Low iron and weightloss?

Options
Okay so I have been on this weightloss journey for about six months now and I was at 155 pounds
Now I am at 124.5 pounds. I decided to change my eating habits and excersise and just be more healthier
And plus iM going on a vacation to India amd want to look my best lol. Recently I found out that my diet lacks iron :/
And i still want to lose aboit ten pounds but my iron levels are low. Idont want to gain all my weight backs
On my maintainence when I start eating my favorite foods once again and not be on that diet mode. What shpuld I do now to make sure I NEVER gain my weight again ? This low iron in my body thing ruind it.

Replies

• jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Firstly, seeing your weight loss as a "diet" and then going back to your old ways is pretty much certain to put everything you've lost back on. I've been there before, and yoyo'd for years before finally realising that healthy eating and moderation is the only answer.

The low iron thing is a seperate issue, you can either introduce iron rich foods into what you'e already eating - things like red meat, shellfish, spinich, nuts, tofu etc. Or, if you're still worried about your levels then you can look into suppliments.

When you say you found out though, do you mean that you've just realised that you don't eat a lot of it, or have you been diagnosed as being low in iron by a DR? If it's by a DR, then they'll be best placed to suggest treatment of it, but if you're just trying to be generally healthier then you can't really beat better nutrition.
  • MinazB101
    Options
    I know I had low iron i have less energy feel really cold all the time etc etc I just thought this would hinder my weightloss and tge doc prescibed medicines :-)
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I recently had this problem! I started developing random bruises all over my legs.
    There are certain foods like red meats and liver that have high iron levels in them, however, I don't particularly like those types of foods. So, the doctor told me that I can take an over-the-counter iron supplement.
    You should have no worries of gaining weight this way, no calories. :)
    Hope I helped!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My daughter has very low iron (her red blood cells are abnormally small) and the doctor has her on Palafer. It's behind the counter, but not prescription. You can give that a try.