exercising only at home?

Options
Hi all! I'm fairly new here and still finding my way. I'm 21 down in 5 weeks, so I must be doing something right. Has anyone lost significant weight by calorie counting and exercising on their own at home only or is the gym a must???

Replies

• KatherinesRiver
    Options
    I joined a gym. Good motivation, friendly people. I like it despite the fact that I take up more space than most on the benches. That is changing.:smooched:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home, but then I have some gym equipment. Depending on your goals it might be easier with access to some equipment, but if your goal is just to lose weight then yes you absolutely can do it at home
  • dying_2b_skin3
    Options
    i only exorcize at home but i had a bike donated to me and purchased a treadmill for £80 on fb and got a kettle bell and small weights in sales. there are loads of online exorcize videos that use no equipment or items found around the house like bottled water or the first step on the stairs. good luck =)
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost significant weight yet, but I'm down 16 and mostly exercised at home. (I went to the gym once... ha). There are tons of great free videos (YouTube, Fitness Blender, Jessica Smith). I also have my own treadmill and weights. But I live in Texas so walking outdoors is pretty feasible too.

I've lost 16 lbs with nothing but at home exercising. :)
  • rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership. I only went for classes, and they quickly got far too crowded (Les Mills BodyCombat - and I couldn't kick or punch without getting someone in the head). Now, when I work out, I go night running.
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Ive had gym memberships in the past but usually end up cancelling them. I have a hard time getting there. For me it is easier to make time to workout in my home and really I enjoy it more too. When the weather is nice I like to get outside for a bike ride or walk but my main workouts are done in my living room. As long as you stick with it and eat well there is no need for a gym membership. Good luck on reaching your goals :)
  • PMZee
    PMZee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have never belonged to a gym. There are lots of DVDs that use minimal equipment or just your bodyweight. Check out totalfitnessdvds.com or collagevideo.com for some ideas.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I lost over 90 lbs exercising only at home and outside (walking/running)and am continuing to maintain doing the same. I do have a very good quality elliptical that I purchased at Costco. I also do a variety of wii fit and wii active exercises. I have some light weights up to 10 lbs that I use a few times a week. Basically I switch it up daily, but it's all at home.

For me, I know I would not go to a gym every day. But I can jump on the elliptical and do a half hour + with out having to get dressed and drive anywhere. Or do 30-60 min. of yoga or strength training. BUT this is what works for me. I know some people need and like to go to the gym. Basically do what works for you! Keep up the GREAT work! :D
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you exercise, only that you do it.

What do you enjoy?
  • breemarie87
    Options
    I have been able to lose 23 pounds since August 5, 2013 with calorie counting and exercising at home. I've not always been faithful and from Nov-Jan my goal was to purely maintain the weight i'd lost due to stress etc....

If you're dedicated and don't cheat, it's very possible to lose weight using MFP and doing exercising at home. No need to pay $$ for a gym membership.

Also, be wary of losing weight too quickly as I've learned from my own past that if it's lost quickly it can come back faster and more weight can come on than every before. Just be careful, talk with your doctor about your calorie limit plan and exercise routine.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    You can lose all the weight you want working out at home. You do not need a gym membership. :smile:
  • apercanis
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you exercise, really. As long as you're following calorie deficit and getting the exercise you need for your daily needs then I don't see the problem. I find gyms to be intimidating and unwelcoming in my experience, plus the memberships aren't worth it since you don't have to join one in order to get healthier and fit, y'know? (Not insulting those who do have memberships.) I guess if you're a sociable person and enjoy the setting then joining a gym could be the right thing for you.

I agree with the others, there are many online sources where you can find workouts for free and not have to leave the comfort of your own home. FitnessBlender is one of my favorite sites for workout videos.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Hi, Congrats on your weight loss. I exercise from home with work out DVD s. Also work in other activities like Wii sports and Just Dance on the Xbox (which is hilarious when my daughter and I watch the video playback) some extra calories burned when we laugh at our video mash up.
  • kuroneko1082
    kuroneko1082 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I guess I would have to say that if you have the space to workout at home, then it is a great option. Unfortunately, I don't have enough room in my house to workout at home. Which honestly is probably a good thing for me since I would just sit around on my computer all day if I wasn't going out to the gym 6 days a week. It can be expensive to have a gym membership, yes, but I found Planet Fitness which is, by far, the cheapest gym membership I have found yet. And the other perk for me to working out at the gym is that I get access to their hydromassage beds. Those things are god-sends for those of us with lots of muscle pain. I have a very bad back and using the hydromassage bed before my workout has really helped so that I don't end up hurting myself. It really helps loosen up my muscles even better than just stretching so I have less risk of tearing something. I will probably switch to doing some at home stuff as it warms up enough outside for me to pick up rollerblading again though. Basically, its one of those "to each, their own" kind of things. Whatever works best for your body, your pocketbook and your motivation. Keep up the good work!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I work out at home but I have the equipment to do so. Bench, barbell, weights, squat rack, dumbbells, and a pull-up bar.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I work out at home for the sake of time. It's much easier to just go downstairs and hop on my stationary bike than to go to the gym. I also have hand weights, stretch bands, exercise ball and videos.

The trick is to find something you can do regularly no matter where you do it.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly a success story yet, but I will be. And it will be by eating well and exercising at home.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The key is to find an exercise program that YOU WILL DO.

Some people find that joining a gym helps motivate them because they have to schedule it. Others find it a hassle to go to the gym so they quit working out.

Some people are able to work in daily exercises at home on their own, or with a workout DVD or youtube video, or other home system. Some people will always find something better to do at home (I am likely to eat those leftovers instead of exercise!) so they don't do it that much.

Some people join a MeetUp group that regularly gets together. Some people join an outdoor bootcamp-type workout. Some people might start engaging in outdoor activities like rock climbing or even walking around museums. Come visit Las Vegas and walk up and down the famous Las Vegas Strip. (Leave your money here when you go home....)

Figure out what YOU WILL DO. Then do that. Whether it's walking, aerobics, strength training, chopping down trees, playing basketball, going to class, hiring a personal trainer, or something else, it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that, as the Nike commercials say, you just do it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've done it all at home. I run outside and have dumbbells, a medicine ball, & kettlebells that I've collected over time. Started with workout DVDs, then found apps and online things that I enjoy. And MFP of course.

I've lost fat and inches, dropped around 25-30lbs, and gone from a size 12 to a 4. Strength, endurance and flexibility all vastly improved.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Yes 138pds by working out only at home and at the time didnt even count calories! Good luck! You can do it!