TUNA

Options
2»

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar, a bit of red onion, and just a touch of olive oil. Got used to my grandmother just doing onion and vinegar with tonno for my grandfather. If you go for tuna packed in water, the olive oil is nice for the mouthfeel, because with just vinegar it still has a kinda dry mouthfeel.

However, I can eat it straight out of the can and be happy too
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Try a low-calorie dressing.

Edited: You might not mind light mayo in there. I use Hellman's light and enjoy it as much as I do the regular stuff.

If you've tried it in other stuff but not the tuna, you may find that the tuna flavor is strong enough to make the difference between regular mayo and light mayo insignificant.

Also, it might be a matter of "getting used" to light mayo, the way people acclimatize themselves from whole milk to 2%, then to 1%, then to skim. So maybe try half "full" may and half "light" for a while.
  • blanphere
    blanphere Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If it's going on a piece of gluten free bread - I like it to be a little on the less dry side. Don't deprive yourself - use the mayo and count it!

I also like avocado.

I usually get the single-serving pouch. I'm thinking that I can add it to a salad. It should mix with the dressing (usually a vinaigrette) and taste just fine.
  • bstevens1021
    Options
    Plain,

Or, dill pickle relish and mustard,

Or, salsa,

Or, plain.

Mayo is gross and plain Greek yogurt is barfable.

Minus the salsa, IA with every word. I usually mix in a tablespoon of dill relish and then add some Adobo or other seasoning.
  • krystalfay
    Options
    I use honey mustard.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar, a bit of red onion, and just a touch of olive oil. Got used to my grandmother just doing onion and vinegar with tonno for my grandfather. If you go for tuna packed in water, the olive oil is nice for the mouthfeel, because with just vinegar it still has a kinda dry mouthfeel.

This... This is exactly what I do except I use red wine vinegar instead of balsamic. I also sometimes either add chopped green olives or capers if I have them to use up. Different take on tuna but delish to this usual mayo lover! LOL
  • veruca25
    Options
    i HATE mayo
    i love spicy stuff
    i put spicy mustard in my tuna
    and i like crunch
    so ill throw in onions, celery, bell peppers, whatever i got
    but mustard in tuna is delicious, ive been eating it that way my entire life
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    use the mayo just count it in your daily total
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    my trainer says to use balsamic vinegar to taste and 1 tsp. olive oil. I usually leave out the oil. I mix in some cheese sometimes too. Or I use light mayo if I'm in the mood for it. (I'm not perfect heheh)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I hate mayo, but I don't like plain tuna. I buy the flavored packs. I like the sweet & spicy flavor. It's still kind of dry, but I can ignore it b/c it's tasty.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I used to mix it with olive oil and chili powder

I'll 2nd the olive oil!!! Been doing that for decades with my tuna. I've never tried chili powder, but that might be a fun kick to rev up the metabolism...
  • gmakty08
    gmakty08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I buy the 100 calorie tuna salad packages and eat it on top of cottage cheese with some grape tomatoes.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like it with cottage cheese, or ricotta, or salsa...
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I just use mayo and log it. I sometimes use tomato ketchup with a little bit of vinegar but I prefer mayo, never gonna give up my full fat mayo!
  • OliveRiver
    OliveRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options

That actually sounds really good. I'll have to try it next time I crave tuna.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I love mayo too but its soooo calorific for just one dollop.

I've converted to mixing with balsamic dressing and some mashed up avocado. Yum
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I tried replacing my mayo with some mashed up avocado--wasn't bad!

:laugh: Whenever I hear "wasn't bad" all I hear is "well, I didn't vomit or try and tear my tongue out of my mouth!"
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I usually make my tuna with diced tomatoes, onions, etc. The tomatoes usually moisten it up for me.

Also olive oil, sriracha, cholula.
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    I had a tuna sandwhich today actually. I put dijon mustard and jalapeno slices on my bread then add the tuna dry.