It's the time of year again.. GS COOKIES

Options
Dangit!!! My boss sent out an email, "Girl Scout cookies here!" Curses! How do I resist? What's the least cruel cookie? I cannot resist the Samoas, but the urge to down a whole box in one sitting must be curbed! ;)

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Samoas are the best :drinker:

I'd eat a couple, then give the rest away, OR freeze them, divided into portions, and store them waaaay in the back of the freezer.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bad plan.. Have you tried FROZEN girl scout cookies???
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    They freeze fabulously, and taste just as good when thawed, so I will probably go that route.

But it's soooo haaaaaaard...

/whine
    /tinyviolin
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I got two boxes last week and managed not to go overboard. It was a pretty good NSV for me!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Local girls preparing and tallying my order this Sunday:

20140208_105804_zps3f2613cd.jpg
    20140208_105817_zps99dfdc12.jpg
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, don't give into the temptation, it's not worth it!
    No, really, it's not worth it.
    Not anymore, at least.
    I used to be a COMPLETE Samoas and Tagalongs ADDICT. Finishing off two boxes of each was no problem for me (although my stomach wasn't a huge fan of it at the time).
    However, apparently a new company produces these cookies now.
    This means, instead of "Samoas," they're officially "Caramel deLites"
    And instead of "Tagalongs," they're called "Peanut Butter Patties."
    So what, a new name?
    Nope.
    New taste, too. Poor quality! The Samoas now have milk chocolate drizzle (as opposed to dark), and both the cookies taste as if the cookie base itself is extremely low quality. Not NEARLY as good.
    Save your money, please. They're disappointments.
    I think Thin Mints stayed the same though, but I was never personally a huge fan of them.
    Which in that case, maybe purchasing a box you're not a big fan of, to support the local girl scouts, may be a good idea!
    This way if you do wish to have a few, you'll be able to control yourself more. Or you can give them to a loved one painlessly.
    But the Samoas and Tagalongs will never, ever be the same.
    Yet I still ate two boxes! Go figure. Those things must be laced with something. They honestly were not worth it. Nope.
  • Zaftique
    Options
    Depends on what state you're in. If I knew how to attach photos, I could show off the boxes of 100% genuine Samoas my boss has in her office.

Caramel DeLites are fauxlicious. :\
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Samoas and thin mints are delicious. I second the freezing thing. Imagine a mental hand slap every time you try to eat more than you've portioned and how awesome it will be to still have GS cookies left for a later time! You can do eeeet!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I think Thin Mints stayed the same though, but I was never personally a huge fan of them.

I don't know, they're vegan now and don't taste quite like I remember them. I'll stick to my cool mint Oreo's
  • doubleclick_darling
    Options
    I seen signs now in front of houses (even some with hours when they can take orders). Thankfully, 7:30-8 AM is not a prime time to sell cookies, so I can avoid the tables in front. And the stores where they usually sell them in front of I rarely go to unless I need something that I can't get at my regular store.

But now I'm really wanting a box. D: I might take make a batch of healthy gs cookies to use my apartment kitchen the first time once I've moved in.
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Conversation w/ friend:
    Him: The drug dealers were selling outside of the grocery store again today.
    Me: What??
    Him: The girl scouts.

I think of that every time I see them now. :noway:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Got my 4 boxes of Thanks-A-Lots. I'm set :bigsmile:
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I got two boxes last week and managed not to go overboard. It was a pretty good NSV for me!

Good for you!!

I bought a box each of my favorites (won't get them until I see my niece later in March) and I will eat 2 or 3 a day, fit into my calorie goal. Think of it this way - they will last longer and I'll get to enjoy them for a few weeks.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    However, apparently a new company produces these cookies now.
    This means, instead of "Samoas," they're officially "Caramel deLites"
    And instead of "Tagalongs," they're called "Peanut Butter Patties."

There were always (well, at least 25+ years) Samoas/Caramel de Lites and Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties. Little Brownie Bakers does Samoas/Tagalongs and ABC-Interbake Foods does Caramel de Lites/Peanut Butter patties both companies do Thin Mints LBB's are smooth at the edge and ABC's are slightly scalloped. I prefer one over the other but I don't remember because I don't often get them. I grew up eating Caramel de Lites and I prefer them over Samoas. I actually won't eat a Samoa! I do recommend the Thanks-A-Lots you can get from ABC. Not what you are used to but maybe you'll like them. (I miss them and the Lemonades!)

Recently our councils merged into one counsel and we lost ABC cookies and now sell LBBs. It's the Coke/Pepsi issue of the cookie world!

https://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/ and http://www.abcsmartcookies.com/

Dangit!!! My boss sent out an email, "Girl Scout cookies here!" Curses! How do I resist? What's the least cruel cookie? I cannot resist the Samoas, but the urge to down a whole box in one sitting must be curbed! ;)

It's cookie time!! :D I've got some Tagalongs in the freezer and I'll probably get some more... I just haven't decided on what yet!
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    LOL! You can Enjoy them in Moderation!

I'm a GS aka Drug Dealer Mom and have had more cookies coming through my house than I can shake a stick at - but we do have two boxes of our own Shortbreads in the fridge!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mx4dljX8Jd1rvj266o1_500.gif

I'm just kidding. :P I'd probably still get a couple/few boxes and not feel bad about them being gone by the end of February.
  • Zaftique
    Options
    Hunger Games .gif?

Well played.

HDdHa.gif
  • harperjs
    harperjs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a excellent home baker, which is usually at odds with losing weight, but one thing that is a boon is I no longer have a taste for ANY boxed/store bought sweets. They just aren't worth it. I did buy 3 boxes of GS cookies last year (PBP, Caramel DeLites and Thin Mints) only to find them *not worth it*.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My coworker brought in part of her daughter's stash today. I bought 3 boxes and will probably buy a few more.

They have a new cranberry citrus cookie which has 150 cals for 5 (totes better than 2 cookies for the other kinds).

I'm stoked :)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I avoid them like the plague! Thin mints are tools of the Devil :laugh: