There are several on the recipe board that look pretty good.
  • LeanneHarrington3
    LeanneHarrington3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What I do is a get the blender out, stick in apple orange banana or raspberries or whatever and throw in raw caggabe/spinach/broccoli or all of them! add a little water, blend and chug! You don't taste the green because of the stronger tasting fruits and you get all of the goodness :)
  • LeanneHarrington3
    Options
    Even if you had 3 or 4 fruits and only added one type of vegetable, it would work. I do it because of an allergy I can't eat fruit or raw veg at all as I blister and swell. So I do it this way so I can drink it all fast x
  • MarkFraser142
    MarkFraser142 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cooking veggies with 1 table spoon of oil can make for fantastic results.

I actually bought an actifry just so I can cook vegetables in. They come out really, really good with one 1 table spoon of oil/butter.
  • swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am a huge green smoothie fan - 4-6 servings of veg a day with 3-4 servings of fruit. I have tried just about every kind of veg in a smoothie and find that kale and spinach and chard and lettuce and cabbage don't really taste like anything. I get very tired of eating salads and don't like cooked veggies either, so this has been a huge diet improvement for me! the website for "incredible smoothies" has lots of great free recipes.
  • LeanneHarrington3
    Options
    I am a huge green smoothie fan - 4-6 servings of veg a day with 3-4 servings of fruit. I have tried just about every kind of veg in a smoothie and find that kale and spinach and chard and lettuce and cabbage don't really taste like anything. I get very tired of eating salads and don't like cooked veggies either, so this has been a huge diet improvement for me! the website for "incredible smoothies" has lots of great free recipes.

The only bad smoothie I have had contained celery. That one was baaaad lol. But all others are yummy. I don't add milk or yogurt though, just water if it needs it x
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm always dicing veggies up or pureeing them to add to other meals to cut the calories per serving. The easiest ones to do this with are cauliflower and mushroom. Dice them up and use them as bulking agents for the rest of your meals.

Cauliflower, when pulsed in the food processor, can leave you with "rice" for making fried rice with meat. Tastes delicious, but you're getting some nutrition in.

When I make meatballs, I dice or puree green peppers, cauliflower, and spinach to add to the meat mixture.

You can also try making this creamy cauliflower sauce that acts like Alfredo sauce! http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-cauliflower-sauce
  • QETAKO
    Options
    Make a veggie sushi roll: Sushi nori sheet + 1/4 steamed jasmine rice + salad spring mix/spinach + match stick carrots + avocados + anything else you want (wasabi, honey mustard, srirachi, etc.) + sesame ginger dressing to dip.. it's addictive.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    roast them

sooooooooooooooo good you will become obsessed
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have never been a veggie person myself other than the occasional salad (with chicken, of course) or a serving of broccoli/green beans at dinner. I like fruits but I normally dont eat them...so what I personally have found helpful in getting my servings in is V8 fusion drink it has a serving a veggies and a serving of fruit its 100% juice.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Spinach in place of iceberg lettuce in a sandwich (like a BLT) is a fairly painless switch that gets you a better micronutrient result.
  • yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can roast all sorts of veggies. Sweet potato, parsnips, onion, garlic, etc. Roasted veggies are good as a side dish or in soups. What about raw veggies tossed in an oil based dressing?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    roast them

sooooooooooooooo good you will become obsessed

This!

Once I learned this trick, I taught it to my mother. She roasts up two trays of veggies when the grandkids come over and the veggies disappear.

You can roast ANYTHING. I hated cooked cauliflower until I had it roasted. I had never met a brussel sprout I could stomach, until I had it roasted. In our house, green beans and asparagus are real front runners. The only thing I have tried that wasn't an absolute hit was broccoli, but that might because I add cheese to my husband's broccoli when I steam it, so he likes that better.
  • mhmkl5
    mhmkl5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How about soup?

Carrot Ginger Soup
    1 onion, 8 large carrots, 1 medium potato (peeled), 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger, 5 cups chicken broth. Dice all veg, sauté veg with cooking spray, and liquid and simmer until carrots are VERY soft, purée.

Creamy Tomato Soup
    Cooking spray, 2 tsp chopped garlic, 1 onion (finely diced), 2x 28oz cans of diced tomatoes, 7 cups veg/chicken stock, 1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup carrot, 3/4 cup celery (both diced), 1 tsp basil, 2 fresh basil leaves, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. Soften garlic & onion. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 25 minutes or so. Puree.
  • shelzwillis
    shelzwillis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I get my veggies in a smoothie.... I use at least 1 cup of spinach usually 2 with 1/4 c blueberries, 2 strawberries, a slice of ginger and a squeeze of lime. Oh yeah 1/2 c water. Its wonderful and I get my greens in every day. I usually drink it in the morning. Its also very low calories!
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I also do green smoothies as well. Mine typically consist of 2 "handfuls" of my chosen green, usually spinach or kale, I switch between them on a bi-weekly basis. It usually comes to about 50g of the green. Then I add fruit, which is usually strawberry's or blueberry's (or both), sometimes mango. The fruit weight usually comes to about 70g, which is about a "handful" for me. I always add a small splash of lemon juice, then I add half a cup of milk and some protein powder and make it a protein green smoothie.

(small note on veggie weight, I cut off the stems of the veggies, which tend to cut a lot of the weight. I'm not sure how much nutrients the stems have, but considering they are much lighter in color I'm assuming not that much)

It would be about 100 less calories without the protein powder and the half a cup of milk but it makes it taste tons better imo. I don't really get any veggies or enough protein in my system unless I have one of these a day.

Usually my green smoothies come to about 190 - 220 calories depending on the my fruit. They would probably be around 100 calories without the milk or protein.

----

I have not tried roasting veggies, maybe I should try that. How exactly do you "roast" them? :indifferent: