Vitamins-- do you take them?

Options
Hi all!

I'm curious to know if you take vitamins/ what vitamins you take. Because I have a bad reaction to doses of concentrated iron, I can't take a multi-vitamin. So I take my vitamins separately each day.

1000 mg vitamin C -- boosts immune system
5000 mcg Biotin -- improves the health of my hair and nails
4000 iu vitamin D3 -- desk job in winter means almost no access to sunlight, so this counters that deficiency. Assist bone health, skin and energy
1000 mcg vitamin B12 - helps with circulatory health, but mostly mood and energy
1 Women's Probiotic -- assists with healthy bacteria levels. Many women have issues *ahem* down there when they change diets/ start a new exercise program.

All these I got at CVS!
My energy levels and over all health has greatly improved since I started taking these supplements. My bouts with depression and lethargy have been greatly reduced!

What / how many vitamins do you take? Does it help?

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    I take vitamins to supplement my diet and for my overall health. I do not prescribe to the "You can get every single one of the nutrients that your body needs from your diet alone!" because I really and truly don't think you can. Yes, you can get some but I don't believe you can get all of your RDA through your food. With that said the main vitamins I take are:

Daily multi
    Omega 3
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin C
    Low dose aspirin
    Calcium
    CoQ10

Along with some other vitamins that support various body functions -- heart, liver, etc.

As far as "helping" while I do not feel as though I have more energy taking my vitamins I am sick a lot less and on the off chance that I do get sick it lasts only a couple of days.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't take any "extra" vitamins because I think you don't really need the doses that are in multi-vitamins and suplements. However, I do eat foods on purpose for the vitamins they contain. If you take them and can see an improvement in your health and well-being then continue. For me I feel pretty healthy and well without.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You can get all your micro nutrients from food, it's possible but not probable, so I take a multivitamin just in case. However OP, all of the vitamins you listed you can easily get from food. I'm wondering why you chose those? There are a lot of others you can take that you might be deficient in your diet, but not really those.

Also, I'm not an expert or trying to spout of facts or anything but isn't it true that some vitamins are not really beneficial without certain other vitamins to interactive with, like Calcium and Vitamin D. How do you know that your vitamin cocktail is correct? Just curious, I always wonder about supplements.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Yes I take them.

Multi-vit with NO iron (iron supplements cause horrible vomiting for me)
    Co-Q-10 (heart health, have had valve replacements in my heart)
    Hair, Skin & Nails formula
    Additional Biotin 5,000 mg
    Tums ES x 2 (for the calcium)
    Vit C
    B complex sublingual
    Fish oil
    Probiotic capsule several times a week
    Occasional Exercise Support vit with amino acids when I have a good workout (trying to finish bottle, will not replace)

All in capsule, liquid or chewable forms.
  • linszoh
    Options
    Hi Murphy!
    This is part of why I asked the question!

I have come up with these vitamins because I read of their benefits. And I've seen results for myself :) I'm interested to learn more about what you've said regarding other vitamins interacting and will look more into that, thanks!

Yes, I understand I can get them from my food-- but I take them so I don't have to worry so much about whether I've gotten my "dose" or not. My fiance and I eat healthy and I track calories, but I think I'd go insane if I tried to calculate how many vitamins I was getting as well.

For me, this is a good solution.

Thanks for the input!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin...figure it can't hurt...as well as 5,000 IU vitamin D3 because I'm deficient if I don't. I also take fish oil as well as plant sterols and milk thistle.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I only take a multivitamin, fish oil (helped lower my cholesterol with no change in diet) and vitamin D (recommended by a doctor due to deficiency). During the winter I take supplements like ColdFX or additional vitamin C if I'm feeling close to sickness/everyone around me is sick. I've tried hair/nail supplements but noticed no difference. I also like having vitamin E capsules on hand for dry skin...I open them up and rub the oil in.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and a few (about 6) fish oil capsules a day.

ETA: I'm not sure it helps, but it certainly hasn't done any harm...
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hi Murphy!
    This is part of why I asked the question!

I have come up with these vitamins because I read of their benefits. And I've seen results for myself :) I'm interested to learn more about what you've said regarding other vitamins interacting and will look more into that, thanks!

Yes, I understand I can get them from my food-- but I take them so I don't have to worry so much about whether I've gotten my "dose" or not. My fiance and I eat healthy and I track calories, but I think I'd go insane if I tried to calculate how many vitamins I was getting as well.

For me, this is a good solution.

Thanks for the input!

I agree, trying to track micro-nutrients is a beast! I've done it a few times with the juice's I make but it's just an approximation and I do it just to make sure I'm not deficient in anything major, but it's not an every day thing, so I take a multi :-)

Glad to hear the vitamins are working for you! I'm "pro vitamin" so I don't care where you get them from lol
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I take a multi because after a blood workup a couple years ago I learned I'm deficient in a few things, and rather than try to keep track of the vitamins I get in my food every day I decided I'd rather be lazy and just swallow one big pill that covers all of them. ;)
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    D3 & B12 - because my MD said so. :P
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I take a OTC prenatal (Walmart Equate with DHA). It's done wonders for my fingernails but I haven't noticed much of a difference with my hair.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    Fish Oil -- I rarely eat fish
    Ginger Root -- for motion sickness
    Biotin -- occasionally, it's low on my vitamin priority
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I feel vitamins help. Multivitamin, biotin, vitamin C, vitamin D3, flaxseed for Omega 3, good luck.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Womens one a day multivitamin
    1000mg Omega 3
    Milk Thistle
    Zinc
    Magnesium
    B100
    Refrigerated Probiotic
  • missrenahope
    missrenahope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I take RainbowLight Women's 1 Food Based Multivitamin. It works wonders for me. Amazon sells them cheapest, 20 bucks for 150 count.
  • archenemyz
    Options
    Hi all.

I'm here not to debate taking vitamins or not, but how to track them best with MFP.
    I do take them. They work for me.

But, I'm switching my regimen for a while to combat some hair loss issues. Between regular vitamins I take for daily health, workout supplements, and now this hair regimen, its a lot to take and keep track of. I do also juice regularly, so I am not really deficient in any areas, but vitamins/supplements of course can be useful to overcome certain ailments.

Other than creating an Google docs to keep track of what I am taking and why, I haven't found a good solution. I want something to remind me WHEN to take them, and how many. Some require food to take them, otherwise I'll get nauseous. My GNC daily vitamin pack is like 7 pills alone. Adding to this any other "individual vitamins" like iron, magnesium....that's a lot of pills to pop.

I do want to stay on top of it, but hoping someone has a good app as a solution or a way to do with with MFP.