soup

Looking for main dish 300 calorie per serving (please include the size ot the serving) soup recipes that freeze well. I like just about everything but bell peppers.

Thanks!

Replies

• Kezza220
    Kezza220 Posts: 16 Member
    I make a mexican soup - It's delicious
    1 x large can tinned tomatoes
    1 x packet of fajita or taco seasoning or own spice blend (as per preference)
    1 x can corn
    1 x finely diced chilli or Jalepanos
    1 x diced onion
    1 x cup uncooked wild rice
    8 x cups broth
    2 x diced chicken breasts
    1/2 bunch cilantro
    lime juice to taste
    Depending on manufacturer of ingredients. Approx 150-250 per 2.5 cup serving
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    I don't cook much but eat soup almost daily. I stick to the light progresso. They have quite a few soups that are 100 calories or less per serving and taste great. You can have the entire can for 200 calories. I am not a huge fan of all the sodium in it, but at this point I have to choose my foot intake battles wisely.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Spicy Beef Vegetable Soup
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Makes 12 servings

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    27 oz spaghetti sauce
    3 1/2 cups water
    16 oz. frozen mixed veggies
    10 oz. diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
    1 cup sliced celery
    1 tsp beef bouillon
    1 bay leaf
    salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste

To cook in Crockpot: Brown beef and onion. Season beef and onion mixture. Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low 8 hrs.

To cook stovetop: Brown beef and onion on medium –high heat. Season beef and onion mixture. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Nutrition Facts: Per Serving; Calories 157.55; Total Fat 5.75g; Saturated Fat 2.03g; Cholesterol 25.85mg; Sodium 472.95mg; Potassium 476.8mg; Total Carbohydrates 16.46g; Fiber 3.6g; Sugar 6.39g; Protein 10.35g.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Spinach Artichoke Soup
    Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Serves: 6

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 medium onion. chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
    1 (13.75 oz) can artichoke hearts in water, drained and quartered
    2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    2 Tbsp vermouth (or white wine)
    4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
    10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
    1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan (plus more for garnish)
    1 cup half and half (fat free works too)
    Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
    1/16 tsp ground nutmeg
    3 or 4 dashes hot sauce

Directions

Sauté onions and garlic in oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until onions are soft, about 2 minutes. Season chicken with salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Add chicken and artichokes to pot; sauté 2 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.

Deglaze pot with vermouth, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add the spinach and Parmesan, and stir until cheese melts. Turn off heat and add half and half. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving. Serve garnished with more Parmesan.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Sorry no recipe because I usually don't follow one when making soups but I find pretty much any soup is pretty low cal if you stick with broths and not creamy ones - preferably low sodium.

I usually just make hearty vegetable soups (mostly root veggies) with some type of lean protein - I avoid adding noodles but I do love gnocchi in my chicken soup - also I like to add spinach and kale near the end of cooking time for the extra nutrients they have. If I use lean beef for my protein I usually make a tomato based soup with canned diced or crushed tomatoes (very low cal).
  • harperjs
    harperjs Posts: 30 Member
    I make soup every weekend to take for lunch during the week. I try to mix it up between creamy soups (immersion blender for the win!) and more textured ones. My favorites this winter are this black bean and salsa soup (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-and-salsa-soup/) and taco soup:
    1lb - ground beef (lean lean lean!)
    1 med. chopped onion
    1 can I whole kernel corn, untrained
    1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
    1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 envelope taco seasoning
    1 pkg dry ranch dressing
    1 can tomato soup, undiluted
    2 cup water
    For topping (your choice):
    Tortilla chips
    cheese
    Sour cream
    Salsa
    Black olives, sliced

You can make it however hot or mild that you wanted.

Brown beef, drain
    Combine all ingredients in a large pot or crockpot. Simmer on low till heated through. Served with toppings of your choice.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    bump. I love me some soup :love:
  • grdad
    grdad Posts: 26 Member
    Beet Fennel Apple Soup (271 calories per serving, 2 bowls per serving)
    http://lifetastesgoodblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/beet-fennel-apple-soup/
  • grdad
    grdad Posts: 26 Member
    Cilantro-Lime Chicken Soup (74 calories per bowl - just skip or replace the peppers)
    http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/world-cuisine-2/cilantro-lime-chicken-soup/
  • javonjay76
    javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
    BUMP!

Thanks so much for the post! I love soup and I need more recipes for lunch!
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    I just posted an awesome (no rice) Jambalaya recipe. Depending on the meats you use, 200 to 235 calories per cup. We like it with no rice, over rice, or over quinoa. We do this so we can control the carb calories better.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Bump.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Bump. All the recipes sound great.
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    I made the Creamy chicken and wild rice soup from Emily Bites last week and couldn't get enough. Souper good! I think it was a little over 200 calories for a cup. Here's the link http://www.emilybites.com/2013/12/creamy-chicken-wild-rice-soup.html
  • mjsmamma
    mjsmamma Posts: 137 Member
    All these soups sound yummy! I don't follow recipes for the two soups I make the most but they are delish!

I always fall back on a good minestrone: beef broth, diced tomatoes, green beans, carrots, kale, kidney beans, onions, garlic, a small amount of pasta, and parmesan at the end.

Another one I make a lot is a posole:

Cook an entire chicken down in carrots, celery and onion and water to cover. Cool. Take out all skin and bones. Add chicken bouliion and salt to taste.
    Meanwhile, sauté 3 or 4 red bell peppers. Then add to pot with chicken. Add in one large can of diced tomatoes, a couple of diced chipotle peppers (to your level of heat) 2 cans of hominy. Simmer to let all flavors meld. When I serve I garnish with cilantro, low fat greek yogurt and crushed baked tostitos. I think I may have to make this tonight!
  • madonetwo
    madonetwo Posts: 24 Member
    bump
  • Jaynehr
    Jaynehr Posts: 167 Member
    bump
  • bethanp
    bethanp Posts: 72 Member
    I have a whole board on Pintrest dedicated to soup recipes. I kinda love soup. Here's a recent favorite:

http://iowagirleats.com/2012/01/03/you-need-to-make-this-soup/

Came out to about 350 calories a serving but it all depends on what type of marinara sauce you use. I took her suggestion and used a 4 cheese sauce and the flavor really stands out in the soup.
  • bethkeysear
    bethkeysear Posts: 28 Member
    EMILY BITES !!!!! LOVE!
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Just posted Dr. Perricones Lentil and Turkey Sausage Soup. I absolutely have no clue what the serving size is but I do know its fairly large considering I use 10 cups or water or 10 cups homemade veggie stock. Its freakin fantastic though.

Ingredients:

Servings:

Units: US | Metric

2 cups lentils
    8 -10 cups vegetable broth or 8 -10 cups water
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 celery ribs, chopped
    1 lb all-natural turkey sausage (or ground turkey) or 1 lb chicken sausage (or ground turkey)
    2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (or 1 can, 15 ounces chopped or crushed tomatoes)
    1 teaspoon turmeric (to taste)
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
    sea salt, to taste
    plain yogurt, for garnish
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (flat leaved, if available)

Directions:

Wash and pick over the lentils (to make sure there are no stones) and bring to a boil in the broth or water in a large soup pot. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté the garlic, onion, celery, and sausage for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes.
    Add the vegetable-sausage mixture and seasonings to the lentils. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt and chopped parsley for garnish.

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/rich-lentil-and-turkey-sausage-soup-273733?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/recipe/rich-lentil-and-turkey-sausage-soup-273733?oc=linkback</a&gt;