gained 10 pounds in 4 days??!

Options
I binged 3 days in a row and over those 3 days I probably had 7000 calories (disgusting I know) my weight shot up to 125. Then today I ate dinner and drank 2L water and now I'm at 128, I'm normally 118 and I feel so awful and I'm so scared. I feel like since I don't usually eat a lot that most of it is going to be fat and I'm going to be stuck at 125. Any advice?

**** To me, yes this is a binge. I ate until I was far past uncomfortable. I posted this below but i'll put it up here also "Sorry I didn't mean to get everyone so upset. For me this was a binge. Pizza,cupcakes,breads,bowls of cereal, brownies, cookies,crackers,pretzels, peanut butter, Nutella, chicken, heavy soups, cheese, hot chocolate and popcorn. Im going to say that right now I am not in a very good place and I hope this didn't come off as rude or 'attention seeking'. I was just asking for advice, thank you all very much for the answers I really appreciate it."

Replies

• shaqueen15
    shaqueen15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Relax and drink a lot of water. Most of that weight is probably just water weight - if you ate a lot of "junk" you probably ate a lot of sodium. It would be very unlikely that you gained 10lbs of fat in just 4 days. :flowerforyou:
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    To gain 10 pounds, you would have had to eat 35,000 calories above your maintenance calorie amount. What you're experiencing is mainly water weight and undigested food. Just eat normally for the next week or so before weighing yourself again, and your scale weight should go back to normal.
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Not if you work out and stop eating so much... why are you even asking this question..
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared.

Start over tomorrow, start counting again and get back at it. A few bad days aren't going to ruin anything. I would venture to guess the majority of that weight is water and your body will even it off again.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Advice, let's see, visit a rest room when the need arises and move on with life. 7000 calories over three days is normal eating for most people, you're holding water and waste weight, that's it.

You should probably speak to someone about your relationship with food and apparent need for attention.

Rigger
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    7000 calories in 3 days means an average of about 2334 calories a day which is probably your maintenance or slightly above. Nowhere near enough food to make you gain 7 pounds.

Water retention, scale fluctuation at different moments of the day etc. Also, if you think that's a binge, i have a feeling you're most likely eating very little usually. Which is what leads you to "binge".
  • dying_2b_skin3
    Options
    Not if you work out and stop eating so much... why are you even asking this question..

And again the positive and joyful messages on this site fill me with warmth and hope! 0.o GET A HART no scrap that GET A BRAIN binge eating is not something you stop you crack head!!

My positive input:
    Hey now listen, so what you gained 10lb (which i agree with above posts is more than likely mostly water weight) sit down and write exactly how you feel rite now. fold the paper up and put it in a safe rememberable place. now as of this second your in control. when ever you feel like next binging go to that note first. I have a book where i store positive pictures and letters to myself after past binges. when ever i feel like the world is against me and i want to eat i return to that book. yeah okay it doesnt always work and i sit there with a tub of fluff and cry while looking at it, or the book isnt available to me. But I find it helps. your not alone and you shouldnt feel ashamed for asking a question. I also have a binge bag. now i know this sounds silly but its filled with low calorie long lasting foods like jelly, and i then dont feel as bad but have my 'hit'.
    you can do this!

feel free to add

xx
  • serenalesley
    serenalesley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    S**t happens. Unless you're under 5 foot tall, you're still in your healthy BMI. A lot of that weight is going to come back out of your body in the next 24 hours, so don't stress until that's happened, then deal with the couple of pounds that you gained by going back to your calorie restriction as normal, it'll sort itself out in the end.

BUT:

Why did you binge? That's often a sign that your calories are too low. You're in your 'normal' BMI. Make sure that you have MFP set to lose no more than 1/2lb a week otherwise you're under your BMR and that's a BAD thing. Consider telling MFP that you want to maintain your current weight, see what calories it gives you, and use the 'custom' setting to take a SMALL amount like 5% off that figure (unless you lift weights, in which case leave it where it is and you'll still lose). And ALWAYS eat back your exercise calories.

(If you had a Life Event that was a trigger and you're dealing with it now, then that's understandable and hey, it's a few weeks worth of setback, and as I said above, s**t happens and I'm really sorry that happened to you. But you'll recover and it'll be OK in a few weeks.)

(Edited because MFP asterisks blacklisted words, and I decided to add letters to show what they SHOULD have been. *Grin*)
  • OhHaiStranger
    Options
    Your UGW is underweight and according to the 1999 in your username you can't be older than 15. 7000/3 = 2333 calories per day, which could have only have made you gain that much weight if you were not eating enough in the first palce. *sigh* Maybe look into a therapist. I don't know your personal situation but it sounds like an unhealthy relationship with food and your body which can only get worse without help. I know that this unsolicited advice might be unwarranted, but as someone who has struggled with bulimia in the past.... I just worry about people that exhibit signs of ED's. Anyhow, if you want to talk I'm here.
  • navyrigger46
    Options
    binge eating is not something you stop you crack head!!

