IIFYM HELP

Options
I know I'm going to sound like an idiot but I'm wanting to try IIFYM as I'm having trouble sticking to just low cal so my weight is going nowhere.

I'm currently 24, 170cms tall and weigh 109kgs based on the calculator I tried I need 1918 calories for rapid weight loss broken down to 20g carbs 240g protein and 96g fat. It looks completely different to everyone else I know that has tried IIFYM which I know isn't uncommon but I was hoping someone who knows what they're talking about might be able to check it ?

I do exercise but I'm about to start uni so until I've got a new routine down I set my exercise none.

Please help I wish I could afford a personal plan through one of these places but I can't at the moment ????

Replies

• mzlee1990
    mzlee1990 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    set your macros to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 24, 170cms tall and weigh 109kgs based on the calculator I tried I need 1918 calories for rapid weight loss broken down to 20g carbs 240g protein and 96g fat.

Which calculator did you use? Those figures seem a bit off unless you purposefully want to do the low carb thing...
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    High protein is certainly encouraged to keep muscle, keep you feeling full and so on.
    1g/lb of body weight IS the recommended.
    I do alternate days on 1400 and 2400 with around 175g protein. On 1400 days where I don't do other exercise, it does mean I mostly eating protein based stuff - but a lot of the time I'm doing other stuff - I'm expecting to burn at least 800 calories tonight from running.

Other things I've seen recommend basing your protein requirements on your IDEAL body weight.

In the end, you need your choices to be achievable; there's no point maintaining muscle when you're maintaining fat because you can't stick to it and eat too much.

I don't see "IIMYM" as a methodology. All it says is that you don't start sobbing because you ate a piece of cake, as some seem to!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 24, 170cms tall and weigh 109kgs based on the calculator I tried I need 1918 calories for rapid weight loss broken down to 20g carbs 240g protein and 96g fat.

Which calculator did you use? Those figures seem a bit off unless you purposefully want to do the low carb thing...
    this
  • alposie
    Options
    240 grams of protein is A LOT. You only .8 grams per pound of LEAN body mass not how much you actually weigh. Your' carbs are also way too low. Use the "recommended" calculator and just adjust the protein yourself. And please note POINT 8 grams not 8 grams. The macros your currently trying to fit your diet into are off.
  • mzlee1990
    mzlee1990 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Does 1918 calories sound right for 109kgs?

I changed it to lean mass and roughly did body fat and got

Carb- 222g
    Protein-150g
    Fat-42g

3days of exercise - 2 cardio 1 bodypump
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Carb- 222g
    Protein-150g
    Fat-42g

Yup, that sounds about right.

Rigger
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I pretty much go by this
    - Your bodyweight in pounds x 1.2-1.5 = Protein per day

- Your bodyweight in pounds x 0.45+ = Fat per day

- Fill the remaining calories up with carbs
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Carb- 222g
    Protein-150g
    Fat-42g

Looks ok though I wouldn't be able to manage with that little fat!

I have 70g fat for 1800 cals.