Always sore.. is this normal?

Options
I do strength training 2x a week and cardio 3-4 and I am continuously sore. Is being sore all the time normal after 2 months of working out? How long does this last? I had weights yesterday and then Zumba today and I half butt my way through it because i was so dang sore today.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I hope it is - because I'm almost always sore too!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Try stretching.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always sore too. I figure it means I'm working harder all the time and using new muscles. I love the feeling!
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Stretching and mobility exercises are key. Do you have a foam roller? Lacrosse balls also work wonders for alleviating muscle tightness and pain. Do it regularly and it WILL help!
  • Lunira
    Lunira Posts: 33
    Options
    If you're so sore you can't work out without "half butting it", maybe rest for a day or two and give your body time to recoup.
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you are female and low on Vitamin D you will constantly ache....
    Try a vitamin D from the drug store... if the achiness goes away..then you have cured your problem.

P.S. stick to the recommended dosage as Vitamin D is one that the body can get too much of.
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel normal now, LOL! :bigsmile:

I did hate not being able to give it my all tonight, but I went up in weights for sqauts yesterday and my legs are KILLING ME! Hopefully I'll be feeling better tomorrow!
  • Moniemoe
    Moniemoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just did a bunch of research on this as I am always sore too. What I learned was:

1. Make sure your getting enough protein. I am 5'1 and eat about 80grams. Your body needs that to rebuild.
    2. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Hormonal regulation and secretion of cortisol, melatonin, serotonin, dopamine, testosterone and growth hormone, to name just a few, are all dependent on quality sleep. In laymen terms when your asleep is when your body sends all the good stuff around to rebuilds the muscles. Less sleep, less healing.
    3. Drink enough water. Muscles like the rest of the body are filled with water. This helps them get the chemicals they needs and be as effective at healing as possible. It also helps your body to break down all the protein your eating and it staves off swelling.

This is what I started working on after reading more about it and it seems to be helping, especially getting enough sleep.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I also second the protein comment. It also contains branched chain amino acids, which are vital for growth and recovery.
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    I don't know much about anything but looking at your diary I wonder if it could have something to do with your high sodium levels and your water intake (if you are logging it accurately, it doesn't look like you drink enough). I would try for a few weeks to stay a little shy of your sodium target and get your 8 cups of water/day. If your electrolytes are out of whack then it seems reasonable that your muscles could suffer from it and even if not, I imagine you will feel better if you reduce your sodium. My diary is open if you want to get some ideas for naturally lower sodium foods (I am a lazy cook so like things that are quick, easy & delicious but relatively healthy) Good luck!!!!
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I work out pretty hard and am currently in the middle of a 30 day HIIT challenge and I do experience some muscle soreness however, nothing that means I have to take it easy and not go all out. 2 times a week I do a 30 minute deep stretch and I take magnesium every single day. Most people are magnesium deficient and do not realize it. magnesium will help with the soreness and will also help regulate your sleep which will help your body rest and recover. Epsom salt baths will help the soreness quite a bit as well.

I third the protein intake as well as nutrient dense carbs like sweet potato. You should have a mini-meal of protein and carb shortly after your workout so your muscles have fuel to rebuild.

Take good care of your body and good luck :)