Weight Loss Showing?

Options
Hi! I started dieting and cutting calories about 2 months ago, Ive lost 14 lbs, but i don't notice much difference? I've asked some family members and their opinion is it will be more noticeable with 10 more pounds gone. I started at 244 and i am now 230. I have noticed small changes to my breasts and my waist line, but nothing noticeable on my flabby arms and legs. When will it start to show more?
Are there any exercises i should do to increase this?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Everyone shows progress differently. Keep in mind since you have a fair bit to lose, even a substantial change like 14 pounds may not show up very noticeably at first. Keep plugging away, and you'll get there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    for one thing I would recommend pictures....you look at yourself every single day and you are not likely to notice the slow incremental changes just by looking in the mirror. Also, they are slow and incremental changes and unfortunately, the more you have to lose the greater the loss has to be to see anything really dramatic.

When I went from 220 - 200 Lbs, the changes were really not terribly dramatic...I still had a great deal of fat and a big belly, etc. The only way I could tell anything was going on was that my clothes were a bit loser and I had to tighten my belt up a notch. From 200 - 190 the physical change was far more dramatic as I really started dropping belly weight and my face became much thinner. From 190 - 180 I look like a completely different person.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, but I lift weights and haven't lost much, not even in the inches area, but I take pics and I can see some differences in my body from that. I've been doing this for about 2 and a half months. My arms are smaller, that's where I've noticed it. You may just have to give it time.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I had to drop about 40 pounds before I could actually see the difference. Even though none of my clothes fit anymore, and everyone around me noticed, I still couldn't see it. When you see yourself in the mirror every day it takes a bit longer for the changes to appear. Just keep at it.

Rigger
  • TLynn0568
    Options
    I could feel a 20lb weight loss in my clothes, but it wasn't noticeable to others until around the 25lb mark, and at that I was asked, "Did you have a relaxing vacation? Change your hair? Something is different about you..." Yeah, 25lb off me is what's different!

Depending on how much you have to lose, I think it takes a good bit for it to be blatantly noticeable.

As others mentioned, pictures are really a good way to see the subtle changes. When I look in the mirror I still see myself as that size 16 person, not the size 6 I am today. Without pictures I'd still be in denial of my accomplishments!
  • Paradokx
    Paradokx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow your all so helpful! I do take pictures (just haven't put on the site yet) I took pictures when i started and i do notice a little difference! Your all very inspiring, and i will definitely keep at it. Thank you so much
  • healthieryear
    healthieryear Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It shows differently for everyone. I've lost almost 20lbs but I barely notice any difference. People who don't see me every day notice it more than I do.

It also might be that you are losing it in areas you aren't looking at. For instance, the first place I noticed at a loss of about 13lbs, was my blood pressure cuff could go WAY further around my arm. I couldn't see a difference in clothes at the time at all.

I'm really wishing I had taken lots of pictures now. A year and 2 months ago I lost like 30lbs, so now I'm down almost 50lbs and I don't really have any progress pictures. I have a lot more to go so I guess I'll just take pictures now otherwise another 30 down I will still be wishing I had taken pictures. You can also measure yourself as sometimes its easier to see progress that way.

Weight lifting and toning exercises might make it more noticeable for some people. It tightens up your body, my dad is really overweight but is really solid from exercising, you'd never guess he weighs as much as he does. Bonus: building muscle helps burn fat :)