When swinging arms on the treadmill

Options
Does that double your calories burned?

Replies

• Glakhmed
    Glakhmed Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I do know it increases the chances of me yanking my ear buds out...ouch.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nope
  • DonnaRenee68
    DonnaRenee68 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hear you on that one!!! I actually do that
    A few times each workout! :-)
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Might create an increase in burn, but definitely not double. Calories burned is the energy usage...the more mass you are moving, the more energy it takes. Heavier people burn more through the same activity because of this. Running is one of the most efficient calorie burns because the weight of your whole body is involved. You're not doubling the weight you're moving by swinging arms, so you're not going to be doubling the burn.

My guess is the increase would be negligible, and perhaps already factored into the calorie estimates of the machine, since some arm swing is natural in running form.

Doesn't mean it's a bad idea, though, since you'll be working the arm muscles. On the other hand, if you decide to carry hand-weights with you onto the treadmill, you would be increasing the calorie burn. (Be careful of this, though, as it can throw off your balance and lead to injury).
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It only causes me to have little tiny bruises on my fingers from hitting the side bars.
  • DonnaRenee68
    DonnaRenee68 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Haha the earbud injury is enough!! Lol
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I do know it increases the chances of me yanking my ear buds out...ouch.

My phone went straight to the floor the first time.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I can't run in the treadmill because of my knees, but I walk briskly on it between elliptical workouts. I try to keep my arms doing something like over head claps, or military press with some low weights. It seems to keep my heart rate up a little more and I can feel it works my shoulders, and abs since I have to keep my core right to balance better. It also keeps me from getting so bored.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There was a great study done in the 1980s that looked at the effects of various arm swings and weights. The basic conclusion was that, in order to noticeably increase intensity arm swing amplitude had to be large enough so that the hands reached shoulder height with each swing.

I can't remember the exact amount-- maybe 15%, certainly nowhere near double. Adding smaller hand weights--1-3 lb--increased intensity a little more, but the arm swing itself still accounted for over 75% of the increase. Using 5lb or 10lb weights really increased intensity--the 10 lb might have doubled it-- but most subjects could sustain the effort for only a short time and it sharply increased injury risk.

A lower arm swing or just carrying the weights had no significant effect.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I dont know about double, but I can tell you from experience that I reached a point where i could not get my heart rate above 155 running 6mph anymore. My cardio could handle 7mph+ but my knees couldnt, so in order to keep my heart rate around 165-175 I started swinging my arms up and down as fast as i could. I could easily keep my heat rate above 170 this way. So calculate 10-20 extra bpm and that was my extra calorie burn. Every ones different though.

btw, one of the many benifits of having a treadmill is nobody seeing how stupid you look swing your arms up and down like a dumb@ss while running on the treadmill.