Anxiety and Nervousness

Options
I had an experience today that evoked these two emotions, it pretty much paralyzed me. I couldn't do anything, plus I had a sick child so I was house bound, that aside, How do you deal with the feelings of anxiety and nervousness? FYI- this is a rare experience and these emotions are also a rare occurrence.

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Anxiety is a physical thing, an instinctual reaction to fear. You need a few coping skills that you can call on when you have an attack. Exercise, music, a hot shower, and cleaning are a few healthy coping skills. I'm sure others can fill in some more for you. And, of course, if they become more frequent, see a doctor. Talk therapy can also be amazing.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Could you be more specific about what triggered it and what you were worried about? (Though you don't have to if you aren't comfortable...!) If you don't experience it all the time it might possibly be stress related. If so, stress management could probably help.

I suffer from anxiety, but for me it's not rare. I take medication for it but exercise helps tremendously, which is probably why I'm a fitness freak. From reading and therapy off and on, I've learned to challenge the anxious thoughts that come up or recognize when my anxious thinking patterns are kicking in. The rational side to me has learned to recognize what I can control, what I can't, and when to let go of that which I can't!
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency towards anxiety and nervousness and have the occasional panic attack. This is much less frequent when I eat healthy (particularly limiting caffeine and sugar intake), stay hydrated, and exercise often. Yoga in particular is helpful to me. Also prayer. When I do have a panic attack, the biggest thing that helps is to keep reminding myself that it is a panic attack and nothing is physically wrong with me. Also deep breaths and talking it out with.my husband. Getting in front of a fan or air conditioning helps too. I know that in the moment it seems like forever, but just keep reminding yourself that it will be over soon and focus on your breathing. Best of luck!
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency towards anxiety and nervousness and have the occasional panic attack. This is much less frequent when I eat healthy (particularly limiting caffeine and sugar intake), stay hydrated, and exercise often. Yoga in particular is helpful to me. Also prayer. When I do have a panic attack, the biggest thing that helps is to keep reminding myself that it is a panic attack and nothing is physically wrong with me. Also deep breaths and talking it out with.my husband. Getting in front of a fan or air conditioning helps too. I know that in the moment it seems like forever, but just keep reminding yourself that it will be over soon and focus on your breathing. Best of luck!

^^^exactly that! Also, make sure you are getting enough ZZZ's, that really makes me vulnerable to anxiety and panic attacks. And like she said above, caffeine is a HUGE trigger, for me anyway. I only drink half caf or decaf now. Just don't forget to take time to take care of yourself too :)
  • cpeter76
    Options
    Thanks everyone- all great advice. I will keep it in mind for future reference. Like I said, anxiety and nervousness is a rare emotion for me, but I want to be prepared with a plan the next time I do experience those emotions- prayer, yoga and a hot shower are all on the top of my list!