Supplements

Options
While I am not an advocate of diet pills or quick fixes... because we all no there is no such thing right? I do use various supplements to aid with my weight loss in combination with proper nutrition and exercise.

I have recently started taking 5-HTP and wow! For me personally this has been nothing short of a wonder supplement! Not only has it reduced my appetite, it has eliminated all of my sweets and mindless snacking cravings which has allowed me to really get in touch with my real hunger signals.

As with any supplement, it comes with a variety of warnings and side effects so if you do choose to try this product please, please, please do your research first! Also, everyone is different and yes, this works wonderfully for me but may not work for you.

After thorough research and reading that they give this supplement to folks with binge/purge disorders I decided to give it a try. I don't have that particular disorder but I can certainly see myself heading down that path if I didn't get something under control. I found that my appetite was huge and my sweets cravings were simply out of control and the worst part... I wasn't even hungry, I was just experiencing very strong cravings that were nearly impossible to resist. I have taken it for 3 days and it started working almost from day one. Now, I could be surrounded by sweets and I have no feelings about them one way or the other. It is a great relief.

I will also note that this supplement is used for anxiety and/or depression.. neither of which I have, but it certainly does have a nice calming effect without making me tired.

Anyway, again I am not suggesting or advocating supplements as they are not magic, they are only meant to 'assist' with weight loss goals. But for me personally, these work great!

Thanks.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would be very hesitant to take any supplement. They are not regulated and no one knows the long-term effects. Quite often they seem to work because you want them too. Placebo effect.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I would be very hesitant to take any supplement. They are not regulated and no one knows the long-term effects. Quite often they seem to work because you want them too. Placebo effect.
    http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/5hydroxytryptophan-5htp

I think I'd be mildly concerned about taking a supplement that does what this does without supervision.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/5hydroxytryptophan-5htp

I think I'd be mildly concerned about taking a supplement that does what this does without supervision.

this, after reading the possible side effects i think id give these a miss even under supervision
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants are used for treating eating disorders because serotonin balance plays a key role in determining our mood and cravings. They do have side effects, so it's always about benefit-risk evaluation.
    5-HTP probably has a mild effect, but you should be very careful anyway and ask yourself it it's really worth the risk.
    As a rule of thumb, anyway, when a supplement claims to have mild side-effects or no side effects, it doesn't work. If it works it can have side-effects.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sorry what was your question?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Nice try, 5-HTP salesperson.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly.

There is no wonder supplement. If there was there would be no obesity problem.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    5-HTP is awesome. I started taking it for depression/anxiety as a more "natural" remedy years ago.

You can also get it in patch form, which is cool too. =)
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Or, instead of taking supplements that can have serious side effects with dubious to non-existent results, you could kick the sugar and carb habits you have by simply doing it the old fashioned way. I didn't lose 138 lbs by taking supplements. I did it through managing my addition to processed carbs, and sweat equity in the gym.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

This lol

but just in case you're not lol... supplements can help, once u're not overly dependent on them... I mean, u wont want to be taking those allll ur life now...
  • sbarella
    Options
    5-HTP is awesome. I started taking it for depression/anxiety as a more "natural" remedy years ago.

It's not more "natural". You can't find 5-HTP in foods. Yu can eat foods that contain tryptophan, but very little will get to the brain and eventually become 5-HTP then serotonin. 5-hydroxy-tryptophan is a modified tryptophan that can reach your brain and increase your serotonin levels in a non-natural way, just like any antidepressant would do. It's not necessarily a bad thing, some people might need some extra serotonin, but it's not natural.
    The whole "drugs = bad chemical stuff" vs. "supplements = good natural stuff" thing is just plain wrong.
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow! All of you MFP pro's, way to welcome someone new!
    There are so many different manufactures of this supplement, none of which were named.
    If she was selling it she would have told specifically where to get it.
    Instead, she is new and wanted to share something with the rest of us... way to teach her never to try that again!

There are side effects to broccoli, kale and.cabbage; they destroy the thyroid if eaten raw and that is just one example of things that people take for granted that they can eat but don't think twice about it because it's not in a pill.

