P90X3 and no weight loss

Options
I just finished week 3 of P90X3 and love it so far. Get on the scale and 0 weight loss, I'm a big guy (6'7" and 300lbs) so I figured I would lose a little. I'm losing inches, little over 2 off waist so far. I wear a bodymedia arm band and here is my average over 21 days.

Average
Calories burned per day 3677
Calories Consumed 2022
Calorie Balance (Deficit) 1655

Been doing a low carb diet also.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If you lost inches but not weight that should be telling you all you need. You are likely gaining muscle and retaining some water but losing inches.

I would weigh your food though like poster above me suggest if your not doing so already. Also, make sure you are getting adequate protein so that your not risking muscle loss in the long run.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3 of P90X3....
    Calorie Balance (Deficit) 1655

If that deficit were real, you would be shedding pounds so fast people would think you're sick. There is something very wrong with either your calorie counting or your burn estimation.

Looking at your diary from yesterday, I'd bet dollars to donuts you're missing a solid 1000 calories from that one buffet meal alone.
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I'm starting week 4 of T25. I've actually gained ~4 lbs, & while I'm (stupidly) not measuring inches, I'm definitely losing them. Are you seeing results that way?
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Don't even sweat this.

If you are losing inches, then your fine...

The weight is going to come off eventually. Assuming you were sedentary before, your probably getting some nice beginner gains in muscle while at the same time dropping some fat. Eventually the weight will go down as well.

Keep up the good work!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Water retention in your muscles to repair. You may also be eating much more than you think you are, do you weigh all solids you consume and measure liquids? If not you may be over consuming by 10-50%.

That said, why are you aiming for such a large deficit?
    How much weight are you trying to lose in total?

if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm suspicious that you are actually burning 3677 calories per day. Your calculator may not be accurate. If you've lost inches then you are losing fat. You are probably just retaining water because of the new muscle use and repair. Also if you are doing P90x and burning that high of calories I would say this is a bad time for a low carb diet. I don't how low you are going but if you are doing a daily intense workout like that you need sufficient carbs.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I'm suspicious that you are actually burning 3677 calories per day. Your calculator may not be accurate If you've lost inches then you are losing fat. You are probably just retaining water because of the new muscle use and repair. Also if you are doing P90x and burning that high of calories I would say this is a bad time for a low carb diet. I don't how low you are going but if you are doing a daily intense workout like that you need sufficient carbs.

at 6'7" 300Lbs, a good 2500-2800 would be BMR alone, with no exercise at all.
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    The first 4 weeks of a program are generally considered an adjustment period. Most people lose very little, if any, weight during this period. In fact, Tony Horton just did a video about this very subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs_xUxSMrOM&feature=share&list=PLPtixC_0nF1ABBE8YRcH25a3zwPws7cbJ&index=5

I wouldn't be too concerned with a lack of results just yet. But I would make sure you're sticking with the meal plan and wearing a HRM to get an accurate reading of your burn for each workout.

You will start seeing huge results in block 2, as long as you watch your nutrition and do your workouts :smile:
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brapril714
    Options
    I use a weight scale for most meals at home. When eating out, I use what's in MFP. I always try to overestimate when going out. I'm going to measure and weigh every single thing this week, see if that's it. I'm not discouraged at all, just trying to figure it out. Loving the program.
  • MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I also wear a bodymedia armband and even though I have it set to recognize that my arm is the dominant (even though it's not), it's still high. You can adjust your METs on the website to increase your threshold. After that, just estimate that it's probably still over-calculating for you (I know mine does by about 200-300 calories). It's like MFP and your exercise calories: know that it overestimates and eat back only a portion. The armband is great, but it's not perfect.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 (I think) and I have seen consistent weight loss each week, but that is completely due to my diet and keeping a calorie deficit. Haven't seen much movement in terms of measurements.
  • brapril714
    Options
    HRM VS body media arm band. While doing these workout my HRM with chest strap shows over 600 calories burned while arm band shows 300. Why such a difference?
  • erickirb
    Options
    HRM VS body media arm band. While doing these workout my HRM with chest strap shows over 600 calories burned while arm band shows 300. Why such a difference?

The HRM is assuming your HR is elevated due to steady state cardio so will over estimate the burn as you HR is elevated for different physiological reasons, and thus the calculation in the HRM will be incorrect.
  • MrBryGuy
    MrBryGuy Posts: 115
    Options
    I haven't done p90x3, but I HAVE done p90x and my experience was that I didn't notice anything visually until 7 weeks in. I new I was making progress and losing weight, because I weighed in once a week and the workouts were getting easier. But i didn't really SEE the difference till about that time. So keep going, don't discouraged and just keep pushing play. I don't know what Tony's catch-phrases are in this series but my favorite from the original is "Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was your body." :)
  • brapril714
    Options

The HRM is assuming your HR is elevated due to steady state cardio so will over estimate the burn as you HR is elevated for different physiological reasons, and thus the calculation in the HRM will be incorrect.

Thanks for that explanation. I've seen people using HRM for yoga and posting very high numbers, guess that's the same reason also.

Day 22 is isometrics today.
  • Busymomof003
    Busymomof003 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm day three of Week 5- and I just started seeing results(weight loss) this week. I didn't even see much of a change with measurements the first month, but my clothes are fitting better, I can tell. It's just going to take some time. I did have to adjust my calories- at one point I was up 4-5 pounds and freaked out. I'm sure most of it was water... but I didn't want to gain that much and 'undo' my previous work. The program says I should eat 2100, I was eating 1800-2000. Now I've switched it down to 1600-1800... and I'm seeing some weight loss. But then, maybe I would have any way at week 5. Who knows?!
  • brapril714
    Options
    I think I may have a bad scale also. Got to go find a different one to test out. I've never in my life had a scale show the same exact, to the tenth of a pound, weight 2 days in a row. I'm on day 7 of the exact same thing.
  • brapril714
    Options
    Guess they are right on losing weight the recovery / adaptive week. 6lbs so far in the last 2 days.