vitamines and such ?

Options
Hi everyone! :)

I was wondering what vitamines and minerals I should take to improve my weight loss, gain muscles (I workout in strength training 3 times a week), and promote health in general ?

I do take Omega 3-6-9. And I was taking "post-parthum" multi-vitamines (since I was breastfeeding my child), but its over now... Maybe I should take regular multi-vitamines ? Or only calcium ? or what else ???

Any suggestions welcome! :)

Replies

• randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So I was in the middle of what I considered to be a really hilarious, long, drawn out response when my computer decides to refresh my page and delete everything so this one will be somewhat shorter and sweeter.

Supplement diet with vitamins as needed (not with multi-vitamins).
    Try to get majority of vitamins from your diet.
    Vitamins are not monitored by any regulatory agency so quality differs drastically between brands and type of vitamin.
    Women normally need: Vitamin D, E, and Calcium. Sometimes Magnesium (although that's more often for men.)
    For healthy heart: Garlic, fish oils, aspirin, nitric acid.
    For muscle growth: protein, SLEEP, potassium,
    For weight loss: water, fiber, flax, (crack, Ritalin, Adderall, cigarettes, other stimulants and such that are rather unhealthy).

You can also keep taking the post natal vitamins. They can help to prevent hair loss and the folic acid is always a nice boon to general health.

Anway hope that helps a little.
  • wandawoman
    wandawoman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good Morning:

I am not a Doctor - but I play one at home! Ha! I will share with you what I have been taking and my source of information.

I have been taking a good multi vitamin and fish oil for a year now. I started the supplement CLA in September. My trainer had mentioned to me that there was some convincing research that CLA (Conjugated Lineolic Acid) was an aid in weight loss. It is supposed to promote lean muscle mass (you are exercising right?) and keep the fat cells from filling back up with fat.

I am a diabetic and I am on two meds for that disease. I checked with my Doc and she said that the CLA has some research that indicates it can cause insulin resistance (not what I need). She suggested that I take it when I am not taking my Diabetes meds.

I was plateauing at 340 for the longest time (Jun 2010 - Oct 2010). This morning I got on the scale and I was 325! Wa Hoo! Can I say it is the CLA ? Not sure. But I will continue to take it as my Doctor suggested - not at the same time as my Diabetes meds.

I order my supplements and vitamins from a company called Health Freedom Nutrition in Reno Nevada. I order everything on line. I line in Florida and I ALWAYS get me shipments within three days - I do not pay for expedited shipping. (http://www.hfn-usa.com/)

One of the reasons I was drawn to HFN is that their focus is to make small batches of supplements more frequently. That way we get really fresh stuff.

They also have lots of good information on their website and through SMART publications.

One final plus - terrific prices and permanent discounts are earned as you purchase.

I hope that my experience can help you find the right supplements for your needs.

Wandawoman

PS - I have been taking Hair & Nails supplement (also from HFN) for about 6 months now. My hair was falling out - I think because of menopause. Wow - you should see all of the new hair growth. It has really worked for me. My nails have never been a problem so I cannot say they are improved.
  • randyv99
    Options
    PS - I have been taking Hair & Nails supplement (also from HFN) for about 6 months now. My hair was falling out - I think because of menopause. Wow - you should see all of the new hair growth. It has really worked for me. My nails have never been a problem so I cannot say they are improved.

What's it called and what's it have. The hair and nail stuff because my sister's been looking for something.
  • wandawoman
    Options
    So Funny Randy - I was busy typing away as your reply was posting. I like how you mentioned the hair loss as did I! My opinion on food is that unless you grow it yourself, or pick it yourself at the farm, most of what we get in the grocery store is pretty empty nutrition wise. - multi vitamins work for me.

I cannot stress the importance of exercise enough. I am a reformed couch potato-I now "kick it"on the elliptical 28 minutes five days a week. Not bad for a really big woman!

It is really true - what the doc has been telling me all along. Eat right and exercise. I feel soooooo much better!
  • randyv99
    Options
    So Funny Randy - I was busy typing away as your reply was posting. I like how you mentioned the hair loss as did I! My opinion on food is that unless you grow it yourself, or pick it yourself at the farm, most of what we get in the grocery store is pretty empty nutrition wise. - multi vitamins work for me.

I cannot stress the importance of exercise enough. I am a reformed couch potato-I now "kick it"on the elliptical 28 minutes five days a week. Not bad for a really big woman!

It is really true - what the doc has been telling me all along. Eat right and exercise. I feel soooooo much better!

