just starting and rather big

Options
I know that we all say 'big' and it's a perception. Me - really am. 300 pounds+ and starting out on making a difference. Life isn't always easy and I know I got this big by myself.

Little confused as to the amount of calories for a day I need - people talk about 1400 via NHS site and on here suggest around 2000. Help

Please some reasoned explanations and way forward.

Have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia to contend with, so need to gain balance and life back.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your weight loss is based on a few factors: Basal Metabolic Rate (amount of calories you would burn if you were in a coma for 24 hours) and Total Daily Energy Expended (amount of calories you would burn throughout a day to include exercise). A calorie deficit is reduced off of your TDEE. So if you chose 2 lb per week, then it would take your estimated BMR and TDEE and cut 1000 calories off of that. For example, my estimate BMR is 2080, I have a desk job so I chose sedentary. The math would be:

2080 * 1.2 = 2496 - 500 = 1996 <- amount of calories to lose 1 lb a week.

The advantage you have, as short term as it can be, you have enough fat storage to have a larger deficit. This is probably why you see 1400 on another site. If you do eat below the suggested amount, it would be good to be under doctor supervision and at the minimal change the macronutrient to add in a lot more protein. I would suggest something like 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Additionally, I would do some weight training to mitigate some muscle loss as well as maintaining your metabolic rate.

There are some issues with cutting calories too much.... mostly that it causes people to binge more often. If I was in your shoes, I would aim to eat 1700-2000 calories. If you eat 1700 and you hungry, add in more protein and fats (the two keys to satiety). I know some days you will either to be busy or hungry to eat loads of calories and it's ok some days, but it's also ok to eat over your calories on sometimes. Just try to balance your week out.
  • scooter825
    scooter825 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome Angies, you are incredibly brave and motivating. I wouldn't sweat the calorie intake too much, just make sure it is low carb, low sugar and obviously consult with your doctor. I know that you'll be kicking butt!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi Angie,

You will get loads of different opinions on here but my advice would be to input your stats honestly onto the goals and see what MFP comes up with. Due to your ailments I would set your activity low and then any exercise cals you do earn you can eat back, received wisdom is that MFP over estimates burns so a lot of people only eat back half.

I am about your age and went from 257 to 139 5 years ago and am now maintaining under 147 consistently so it can be done but everyone is different and it is very much trial and error.

Take your time and if you want to add me please feel free as I log daily.
    Good luck
    Jules xx
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome Angies, you are incredibly brave and motivating. I wouldn't sweat the calorie intake too much, just make sure it is low carb, low sugar and obviously consult with your doctor. I know that you'll be kicking butt!

That's a very generic answer that may not apply to the OP. While it may work with you, it doesn't define the quantities needed to be low carb. Also, if you are low carb, you will naturally be low sugar.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hi Angie,

Welcome to the forum! The general rule of thumb on MFP is not to eat under BMR, however if you're losing weight under medical supervision and advice I would go with whatever the medical professional says.

I've just seen the NHS site to see what the score is, it the 12 week plan? As this appears to be a one size fits all regardless of losing 10 pounds or 100 pounds.

Perhaps try between the two figures 1700 cals and if thats not enough perhaps gradually increase to 2000, I don't know your exact stats but 2000 doesn't sound too high to me from the info you have given you should still lose. :)

My best advice is just do a calorie deficit that you can maintain in the long term without driving yourself mad and wanting to throw in the towel.

Good luck xxx
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I wish much success on your goals.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I know that we all say 'big' and it's a perception. Me - really am. 300 pounds+ and starting out on making a difference. Life isn't always easy and I know I got this big by myself.

Little confused as to the amount of calories for a day I need - people talk about 1400 via NHS site and on here suggest around 2000. Help

Please some reasoned explanations and way forward.

Have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia to contend with, so need to gain balance and life back.

I started very similar to you though did not have quite as much weight to lose...my first weigh in was at 246...though I have been heavier...just didn't weigh. I had the joint problems to contend with.

I won't tell you how to do this...you have to find what best works for you.

When I started I didn't worry about low-carb/high-carb/high-protein/low fat...I just concentrated on reducing my calorie intake. I actually reduced it fairly low until I got the first 25-30lbs off. Then I raised it to a more sustainable level.

I needed that first chunk of weight off so that I could get some of the weight off of my joints in order to do even the most simplest exercises.

I started out with slow walking...gradually building up distance and speed.
    I bought a 3lb set of dumbbells and a set of resistance bands for strength training. (I used the lightest strength one for a long time before I could move up to the next level.

If you will google "strength training for the elderly" or "exercises for obese/arthritis" there are lots of exercises to help loosen and strengthen the joints and the muscles around them. They have helped my knees and hips tremendously.

I have a routine that I do 2 to 3 times a week that is designed just to keep my hips loose enough to be able to do anything else.

It will seem daunting at first...if you don't over do it...you will get there but don't expect it to happen overnight. When I started 6 months ago...I was a mess. Life has changed...considerably. I can actually do squats now...using weights!

Pay attention to you joints...they will let you know what you are able to do...it took me a long time to find things that worked for me. I concentrated on moves that would improve my every day life...walking, lifting, getting up and down out of a chair, going up and down steps...balance exercises. I have weak ankles also so I did hundreds...maybe even thousands of ankle circles...standing on one leg (always make sure that your are close to a wall/chair/cabinet...something to hold on to.

Just don't get frustrated and give up. If you just keep trying you will find what works for you...I have lost half of the weight that I need to lose and I am still adjusting my diet and my exercise routine.
  • PaulaJaneBourke
    Options
    Welcome Angie,

I'm a newbie too and whilst I can't offer you any particular advice I just wanted to say hello and good luck!

PJ x