Opinion - points vs. low carb

Options
I have been doing low carb and have been successful for the short time I had been following the plan. My mother and my nieces want to lose weight too (they live with me). They are all going to weight watchers this Wednesday and want me to join them. I did not want to wait until Wednesdays so I joined on Saturday and will still attend the meeting with them on Wednesdays but do my weigh in on Saturday. I have only been doing the points for 2 days and I do not feel a bit satisfied. Just for fun, I went through my food diary and figured out how many points I was eating on low carb. I was eating 10-15 less points a day than WW wants me to eat! I feel like I am always hungry but wondering if it is just my body adjusting to having high carbs again.

What do you think - has anyone done both and had success with one more than the other? I was thinking of just doing my low carb, and weighing in just for accountability and attend the the meetings for motivation with my family.

All opinions welcomed.

Replies

• caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am on low carb, I feel satisfied, weight watchers does not work for me at all. You can check out my diary and see what I eat.
  • iClutch
    Options
    I've been on low carb for about 7 months now and have lost about 36lbs. I like it a lot. I really don't see it as a diet but more of a lifestyle. I cut out breads and pastas. I'd stick to low carb. Never heard of that other program.
  • FootballKate1
    FootballKate1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone - I think you are right - I have been prowling around my kitchen all night opening the cupboards and fridge looking for something - I did not do that on low carb. Going back on that tmo.
  • FittyNotFattie2014
    Options
    I have done low carb and reduced calories which is what I heard weight watchers is. In my opinion, reduced calorie is better, easier, healthier, and sustainable
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    weight watchers isnt at all about low carb. its about moderation and tracking. points used to be determined only by fat, fiber, and calories- now they add protein to the mix, which is a better plan. they change the "trend" of the program every few months or years, but the basic premise remains the same. they focus on a deficit, careful logging, and earning pts by exercise.

WW works for a lot because its not restrictive- just makes u more conscious of what u eat, and logging (as we know from MFP) will lead to loss as long as its accurate. Low carb can give u faster results initially, but its hard for most people to maintain- and its easy to put the weight back if you start eating excessive carbs after. if u can maintain it and u feel fine- its a perfectly acceptable option. but remember- some carbs are definitely good for you-- any diet that tells you to avoid fruit isnt the healthiest option, IMO.