I have survived more than 40 years of taking supplements starting at age 10 with vitamins and soy lecithin before it was genetically modified.

Thank you Cushman for the reminder about this supplement.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Wow lol, did anyone actually read my post ? Or did we all just read the title and jump. Nice....
    I don't sell supplements nor do I believe they are a fix or a cure for anything, as I have already stated. Please don't belittle my efforts based on one opinion, this is supposed to be a support forum. I have lost over 60 lbs in around 10 months through proper nutrition and exercise. Again, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. My post was made in the hope that if perhaps someone is thinking of trying it they could find my experience with useful. I did state that folks should do their own research....

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    You are most welcome :smile:
  • sbarella
    Options
    Sorry for not being nice, I just think that using a poorly researched supplement that potentially has the same effect of a psychoactive drug without supervision is not a good idea.
    There are tons of useless weight loss supplements out there and it's a fact that many people are willing to try anything, thinking "well, it can't hurt, it's natural" and so on. Not everyone will do their research properly. Even if they will, there is not enough research about it.
    That's why I gave my 2 cents.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Thanks sbarella, I completely hear what you are saying and I agree with you. No worries. There is just too much diluted information out there and sometimes it's nice to hear something more legitimate. I have nothing to base my opinions on other than my own personal experience. I am not a supplement junkie but I do believe in using something as an aid if it works. Thanks again.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Sorry for not being nice, I just think that using a poorly researched supplement that potentially has the same effect of a psychoactive drug without supervision is not a good idea.
    There are tons of useless weight loss supplements out there and it's a fact that many people are willing to try anything, thinking "well, it can't hurt, it's natural" and so on. Not everyone will do their research properly. Even if they will, there is not enough research about it.
    That's why I gave my 2 cents.

That would make it different from a PCP prescribing a psych med for the same reasons, how? Sad to say, many, many people in the U.S. take psychological medication and a very, very small percentage of them have psychiatric supervision. Honestly, presuming she listed the supplement in her medical information sheet, she is getting the same level of supervision.

Which, not to be too productive in this round of hysteria, but if you take this supplement you definitely want to make sure it is listed on your medical information as you do not want to ever take it with an MAOI or SSRI or even with Tramadol for pain.
  • toholio
    toholio Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You can't find 5-HTP in foods.

That's not strictly true. A lot of 5-HTP sold is extracted from the seeds of griffonia simplicifolia which I think would count as "food" if we're being pedantic. You're right in general though. Most foods that contain any of it only do so in trace amounts.

What 5-HTP does isn't particularly "unnatural". You body has to produce its own 5-HTP in order to produce serotonin. Some caution is needed obviously, especially as taking 5-HTP bypasses the rate limiting step in serotonin production and it has an effect on both sides of the blood-brain barrier.
    The whole "drugs = bad chemical stuff" vs. "supplements = good natural stuff" thing is just plain wrong.

Completely agree. People who aren't willing to do their research shouldn't be taking anything, "natural" or otherwise.
  • Greytfish
    Options

It's not more "natural". You can't find 5-HTP in foods. Yu can eat foods that contain tryptophan, but very little will get to the brain and eventually become 5-HTP then serotonin. 5-hydroxy-tryptophan is a modified tryptophan that can reach your brain and increase your serotonin levels in a non-natural way, just like any antidepressant would do. It's not necessarily a bad thing, some people might need some extra serotonin, but it's not natural.

Something that your body produces is somehow not more natural than a chemical made in a lab and put into the body? I don't think that's the argument you want to make? So, if you weren't absorbing and utilizing your dietary iron to make hemoglobin because your B and C levels were low, or your body wasn't using it's calcium intake because you were low in vit D, you wouldn't supplement because it's unnatural?
  • Rowenahi
    Options
    Phew! Things were getting a bit heated up in here weren't they peeps?
    We are all on the same mission let's keep it supportive, ey?
    But I am all for doing things the natural way. Each to their own of course. Anything supplement wise which can cause any side effects: I run a mile (which will also helps with weight loss ~ excuse the pun ;) )
    So unless it's totally natural, I would look for an alternative route.
    Have a lovely day everyone!