Gained back the weight I lost :(

Options
Hi everyone,
I started MFP in 2011 and I lost over 80 pounds. When I was close to my 1 year mark, my husband lost his job, I became stressed, went on food binges and gained 70 pounds back. I guess I didn't know how to really eat healthy even while I was losing weight. I still don't! Gaining all that weight back has left me with a whole lot of health problems. I need to get healthy and stay healthy this time. I'm looking for some friends that can encourage me and help me along the way. I feel so ashamed that I let myself get back to this weight, friends and family have all noticed and it's horrible. If anyone has some tips on eating healthy, not just cutting calories, please feel free to share! I need something that I can stick with this through life's curve balls this time. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ginra
    ginra Posts: 4
    Options
    Sounds like you learned a lot from the experience. You are an inspiration. To many and I know you can do it again.
  • FR sent ;)
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been there I lost 30 lb and put them back on in only 6 months due to having an anxiety disorder at that time....I am trying to get back on track i lost 15 lbs and planning to lose the 15 left although it was tough...I have to admit i lost the first 15 by yoyo and crash diets that is why my weight keeps fluctuating. I got 2 day diet book just 2 weeks ago and i am following it now and i really like it because it is not a diet as much a lifestyle. In which you eat normally for 5 days (at a maintenance weight level in you mpf goals) so you will get about 1800 calories a day and fasting for 2 days a week (fasting does not mean staying without food but to eat only 500 calories to a max of 1000) fasting is not only for weightloss it has taught me discipline. believe i used to binge and eat about 3500 calories (and still in some very stressful days but has reduced remarkably). It just teaches you how to choose your food. I still have chocolate dessert chips fast food just i know now how to fit them. I am still on trail for this diet. weight loss is slow about 1lb per week but i guess that is the right way. if you want help or more info you can add me

Sorry this took long but i know what anxiety and stressful eating is like
  • Tracie524
    Tracie524 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight in the past and put it back on again due to emotional eating. I am now back at it and am going to lose this weight for good. I have 130 pounds to lose. You can do it too.

As far as eating healthy, more fruits, veggies, and whole grains. I am going to send you a friend request.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    All that counts is that you are starting on the right path now. You can do it.
  • pagepiercekuepper
    pagepiercekuepper Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Don't be ashamed of what happened. Use it as a learning experience. Now you know how you felt after losing all of that weight and putting it back on. This time I know you will lose it for good!
  • pagepiercekuepper
    pagepiercekuepper Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I get panic attacks. I know how terrible anxiety can be!
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I also lost quite a bit of weight and gained even more back!!!!!!!! I've been back on MFP since early December, had a bad 12 days (holidays) and got right back "on the horse" in January. Down 8 pounds, had a bad week, still down 8 pounds, phew. Back on track again.

I am an emotional eater, a real stress eater. Severe stress can actually cause me to not eat, but average stress and anxiety causes me to overeat.

I am making sure to get vegies in every meal, including breakfast. It helps. My afternoon snack has vegies in it. I track everything, even when I have 2.500 calorie days. Without tracking, they could be 3.500 calorie days.

You're not alone, so many of us on here have lost and gained it back. Hopefully each time we try again we do better, we can only keep on trying. I have a friend who has been trying to quit smoking. In the past three years she has tried at least 10 times, and she gets embarrassed. I told her that it doesn't matter how many times it takes her for it to be her last time - I am an ex smoker, I lost count how many times I tried before I finally stopped. She finally stopped three months ago and is going strong. She said my comment to her about how it doesn't matter how many times it takes, at some point it will stick - is what gave her the motivation to try again. I tell myself the same thing with weight loss and optimal health through eating and exercise - keep trying, it will stick at some point. I am hoping that this is the time for me, and for everyone else on here.

One more thing, check out the recipe boards on here, I have gotten some great recipes from them. The broccoli crust pizza (I hope it's still on here) is one of my go to recipes that I make often, and have made it for other people too. It wasn't my recipe, but I did post of photo of one that I made.
  • MrsMetzler2013
    MrsMetzler2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Its hard and sucks at first, but once you get back into your groove, you will feel amazing which will help keep you motivated.

Like you, I joined a few years ago and have been back off and on. Then I joined Weight Watchers through work and I lost 12 pounds, but then I quit and gained it all back. I started MFP again after that and then took another hiatus over the holidays. Now I have gained back everything I've lost and then some. It sucks!!!! But now I am back and I am determined this time.

I struggle so badly with self discipline. Ooh there's a donut? Give me three! Pizza, I can eat the whole thing. So this time my goal is to not completely restrict myself, but to be more mindful and don't over eat. Portion control is another big one and one I have always struggled with.

I've always been an avid exerciser and love to jog and do cardio, I am getting back into that this week, I know that alone will help SO much!
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I started MFP in 2011 and I lost over 80 pounds. When I was close to my 1 year mark, my husband lost his job, I became stressed, went on food binges and gained 70 pounds back. I guess I didn't know how to really eat healthy even while I was losing weight. I still don't! Gaining all that weight back has left me with a whole lot of health problems. I need to get healthy and stay healthy this time. I'm looking for some friends that can encourage me and help me along the way. I feel so ashamed that I let myself get back to this weight, friends and family have all noticed and it's horrible. If anyone has some tips on eating healthy, not just cutting calories, please feel free to share! I need something that I can stick with this through life's curve balls this time. Thanks in advance!
    I've had a similar experience one method I learned is when I feel like binging I telli self to stay calm and understand that I should be eating a well quality meal. And think if this was the 1950s I'd have no choice but to eat healthy