Yeah I was like funny how she pointed out the place where she gets it from and why she likes them! We're soo in sync, we should be friends! But yeah, most of what is available (and affordable) in the grocery store is junk. LOTS of people really need multivitamins but plenty of people don't. But just like doctors prescribe broad spectrum antibiotics just to be on the safe side, multivitamins won't hurt.

And exercising makes me feel soo much happier than it used to. Especially when I know I have a "great job" to look forward to when I post on this site.
  • Janice_Bell
    Options
    This is something that I have also been starting to look into a lot.
    I had no idea that I wasn't getting enough of the essential vitamins that I need until I started tracking my food in MFP.
    I as astonished that every day I am under 50% of my daily recommended calcium intake and will be ordering some supplements shortly. This made me think about other vitamins that might benefit my health. I plan on getting some vitamin D as well.

From what I have researched so far is that every company makes very different vitamins. I think I will buy them individually and not as a multi-vitamin.

Also, I'm considering cod liver oil which is great for skin and hair!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Here is my "list":

CLA
    GLA (amma linolenic acid )
    Multi-Vitamin for Women
    Fish Oil
    B-Complex
    Co-Q10 (absolutely vital to your mitochondria, allowing them to convert carbs and fats into fuel)
    Adrenal Fatigue Support
    Magnesium at Bedtime
    Flax Seed for Fiber

The Omega's are great for Hair and Nails, so is H3( a procaine formulation)

RX: Thyroid, Bio-identical Progesterone and Testosterone
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    My list as I'm trying to treat some loose skin issues is.

Niacin 500mg
    Opti-men multi vitamin
    Fish-oil
    Vitamin C 1000mg
    Vitamin E 400mg
    Methylsulphonylmethane or aka MSM 1000mg
    Glutamine 1000mg

Yes its a lot of pills =/
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    I take the following daily:

Calcium Citrate (make sure you know what kind of calcium you're taking!)
    Multi Vitamin for bariatric patients
    D3
    B12
    Biotin (for hair & nails - I get an extra jolt of thiamin from my multi)

All are from Opurity and are chewable. I LOVE them!
    Opurity are the same folks that make Unjury protien if you're familiar. If not, google them & try some sample packs. I love their protein.
  • wandawoman
    Options
    It is called Hair and Nails from Health Freedom Nutrition. It has PABA and Biotin in it (amongst other things). http://www.hfn-usa.com/product/hair-and-nails-special/s

Here is the info from the web site.

Ingredient: Vitamin C (ascorbic acid/ascorbyl palmitate), Biotin, Bio Active Sulfer Proprietary Blend(N-aceytal cysteine, MSM, Cystein, Insitol, PABA, Bio Available Silica Blend (Bamboo Extract, Sodium metasilicate, silicon dioxide)

Other Ingredients: Gelatin capsule.

Q: What makes Hair & Nails unique?
    A: By including the Bio Active Sulfur Blend and the Bio Available Silica Blend, including the special soluble form of silica, we are ensuring that the product will be absorbed by the user and therefore quite effective. Most competitive products only contain poorly absorbed forms of silica which don't do the end user much good at all.

Q: Who should use Hair & Nails?
    A: Hair & Nails is for anyone who would like to have healthier hair and nails and who would like them to grow healthier and faster.

Q: Will Hair & Nails help me re-grow lost hair?
    A: It is not designed to re-grow lost hair, however it may help slow hair loss with consistent, daily usage.

The Scientific Secret to Healthy, Shiny Hair and Nails Revealed
    Write your own review

Dale Fowkes, CEO
    Health Freedom Nutrition

What's The Price of Beauty?

It's less than you might think!

They say having your health is priceless, and I've long believed that. But what price can you put on beauty?

How about $14.95?

That's the cost of our newest beauty-from-the-inside-out product, Hair & Nails.

This innovative formula contains two new proprietary blends scientifically chosen for supreme absorbability and functionality to provide your hair and nails with the nourishment they need.

Bio-Available Silica Blend includes a highly soluble form of healthy hair and nail supporting silica.

Bio-Active Sulfur Blend includes active forms of the must-have nutrients MSM, NAC and cysteine.

If you want to enjoy shiny, healthy, hair and nails, then Hair & Nails is the product for you. And at only $14.95, I think it clearly answers the question: What's the price of beauty?

Dale Fowkes, Health Freedom Nutrition CEO, has more than 25 years of experience in the health supplement industry. You can read more about Dale's journey in the About Us section of the website.