After school/work snack ideas??

Options
I need some after school/work snack ideas! I always get hungry around 4:00pm, but I'm getting tired of eating carrots with hummus all day... please give me some recommendations (preferably stuff that are easy to pack).

Replies

• kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    edamame.
    Kashi bars.
    turkey jerky.
    pepitas.
    baby tomatoes with basil and a little oil and vinegar.
    rice crackers and tzatziki.

If you're willing to make a batch in the evening to have for the days ahead, I would suggest:

spicy roasted chick peas (they are really yummy room temp)
    Kale chips
    Beet chips

Actually, this link has awesome suggestions for fruits and veggies that make good chips.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/fruit-and-vegetable-chips_n_1900923.html

Chips for everyone!
  • gabe0385
    Options
    How about creating your own trail mix? I bought a bunch of different nuts and mixed em all together. (Cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, peanuts).
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    CB's Nuts brand pumpkin seeds are delicious, high protein and really filling. I love those lately. Any kind of nut seems to squash hunger - just keep an eye on the portion and you're good to go.

Yogurt mixed with PB2 or peanut flour is a great satiating snack that tastes like peanut butter ice cream. If you're in to smoothies, almond milk and a banana with ice is a sweet treat.

Gabe's suggestion of making your own trail mix is a great idea.. you can customize how healthy it is, and add things like unsweetened shredded coconut or cocao nibs to make it more satiating. When you buy them pre-made, they're usually swarming with candy and sugar.
  • gabe0385
    Options
    cactuswax, damn I never thought of the cacao nibs or coconut...ima have to buy some tomorrow to add to mine. LOL.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My go to snacks are:

Mini babybel light cheese
    Handful of almonds
    Greek yogurt with honey and fresh berries
    Apple with peanut butter
    Yogurt Parfait (yogurt, fresh berries, granola)
  • kareit
    kareit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ^^ Edamame is a great idea!

I've been doing a broke *kitten* charcuterie lately, haha... I use string cheese, sliced salami, & some fresh fruit.

I also like apples with almond butter, crackers/veggies to dip in guac, and cherry tomatoes stuffed with goat cheese.
  • XxLostCookiexX
    Options
    Good idea!
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and fruit
    instant oatmeal packet with ground flax, nuts, or seeds
    small can of tuna with crackers
    veggies and greek yogurt dip
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I slice up an apple and take it to work in a sandwich bag. I also do the carrot thing and eat gum
  • granolagirl
    granolagirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    50 cal string cheese and pretzels
    Apple and PB
    Protein smoothie with added fiber
    Fresh veggies and hummus
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Pickles. I love them and they are like zero calories.
    Also the normal things that have been mentioned already.
  • kwitherspoon19
    kwitherspoon19 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like pretzels!
    And homemade hot pockets: pita bread stuffed with veggies a little feta cheese (some times mozzarella) and marinara sauce. I pop it in the oven for about five minutes. It's delicious and less than 200 calories!! :)
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and fresh peach slices
    Almonds and grapes
    Greek yogurt (plain) with each mix added for veggie dip
    Black beans with rotel tomatoes&chili's warmed eaten with scoops
    QUINOA with raw honey