New & Confused

Options
Hello,

I just joined this site a few weeks ago and will be actively filling in each day since yesterday moving forward. I've lost 30 pounds over the last year and want to loose another 17 or so. I have been using another calorie counting site but decided to move to this one as it simply is easier. What I am confused about is that my old calorie counting site told me to eat around 1,400 and this one is telling me 2,400(I assume this is what I need to eat to maintain weight) - using this site as the general idea to just track yourself and try to come in as much under as possible or have I set myself up wrong?

I read through the forums and alot of people were commenting on being told they should be eating 1,400-1,800 etc and just wondering where they got this information from or if it was something they had just worked out themselves.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The calorie allowance MFP gives you is a goal, not a limit - you're meant to reach it. Did you tell it you wanted to lose weight or maintain? If you're not sure, if you click 'My Home' at the top, then 'Goals' just below it, it'll say your predicted loss per week. If it isn't right, click 'Change Goals' to change it.

If you want another opinion search Google for a TDEE calculator, put in your details and see how much it gives you. Most people recommend to eat 80% of your TDEE when dieting. You might want to try a few calculators, they tend to give slightly different results.

Also remember if you're using TDEE you don't eat back your exercise calories - they're included in your daily amount. If you're following MFP's recommendation, you do eat your exercise calories back. If you're using the MFP database to estimate your calories, or you're using the numbers given by machines at the gym, they both tend to overestimate so it might be a good idea to eat back a portion of them (usually 50-100%) instead.

2400 does seem quite high, but it's hard to tell. What's your height & weight?
  • ThePCOSPaleogirl
    Options
    Thank you, got it sorted now :)