Don't trust those machine read outs!

Options
Kate_UK
Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
I just did a 10 minute experiment, I wore my HRM and also set my stationary bike to record calories burnt. My HRM said 50 the bike said 148. OMG! No wonder I wasn't loosing weight when I was doing a lot of work on the bike and eating my calories back. I dread to think how many calories I've eaten in the past beacuse I'd thought I'd burnt loads on the bike that day!

ETA I just went to log in it my exercise diary and MFP gave me 123 cals for the same workout.

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I just did a 10 minute experiment, I wore my HRM and also set my stationary bike to record calories burnt. My HRM said 50 the bike said 148. OMG! No wonder I wasn't loosing weight when I was doing a lot of work on the bike and eating my calories back. I dread to think how many calories I've eaten in the past beacuse I'd thought I'd burnt loads on the bike that day!

ETA I just went to log in it my exercise diary and MFP gave me 123 cals for the same workout.
    It is an eye opener that's for sure
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Some of the machines are more accurate BUT if the machine doesnt ask gender and age they are generally off by 30-50% -- Just as some heart rate monitors are better than others regarding the calories burned calculation. Mine underestimates my calories burned by about 30% -- I learned this after testing it against a bodybugg. I am going to invest in a bodybugg so I have a more accurate estimate.
  • bkmush
    bkmush Posts: 27
    Options
    wow! I don't have a HRM yet and it's not even close to being in the budget, I just go by what MFP says but I try to always be conservative and not eat back all of them (if i'm hungry I eat some - I'm all about balance) but I try to save a few for cushion....this is exactly why.

What a difference though - yikes. I know I don't even glance at the read out from any machine that doesn't even ask me to input my weight or age - like the bikes at my gym.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Machines are generally off by 10-15% but can vary as much as 30%. Weight bearing machines like treadmills and ellipticals are usually more accurate than bikes.

I haven't had any trouble losing weight going by the machine estimations. But, I've found I need to eat more than other people in order to stop my body from storing fat. So I don't worry about it and I usually eat all my exercise calories too.
  • BillyLightening
    Options
    Those machines LIE, grrr it makes me so mad and I don't understand why it's like that. Totally not cool at all. I ordered a heart rate monitor and it should arrive soon, so I'll compare. :grumble:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Just got my HRM, so I'm finding the same results. Friday, I did 20 minutes on the elliptical. Machine said 205 calories, HRM said 171. Not too bad, I guess. Today, I did P90. MFP calculated 421 for 49 minutes (circuit training), HRM said 350. I'm glad to finally be going by real numbers!