Odd idea, but I hope someone has tried it too.

Options
So I'm stuck. I'm not losing weight, I'm gaining it. I eat really well during the day, eggs and ham and vegetables for breakfast, and chicken salad for lunch, but it's when I get home that gets me. I tend to lose control of what I eat and pig myself. I don't think I realize how much I'm actually eating.

So my plan is, to get a plastic container, say, shoebox sized, and plan out what I'm going to allow myself to eat the following day, and put it all in there. Basically limiting my options. Only allow myself to eat what's in the container for the day.

I'm not sure if anyone out there has tried it, or anything similar, but I think it'll work for me. At one point I'd gone from 333 to 306lbs, but because I'm an idiot and can't control myself I've gone back up to 330.

I'd love to hear any hints or tips from you all about your success too, or what you are doing.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Interesting strategy, if it works, go with it. I'd suggest that you plan out your next day's worth of eating the night before, if you don't already, so you know that you're hitting your goal, and stick to what you've entered in your diary militantly. I think the container idea is kind of cool, and if it works, that's awesome. Good luck
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    I think that's a great idea. I used to weigh out my daily allowance of butter to make sure I didn't go over. I wonder if you really need to be eating so much protein for breakfast and lunch ( I assume you have meat again in the evening). Meat once a day should be a maximum really. My successes have always been with calorie countiing: weigh and record every calorie. I started the 5:2 diet a year ago and have achieved a slow and steady weight loss without depriving myself of the foods I like to eat and without doing any additional exercise (I do go up and down stairs a lot though!). Soup is great because you can pack in lots of healthy vegetables and it genuinely fills you up more than the same calories not liquidised (scientifically proven!).

Good luck and let us know if your shoebox works. :)
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Ouch stop the negative self talk right now!! Would you tell a close friend that she gained weight because she is an idiot? I hope not. You need to talk to yourself like you are your closest, dearest friend. Take care of yourself- no more beating yourself up!

That said, I sometimes pre-log my foods so it's more of a cyber-box :). You can devote yourself to a better you, better health, and a better future. Write down what you want for yourself. Remember those goals and aspirations when you are ready to go "f' it" mode.

In the mean time, make little changes to your lifestyle that you can stick with. It may start as a 5-minute walk every day. It may be choosing water instead of soda. One change at a time will add up. You can do this.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea. An even better idea is to clean out your fridge and cupboards of things that you generally get tempted to eat.

I have no chocolate in the house. Doesn't mean I don't ever eat it, it's just not at my disposal.

Best of luck!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I did something similar but opposite to meet my water needs.

I set out 4 16.9 ounce bottles of water which would total the 8 glasses you need for the day on my counter. I'd use them for coffee/tea or drinking straight. when those bottles were gone I knew I'd reached my water goals. say I drank juice....I'd remove one of the bottles to represent the juice I drank.

of course i logged the cals too, this was just to keep track to make sure i drank enough fluids when i first started and was not used to it. by now I just wing it. i'm certain i get enough by now.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating during the day? I had a similar problem, but realised I was undereating during the day, and ended up starving when I got home and started stuffing my face.
    Now I bring more food to work, carbs and protein (I'm quite active) and I keep some emergency protein bars in my car.
    No more raiding the cupboards when I get home :)

Used to bring 1200 to work, upped to 1500, now it's 1800-2000, lol. I work out more now,
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I cook ahead so that I have a portion of something waiting for me and I'm not scrambling around looking for food, and then overeating. I'm way too lazy to cook at night, plus I go to the gym several times a week, so it helps me stay in control. I've also started drinking a lot more water, upping protein and having small snacks throughout the day.
  • swdabs
    swdabs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    why not use MFP? write each morning what you intend to have that day and stick to it.
    I do that with all my main meals and then it shows me how much I have left for snacks and extras.
    it's worked so far - 21lbs down!!
  • wendyc2015
    Options
    It is a learning process. I take snack sized baggies and measure out my snacks according to the per serving on the nutrition label, then mark each one with the calories per serving so I can log it accurately. I store them in a plastic grocery bag in the cupboard and this reminds me no matter what snacks ate in the house for dh and dd that that bag of already measured snacks are for me only. I permit myself to have one of "my snacks" per day and is usually in the evening after dinner. It is my treat for keeping in track. You have to try different things in order to find out what works best for you. Sending you a friends request as we can help and support each other
  • Rowenahi
    Options
    Hey Chickadee :),

A little wristslap is necessary for you as you are NOT and idiot! You rock! OK ~ You gained weight after having lost it, but the good news is: If you done it once! You can do it again!!
    Sometimes it's not so much how much you eat, but WHAT you eat!
    Try and up your fruit and vegetables and cut your meat and dairy intake! It has worked wonders for me! If you can't stand the thought of giving up meat altogether then do limit the amount :)
    You can do it again my friend: I know you can, so let's go do it! x
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I hope this works for you, but your container will not be there when you go out to eat, or go to a family gathering. Using MFP to log all your food in the morning might be a little easier. Do you weigh/measure your food? That was a big eye opener for me. What I thought was 3 ounces was almost always more. One serving means nothing in the big scheme of things.

