I'm OBESE!

Options
That caught your attention, didn’t it? Who would consider being obese worthy of the “Success Stories” board?
Someone who was SUPER MORBIDLY OBESE, that’s who.

Believe it or not, “Super morbidly” and “Morbidly” are actual medical terms. A Body Mass Index above 50 is “Super Morbidly” obese. I think that’s a medical way of saying “you’re so fat, you can die of being so fat…and soon,” or something else equally painful. It does not come with a cape or costume.

If your BMI is over 40, you are merely “Morbidly” obese. “Morbidly” is hardly a pleasant word. You don’t hear of someone being “morbidly” awesome. No cape or costume for me here, either.

On SuperBowl Sunday, after swimming a mile I weighed myself and did a happy dance because I graduated to just plain’ ol “obese.” It’s not where I want to spend the rest of my life, BMI wise, but I did drop 26.6 points from my BMI to get there and I did it by eating right (most of the time), exercising, and using MFP. It helps that I have AWESOME friends and family, both on and off MFP.

I’ve posted success stories here before too, like when I lost over 100 lbs. and when I got to go rappelling down my buddy’s office building in a fundraiser for Special Olympics Texas. (It was pretty awesome.) I do it because when I started off I read the Success Stories religiously in the hopes of finding people who had lost the kind of weight I needed to lose. It was tough to see people post about how disgusting they were when they weighed 100 or 150 lbs less than me because it made my mission seem that much harder until one day a light went off and I realized that everyone has their struggles.

I wish I had more pics from the beginning, but as a master of the tight crop face pic, I don’t have many. You can, however, see how tiny my eyes were and how pinched my cheeks were and whatnot and with a little imagination you can see someone who is south of 400, but not by a whole lot. Sometimes I still see her in the mirror.
100_0881.jpg

When I started out, everything hurt, all of the time. It hurt to get out of bed. I wheezed when I walked and I moved very slowly, if at all. I couldn’t really bend my legs, so I started off swimming. My motto became “Just keep swimming,” and I swam my way to a personal trainer for some toning and 100 lbs down. When I lost 100 lbs I made sure to get the occasional full body shot, just so I could look back at some point and keep it in perspective. I had plenty more to go. I also bought myself a bike as a reward for losing 100 lbs and forced myself to appear in public in a dreaded, unforgiving bike shirt at a charity event less than a month after buying the bike.
brookieseptbike_zps7fd985c0.jpg
(The shirt is loose now, phew!)

I began trying to do more fitness stuff, AND I was below the weight limit by a good 40 lbs so I got to rappel (I’m on the left. My buddy on the right had my back the WHOLE way).
midwayrappel_zps587f3fd5.jpg

I started feeling better about my life in general, and got out, got moving, and got living, taking pics along the way for comparison and seeing a person I was proud to be becoming.
finchwedding_zps39050c34.jpg

I decided to train for a sprint triathlon….followed by another sprint tri and a bike marathon and other stuff so my reward for losing 150 lbs was a bunch of triathlon gear and another book to go with my first triathlon bible, “Slow, Fat, Triathlete.” I may be obese, but I feel like Wonder Woman.
wonderwoman2_zpsf2036d93.jpg

For the record, it hasn’t always been easy. I have dealt with hurdles and setbacks due to my severe osteoarthritis. Everyone has limitations. If you are where I started, in that neighborhood or may just feel like you have some ungodly amount to lose, I just want to say that you CAN do it. If I can do this, anyone can. Change is good.
20140210_215108_zps70dd2f98.jpg
OK, the end of post selfie with the goofy face is really just because I think my new haircut shows off the fact that I now have a neck and collarbone. Only 58.4 lbs until I graduate to being overweight!

Replies

• Caterpillar_17
    Caterpillar_17 Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Your story is amazing! :) Excellent job so far, and I wish you the best of luck as you continue! Be proud of yourself, you deserve it! Also, the confident smile at the end? I LOVE it! :heart:
  • Cali_Mell
    Options
    That is a wonderful story and I like that you don't sugar coat the struggle or the success you've had. Thank you for sharing. While I may not be in the same 'boat' as you were, you have it right that we all have struggles, no matter what the boat is. :)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Losing 150 pounds is a major achievement! Congratulations on the progress so far! You're right to be proud of yourself. You go, girl. :flowerforyou:

I love your spirit and sense of humor.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Thank-you for posting :happy:
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Wonderful work! :flowerforyou:
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I think you've earned your cape!

superhero.png
  • LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow wonderwoman! You are awesome!
  • AileenElizaFitz
    AileenElizaFitz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You are a superhero. congrats!!
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more upvotes to give for this story. Massive props on your success and adventurous spirit.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Congrats???????????????? You deserve to be proud of your new "category" and don't settle in because it looks like you won't be there long.
    You've done amazing work!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Holy shmoly! You are clearly amazing! Your face comparisons are unbelievable - like a whole new you - though I'm sure both versions of yourself were equally awesome :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    So proud of you! What an amazing thing you've done!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    That was awesome! You're awesome! yaaay!

cHSqp.gif
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Wow... congratulations! You've come so far, and it seems like you're enjoying the journey with all of the activities you've been doing. I think you might have inspired me to put on a swim suit and do some laps in the near future :)
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Rappelling off a building - AWESOME! I want to do that!

You are totally inspiring!
  • shibainugal
    shibainugal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Way to go! :happy:
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Inspirational!!
    Reading stories like yours motivates me to carry on plugging away.
    Well done on your journey so far, you look terrific. ????
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Great job :) Looks like with my 39 lbs loss so far, I'm down from "morbidly obese" to just "severely obese". Another 27 lbs and I'll be down to obese with you :) Going off of this page at least: http://www.obesitysurgerydallas.com/bmi.html
  • jbastone
    jbastone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You are simply AMAZING! So glad you have allowed me to share as a friend in this journey that you are so fabulously conquering. Continued success to you doll. I have no doubt you will achieve all you set out to do! You are such an inspiration to so many, myself included at the top of the list.
  • Trishsimon
    Options
    Brilliant story very inspirational I too was getting pissed off when I saw people on here or even in my slimming club when I was going moaning about have to lose 14lbs or 20lbs alot less then me I used to think I'd love to be even overweight by that much !!
    My BMI at the moment is 39 so I am overweight on the scale but I've lost 1stone 7lbs so am well on my way to getting the weight off I love reading success stories as its gives you a kick in the backside when you are having a bad day.
    My goal is to be down 1 stone 10lbs for my husbands 40th as that will be over 3 stone gone and then lose another stone for a friends wedding in Sept ( 4 stone down ) and then to finally lose the remaining 2 stone for 2015 ( for another friends wedding ), I was a fat bride, hated my dress and how I looked so I am defo not going to be the fat guest :happy:
    Thanks again !
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!