7000 calories over a three day period is not a binge, and to claim it is does a great disservice to those who do suffer from a disorder involving binging.

Rigger
  • dying_2b_skin3
    Options

7000 calories over a three day period is not a binge, and to claim it is does a great disservice to those who do suffer from a disorder involving binging.

Rigger

to be fair...as a sufferer from binge eating myself each and every one of our stories is different. a binge to her may be lunch for you (not meant in any bad way towards you WHAT'S SO EVER) secondly the poster didn't actually state that the 7000 was all she ate or just her binges so in my books 7000 cals + a days eating i would class as one BIG binge. And thirdly I do love how you picked up on one line from a supportive comment and missed my whole point entirely! A person reading this looking for support shouldn't be put off by one hateful comment because i can tell you now, from experience, that's all it takes no matter how much you are surrounded by positivity.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your UGW is underweight and according to the 1999 in your username you can't be older than 15. 7000/3 = 2333 calories per day, which could have only have made you gain that much weight if you were not eating enough in the first palce. *sigh* Maybe look into a therapist. I don't know your personal situation but it sounds like an unhealthy relationship with food and your body which can only get worse without help. I know that this unsolicited advice might be unwarranted, but as someone who has struggled with bulimia in the past.... I just worry about people that exhibit signs of ED's. Anyhow, if you want to talk I'm here.

I think I saw the OP's profile on a pro-ana group I just reported, so I think you are right to sound an alarm.

OP, I hope you accept this poster's offer to talk. She may be able to provide you with some much needed guidance.
  • Mir1999
    Options
    Sorry I didn't mean to get everyone so upset. For me this was a binge. Pizza,cupcakes,breads,bowls of cereal, brownies, cookies, peanut butter, Nutella, chicken, heavy soups, cheese, hot chocolate and popcorn. Im going to say that right now I am not in a very good place and I hope this didn't come off as rude or 'attention seeking'. I was just asking for advice, thank you all very much for the answers I really appreciate it.
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is particularly upset, but rather concerned instead.
    Push through those voices telling you to eat less, ignore them.
    Eat in moderation, exercise, get good rest when it is needed, and you'll see results the healthy way.

I really hope you seek help for these ED related problems, truly, I do..
  • navyrigger46
    Options

Rigger

to be fair...as a sufferer from binge eating myself each and every one of our stories is different. a binge to her may be lunch for you (not meant in any bad way towards you WHAT'S SO EVER) secondly the poster didn't actually state that the 7000 was all she ate or just her binges so in my books 7000 cals + a days eating i would class as one BIG binge. And thirdly I do love how you picked up on one line from a supportive comment and missed my whole point entirely! A person reading this looking for support shouldn't be put off by one hateful comment because i can tell you now, from experience, that's all it takes no matter how much you are surrounded by positivity.

The way the OP's post is worded tells me it was 7K total over three days. That's like saying "I sat down with a glass of milk and intended to eat three Oreo's and instead I had four, it's a binge." What she is describing is not a binge.

And I picked out that statement in order to illustrate the point, I avoided the rest because half of it was completely rude and abrasive to a previous poster and the other half was basically irrelevant because, again, not a binge.

Rigger
  • dying_2b_skin3
    Options
    Sorry I didn't mean to get everyone so upset. For me this was a binge. Pizza,cupcakes,breads,bowls of cereal, brownies, cookies, peanut butter, Nutella, chicken, heavy soups, cheese, hot chocolate and popcorn. Im going to say that right now I am not in a very good place and I hope this didn't come off as rude or 'attention seeking'. I was just asking for advice, thank you all very much for the answers I really appreciate it.

you havent upset anyone we just like to get things a bit heated here on mfp now and then haha. first thing i will say is cooked properly chicken isnt something to get upset about eating so eat away =) but on another note we are all different and you will find some more supportive than others (some out of jealousy most out of concern =) ) stick around for a while we dont all bite xx
  • dying_2b_skin3
    Options

Rigger

The way the OP's post is worded tells me it was 7K total over three days. That's like saying "I sat down with a glass of milk and intended to eat three Oreo's and instead I had four, it's a binge." What she is describing is not a binge.

And I picked out that statement in order to illustrate the point, I avoided the rest because half of it was completely rude and abrasive to a previous poster and the other half was basically irrelevant because, again, not a binge.

Rigger

Ive said my point and im not rewording it in a response. Have a nice day/evening where ever you are in the world =)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Your idea of a binge is to eat a healthy amount of food and you have very low goal weights for your height: please seek professional help.