Covering taste of "unflavoured" BCAAs while fasting

Options
A bit of a weird question, I know. I just got a biggg bag (500gr) of "unflavoured" BCAAs from myprotein. I thought to myself "If I mix it with coffee, how bad can it be?" Well, it IS THAT bad, actually is even worst, IS EVIL. Do they call that "unflavoured"?

Anyway, I guess I wouldn't be the only one buying that stuff and I also guess that I am not the only one working out fasted in the morning, so I am wondering if someone could have any idea of "anything" (with no calories) that could cover the "unflavoured" taste of the evil powder.

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Why are you working out "fasted" if you're taking BCAAs pre-WO?

Anyway, you could try cordials or a little bit of fruit juice diluted with water.

ETA: Because BCAAs do have calories, regardless of what it says on the packet.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Mio, Mio energy, or any generic knock offs. Some kind of cherry or citrus flavor usually covers bitterness well. Careful with the water content, I know some BCAAs aren't very soluble.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I take the same approach some people do with liquor. Shoot the bad tasting stuff and chase with something. You can also get BCAAs in capsules, which probably cost a bit more, but don't have any taste!
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Assuming it's the "fasting" that we use in ADF, 5:2, and so on; you're allowed 500 calories on a fast day.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Assuming it's the "fasting" that we use in ADF, 5:2, and so on; you're allowed 500 calories on a fast day.

If that's the case, I'd take the BCAAs with whatever food I was getting in.

I was assuming OP was doing fasted cardio or similar in the morning, in which case taking BCAAs for cals kind of moots the point and you may as well get them in with a good breakfast, because there's no benefit in doing fasted WOs over fed ones... and if the reason for fasted WOs is because you can't eat prior to exercising (personal pref) then there's no reason to have BCAAs pre-WO. Just get them in post-WO. Meal timing is largely irrelevant.
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Mio, Mio energy, or any generic knock offs. Some kind of cherry or citrus flavor usually covers bitterness well. Careful with the water content, I know some BCAAs aren't very soluble.

Thank you, something similar of that kind was what I was looking for, not very sure if they sell it in the Uk, but I will have a look around. (The powder is not very soluble, but shaking it quite well in a small bottle it does mix with the coffee "somehow").

Regarding my workouts, I am doing IF 16/8. My workout (Lifting) is very early in the morning, still several hours before my first meal, so nothing to do with 5:2 (or 500cal allowed) I take BCAAs before and after workout as recommended in Lean Gains (among other programs) to prevent muscle lose. I just didn't anticipate that "pure" BCAA could be soo difficult to swallow (although I did hear about it before ;) )
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I take the same approach some people do with liquor. Shoot the bad tasting stuff and chase with something. You can also get BCAAs in capsules, which probably cost a bit more, but don't have any taste!
    No, they are not more expensive (in fact I used to have them some time ago). It is just that the amount in the capsules is not enough.
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    A bit of a weird question, I know. I just got a biggg bag (500gr) of "unflavoured" BCAAs from myprotein. I thought to myself "If I mix it with coffee, how bad can it be?" Well, it IS THAT bad, actually is even worst, IS EVIL. Do they call that "unflavoured"?

Anyway, I guess I wouldn't be the only one buying that stuff and I also guess that I am not the only one working out fasted in the morning, so I am wondering if someone could have any idea of "anything" (with no calories) that could cover the "unflavoured" taste of the evil powder.

welocome to my hell LOL I bought a huge tub of unflavored and have been in misery since purchase. Nothing covers it at all its horrible
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi all,

Been lurking on here a while, thought I might be able to help a little on this thread as I had the exact same issue with the MyProtein BCAA's. I was mixing them with Green Tea Extract powder and believe me that took the offensiveness of the taste to a whole new level. My strategy was to mix thoroughly and then down as quickly as possible. Nevertheless I would invariably end up gagging and feeling sick to my stomach for some time after, it just couldn't go on.

I actually found two solutions to this issue, both of which I use now according to the exact circumstance. Firstly, to deal with the 1Kg bag of existing powder I purchased a capsule making machine and capsules from Amazon, each (size 00) capsule holds around 1000mg of BCAA powder, as I was taking around 5g pre-workout this worked out to be five capsules or so which is no issue to swallow one after the other with a small glass of water. Secondly, I went back to MyProtein and bought myself a bag of the iBCAA Berry flavour powder. Wow!! What a difference, this stuff is just delicious! :-) I now have to try and STOP myself drinking too much of it, if that''s possible? The i in the iBCAA stands for instantised which means that it mixes very easily with no residual lumps or slurry at the bottom of the glass.

So, that has been my experience with BCAA's, hope that you manage to work something out equally satisfactory!

Dom