Weighing and measuring (and logging everything) is what finally helped me get my eating under control. It has even stopped me from binging. I do not want to have to give up my dinner because I ate a box of cookies. The most important thing I have learned is moderation. I'm not going to lie, that took a lot of months. But, unlike your container, my moderation skills go with me EVERYWHERE.

Best of luck.

ETA: After seeing the last post, remember that ALL foods have calories. It's about staying in a deficit, not the foods you eat. I eat all foods - just have learned to stay within my calorie goals for the week.
  • Poodledoodle100
    Options
    I pre log my entire week so as another poster said, I use MFP as a virtual 'shoe box' it works for me, and then I can't binge at lunch and leave no calories for tea. I also do my shopping list according to what I pre log into MFP then there is no temptation to buy anything that's not on my list and nothing bad to eat in the house. It certainly works for me, I've just had my lunch and to be honest I'm still a bit hungry but I know if I want that naan bread with my tea tonight then there is no calories left for anything else. I really couldn't do this without pre logging, for me I've always had a bit of a issue with portion size and it's that that's made me over weight rather than the foods I eat, I weigh all my food out and if need be just update the entry into my diary by a few grams here and there . Good luck, if you think it'll work then it's worth a try x
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    ditto on what others have said regarding ditching the negative self-talk. Also not so sure I am keen on the concept of "allowing" oneself only certain foods. I eat what I want! I just am working on changing what I want, and taking into consideration more than just what might taste good at the moment. Different things work for different people, but I don't think *anyone* gets to treating themselves healthy by beating up on themselves.

There are also like a gazillion foods I like that are better choices than some others I like. I've also been working on being more self-aware about those choices. If figuring out those choices before hand and putting them in your box so you don't have to remember the yummy things you picked out to eat works for you- then great! Just don't call yourself stupid if it doesn't (at least not in a way where you are anything more than 100% joking. I call myself an idiot all the time, I am very much aware I am highly intelligent, I just act stupid sometimes!)

oh and I will repeat what others have (and will) say about weighing all solids and measuring out all liquids. At least while you are learning what a serving size of various foods actually looks like. Educate yourself, practice, try different methods to see what works for you, pay attention, be self-aware (even if being self aware is just recording everything you eat as you eat-all-the-foods). You don't even have to not mindlessly eat every day, slip-ups won't define your success if you don't let them become your routine instead of the anomaly.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm either starving at night or just really want to eat. Most of the time I think it's my brain wanting to keep up the old pattern of munching on junkfood at night. I like your container idea or the prebagged snacks ideas. Serving sizes was a real eye opener to me. I had no idea some foods had such small servings!

HUGS don't be so hard on yourself. Baby steps.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've done something somewhat similar. For me, planning is key. I need to have a plan of what I'm eating the next day. If I wing it, I'm going to go astray. Plan the work, work the plan. I didn't use a plastic container, but I did prep everything the day before. I typically left myself a little leeway, allowing myself a snack on the fly.

I didn't do it all the time, mostly if I had a full day with a lot of running around. To do that on a daily basis would require too much focus and planning for me.
  • Karen_LM
    Karen_LM Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The clean eating diet (or eat clean, whichever) does exactly that. All those healthy foods, packed up and ready to go for the first few weeks. They even have lists if you need that sort of thing.
  • sjrja
    sjrja Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did this for my husband for a while and it worked well for him - There is something about looking at a bunch of food and knowing that that is all there is...especially when it came to things like sweet treats - he would look in the box and see that there was just one, and he had to consider whether he really wanted it after lunch, or whether he would rather save it for after dinner…However, it is time consuming, and I am sorry to say I was not willing to keep it up for more than a month. But maybe that will be enough to break the habit or re-educate yourself - and then you can transition to the pre-logging that others have suggested.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I think if it works for you it's a great idea, but more important is are you eating enough calories for your body weight? If not, you will always eventually gobble down too much in a fit of hunger!
    Please do some research and make sure your daily goal is realistic for you.
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do something very similar, but my main reason is because I am gone all day and need to take the entire days worth of food with me. I work from 630-3, and I go to school in the evenings until about 7 PM. I eat breakfast at home before I leave the house, but when I leave, I have lunch, dinner and 2-3 snacks with me. I don't bring more food than I will need for the day, and the snacks help me stay away from the tempting vending machines or going out to eat. I think it is a wonderful idea! I also like the suggestion someone above me made, remove all of the bad and unhealthy foods from your house period. If they are not in the kitchen, you will not be able to eat them=]