I think i'm addicted to the gym

Options
not the gym so much the adrenalin rush you get from running,spinning or whatever it is I decide to do ... kinda Got to the point where I'm going before and after work. i feel like if I don't go my mood just tanks and I begin feeling like ****/angry/tired ...Once I go i'm back to "normal" again until tomorrow when the cycle starts all over again lol

wondering if maybe it's a little overkill or a healthy addiction

has anyone else experienced this ??

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I get bummed out if I'm going to miss a gym day. I know I'll make it up, but man, if something comes up and I miss a date with the barbell it sucks. I always feel great when I'm there, and after I'm done, so I know where your coming from. I don't think it's unhealthy at all, unless it pairs with an eating disorder.

Rigger
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing it for a few years now. It's a very healthy addiction. :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I get that with Tae Bo and Zumba. I know exactly how you feel!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well twice a day...how many days a week? Twice a day does seem a bit much.

I do know what you mean though, if I can't work out I start to feel down, because I'm not getting that endorphin rush!

At the moment I can't do leg exercises, due to knee problems, but I'm still going along to do arms/ shoulder and some circuit training.
  • ec371
    ec371 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling negative ramifications in other aspects of your life (injuries, putting in hours at work, spending time with spouse/child, ect)?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on Friday on my hand, so I did nothing over the weekend, but I did start back on my walking today :smile: , but I can't lift for a month, now that makes me sad!! :sad:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    What you are experiencing is pretty much normal.

If you get to the point that you would rather be in the gym than doing things with friends or family and it takes up the majority of free time in your life, then you may have a problem, until then, enjoy that endorphin buzz, its awesome.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

You forgot Jazzercise. I specifically remember you talking about the rush you got from that. *jazz hands*
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i've struggled with what your feeling for a few years now.

I don't have an answer for you sadly... I just know that it comes and goes in phases. It can def lead you to injuries if you let it take over your life.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Dunno ... but I can share the opposite view.
    No exercise is surely worse!

Can you share your secret? ... I need some of what you have!!

It is not that I do not exercise enough. I do exercise ... and have in the past done it 5 times a week for a whole year ... but still every step is a schlep and a job :cry:

Consequently I am always giving it up and always starting again and always battling :frown:

Actually my point is ... you are so lucky! Enjoy it, simply because you have it! I am envious:drinker:
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    When I first started on MyFitnesPal (on a different account) I used the 1200 limit they set for me. I became addicted to going to the gym after that because I wasn't eating nearly enough and was starving and needed the exercise calories to eat back. I went twice a day. I also was going through some emotional stuff at the time and decided to beat the crap out of my body to make myself feel better. Bad times! I don't think the exercise was the unhealthy part of that though. I think the exceptionally restricted diet and mental problems were the unhealthy part.

Now I go to the gym largely for my anxiety, and I will get antsy and stuff if I don't go... That adrenaline rush that you love just because it feels good, also helps keep me calm most of the time. As long as you're eating enough, not hurting yourself and doing it because it makes you happy, I think you're okay :)
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I KNOW I'm addicted to the gym. I start getting legitimately aggravated when I know I am going to miss a work out, take tonight for example, I'm going out for a friends birthday, just happy hour drinks but I won't be able to hit the gym. Now I am not upset about going out for her birthday, I'm excited, but the fact that I'm going to miss a work out drives me insane. I'd love to go lift some weights tonight, it's what keeps me level headed.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I definately have an addiction to the gym.. I enjoy being around fit and happy people who just want
    to improve daily with exercise.
  • Fitastic14
    Options
    not the gym so much the adrenalin rush you get from running,spinning or whatever it is I decide to do ... kinda Got to the point where I'm going before and after work. i feel like if I don't go my mood just tanks and I begin feeling like ****/angry/tired ...Once I go i'm back to "normal" again until tomorrow when the cycle starts all over again lol

wondering if maybe it's a little overkill or a healthy addiction

has anyone else experienced this ??

IMO -- I think you're bordering the healthy addiction with the overkill! I totally get what you mean, my 'off' days rarely happen and I'm miserable when they do. I also don't get my activity in until after my work shift, so I don't feel as happy until that happens.

I think a healthy amount of workout time each day is 1-2 hours, MAX! I'm no professional, but all things in life work best - BALANCED!

Try to find other things that make you happy. =)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    its not the gym for me (though i do love it)...its running...this winter is killing me because ive had to alter so much..I cannot function if I dont get my run in the way i want it.

addicted yes...would i change that...no...beats crack
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am addicted. I get edgy if i miss a workout after work. It is how I unwind after work. There is nothing wrong with it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

You forgot Jazzercise. I specifically remember you talking about the rush you got from that. *jazz hands*

Not exactly true. If you had asked me last year Jazzercise totally would have been included......I think I got burned out though. Haven't been in over a month.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Not exactly true. If you had asked me last year Jazzercise totally would have been included......I think I got burned out though. Haven't been in over a month.

I didn't say I remembered how long ago! :tongue: