How to eat less at night

Options
So I've been told a great way to lose weight is to have breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper - in other words, eat less as the day goes on.

THe thing is, I'm absolutely ravenous in the evening - after I eat dinner (which is fairly high in protein and fibre) I'm still very hungry and find myself snacking on junk food (about 300 to 400cals worth)

Any tips?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference. Plan for a larger dinner if that works for you and will help you get to your goal.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I always eat like a king, I bought a crown.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Go to bed
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So I've been told a great way to lose weight is to have breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper - in other words, eat less as the day goes on.

That's basically nonsense. It really is meaningless.

If you feel hungry later in the day/evening/night, then just adjust what you eat during the day so that you have additional Calories to eat at/after dinner.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Put duck tape over your mouth.. or gorilla tape..

i eat my biggest meal at night and it does not hinder my weight loss.

the damn cookies hinder my weight loss, but not eating them at night..

:drinker:
  • doodie1969
    doodie1969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have the same problem, I have found the best resolution to this is exercise..I eat an early dinner, exercise a couple hours later, and have a light snack after exercise..edamame I have found is a good snack for me.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Go to bed

^This
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat half or more of my daily calories after 8 p.m. and it's never affected my weight loss. I gained weight doing this, I lost weight doing this, I maintained the loss doing this. I just get hungrier at night so I like to eat at night.

But, I am not a king, so maybe that is the difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

This is total nonsense. Your body burns XXXX calories per day...it is pretty much irrelevant as to when you take those calorie in. Most of my calories come after 4 and up until I go to bed...my actual dinner is usually around 8:30 PM and it tends to be my largest meal of the day. I did not impede my weight loss at all, nor has it had any impact on my ability to maintain the last 9 months.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I implement several things already suggested. Larger dinner 2-3 hours before I plan to go to bed, and if I still have the munchies, I go for a walk instead. I'm rejuvenated at first from the walk, but it doesn't take long to feel worn out and want to sleep. I also avoid watching the TV Food Network right before bedtime!
  • Fodao
    Fodao Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry until I'm full. If I overindulge in something that's really caloric (such as the pint of froyo last Wednesday), I just have to spend another 30-60 minutes a night walking until the debt is paid off.

For me, a little more exercise is much more preferable to starving myself.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

THe thing is, I'm absolutely ravenous in the evening - after I eat dinner (which is fairly high in protein and fibre) I'm still very hungry and find myself snacking on junk food (about 300 to 400cals worth)

Any tips?

stop listening to "those" people.

I start eating around 10/11 AM and then eat more and more as the day goes on. Dinner and ice cream- for the win. I easily eat between 500-1000 calories at night.
  • erinbuberinxo
    Options
    Your body can't tell the time, it doesn't make a difference when you eat your calories :) I prefer to eat more for dinner because I get hungry before bed otherwise and tend to pick at food, whatever works best for you and your body!
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I eat half or more of my daily calories after 8 p.m. and it's never affected my weight loss. I gained weight doing this, I lost weight doing this, I maintained the loss doing this. I just get hungrier at night so I like to eat at night.

But, I am not a king, so maybe that is the difference.
    I do the same but i dont lose weight so i thought i should stop but after reading all this its more than likely something else thats stalling me. I do an intense hour class of boot camp 5 days a week and then have a snack when i get home then dinner much later and 55 calorie bud i also have some sort of low cal dessert ,i track all of this and it shocks me that i " snack" more than i eat at breakfast and lunch combined. I dont have much to lose at this point, 5 lbs or so, and i know thats the hardest. Im adding more exercise since last week and am going to up my protein too. Maybe that will kickstart it.
  • fificrazy
    Options

Any tips?

Breakfast like a pauper, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a king is more like it. Could even switch breakfast and lunch amounts around and have two main meals a day (one in the AM, one in the PM) with some good snacking in between. Makes loads more sense this way if you don't plan on snacking much up until bed because a big dinner will actually tide you over through the night!