Is the Ideal weight over exaggerated?

Options
2»

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You can be any weight you feel satisfied with but if you're having chest pains when you exert yourself, please see a doctor soon. My husband developed this and it turned out to be heart disease for which he needed treatment or else he could have gone on to have a heart attack.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you were eating way too little and lost a lot of muscle, rather than fat. I'm guessing your exercise routine was all cardio.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think "ideal weight" is more of a concept than an actual ideal weight for someone's of a certain age and height. We all look different even if at the same weight.

I agree. My friend weighs 5 lbs less than I do but is 3-4 sizes bigger than I am. We are the same height but I'm built much stockier than she is so I "wear" the extra weight more evenly. I think what's most important is how you feel.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I'll be satisfied at 145-150lbs for my 5'4" frame. Anything less than that I don't feel will look good or feel good.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Problem is too much exercise is giving me chest pains, but yeah I only need to concentrate in one area now, and that's my belly, losing anymore weight is not the answer.

I would discuss this chest pain with your physician. It could be an early sign of a problem.

Concentrating exercise on your belly, won't necessarily make you lose fat in your belly. Your body will take energy from whatever source it chooses.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!!!
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you have chest pain when you excersize, please see a doctor and get it checked out.
  • viviyueyue
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!
    I think as long as you're healthy, "ideal weight" doesn't really matter all that much. Instead of focusing on how much you weight, it's more important to sculpt the areas you're not satisfied with by working out (like sit-ups if you're unhappy with your abs.) But yes, like the others say, if exercising give you chest pain then check with your doctor first! :)
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I booked an appointment with my doctor tomorrow concerning my chest pains.

But its now 2 days in I upped my caloire count, and strangely today I feel much better, maybe my body beginning to adjust to its new weight, and now I can actually enjoy it.

And I'm no longer so interested in the number on the scale, it''s just now I concentrate in stayin healthy, it's nice i can now eat more.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Always go by what your body looks like and how you feel. Don't worry about the numbers!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I guess it's different for everyone. My starting weight was at the upper end of the healthy range. That weight didn't work for me. I looked and felt like a slug. Now I'm down at the lower end of the healthy range and I feel and look pretty awesome (in my opinion). Plus, my cholesterol and blood pressure magically dropped with my weight. So just go for the weight that makes you look and feel the best. If that's a few pounds over the "ideal" weight, then so be it. :drinker: