How to go for slim to slimmer?

Options
I'm fine on the scale - 52 kgs at 5"1, almost 20 years old. I look fine in normal every day clothes and if you saw me in the street you wouldn't think anything of it. But once I undress, I have these problem areas which just doesn't correspond to how I look in normal every day clothes - specifically arms and tummy. I don't know how to get rid of this extra fat.

I read that if I eat a big calorie deficit and exercise a lot, my body would cling on to every calorie with its dear life and actually make me put on weight, appearing bigger. And I also read that I shouldn't be doing cardio.

What should I do to lose these inches? I want to look good in a bikini for the summer!

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    What are your exercise activities?

I'd suggest a weight routine.... since a pound of muscle is more compact than a pound of fat, you could weigh the same but be much more compact if you developed your muscles.
  • rk_19
    rk_19 Posts: 92
    Options
    I did weights for a while and saw no change at all. So now I do cardio again - the treadmill. But then again, I read that I'm not supposed to be doing that...
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    you are almost exactly the same size i am, i am your height and i weigh 120---in clothes, yes REALLY GREAT--but just weighing 110 or 120 isn't the entire issue........

on this forum--you will probably be advised to lift and lift heavy and that the muscle you create will help you to burn fat.

good luck
  • rk_19
    Options
    Do you do that?
  • rk_19
    Options
    And thank you!
  • rk_19
    Options
    bump
  • rk_19
    Options
    bummmmpp
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Eat at TDEE, lift heavy weights. That's what I'm doing now, seeing results after a few months :)
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rk_19
    Options
    Thanks! How many months?
  • fushigi1988
    Options
    Thanks! How many months?

Was that directed at me? I had already started working out a bit, but really started with a program around the end of November, early December or so. Now I try to hit the gym 3x a week, usually 30-45 minutes of weights, and 2-3x a week cardio, mostly running at the moment.
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've always been pretty slender (5'4'', I assume around 120lbs since I haven't weighed myself in years...) but my tummy has always been my problem area. With clothes on, I look skinny. Real skinny. I've got tiny arms, thigh gap, and with a shirt on you can't see my dreaded "pooch" but once the clothes are off... augh.

I try to keep my calories around 1200-1300. I started the 30 Day Shred on January 16th. I literally just started seeing results a couple days ago. I credit it to the 30DS, making a dietary effort to keep bloating down, shedding water weight (by drinking more water), and using cocoa butter on the area every day to help with the skin elasticity. I'm going to keep it up and see where it leads.

Good luck!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I did weights for a while and saw no change at all. So now I do cardio again - the treadmill. But then again, I read that I'm not supposed to be doing that...

What is "a while"? Because it does take time and commitment. Basically, what you're really unhappy about is not your weight, it's your body fat %, which really won't change with diet and cardio. The only way to change that is by putting on lean mass, aka heavy weight lifting or some similar type resistance workout. But seriously, it takes a while, it won't happen overnight, you just gotta commit and learn to look at all the other benefits- there are lots of them.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Get thee to a gym and start lifting heavy weights. It's the only way to keep eating reasonable calorie numbers and still tighten up and slim down everywhere.

(HEAVY weights, not those stupid pink 5 pounders.) You should be lifting as much as you can for 8-12 repetitions, 3-4 sets. Look up Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • rk_19
    Options
    How many months would this take, typically, if I maintained a high protein diet and weight trained 3 time a week and did Pilates twice a week? I'm not asking because I'm impatient, I just want a rough estimate since I'm gonna be at the beach this summer in Europe!!
  • rk_19
    Options
    Bump
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    How many months would this take, typically, if I maintained a high protein diet and weight trained 3 time a week and did Pilates twice a week? I'm not asking because I'm impatient, I just want a rough estimate since I'm gonna be at the beach this summer in Europe!!

Well, there's not really a good answer to this. I mean, it depends on where you're at now, and what your goal is. I would say, though, that the most successful people are probably ones who aren't necessarily looking at an end goal. Instead, I think many would say that's it's always a work in progress, with a daily goal of pushing yourself and getting a little better. I find it easier to stay motivated this way, because I can see myself improving in small ways all the time. I don't think there will come a day where I say "Well, I've done all I can do, time to call it quits."
  • fushigi1988
    Options
    You want a bikini ready body? Simply put on a bikini, done!