How to relieve hamstring pain?

Options
My hamstrings are hurting a lot and it's not the entire hamstring muscle, it is right before my knee, so it makes walking hurt or bending my knees hurt.

I've done hamstring chairs (10) and they didn't seem to work.

Replies

• Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    When my muscles hurt I roll a rolling pin (sometimes I put it in the freezer first) over them to work it out a little. Take a day or two to rest your legs and let it mend.
  • savingtennessee
    Options
    So you don't stretch them?

I have ran into this problem a lot with this muscle and in this area more than once.
    If my quads hurt, I run to help it, but there is little exercises I can do with my hamstrings. :/ I'll find the rolling pin now
  • Bubba_Furley
    Bubba_Furley Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Buy a foam roller and roll it out... You can find you tube videos on how to target areas.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    What did you do that they hurt so much? Sounds like the tendon.

Take it easy. Last thing you want is to rip that muscle off the bone
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    So you don't stretch them?

I have ran into this problem a lot with this muscle and in this area more than once.
    If my quads hurt, I run to help it, but there is little exercises I can do with my hamstrings. :/ I'll find the rolling pin now

I never stretch cold, I always do a warmup before I try to stretch anything out and if you feel like you may have pulled something you don't want to stretch it, you will just injure yourself further
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It does sound like tendon. I have a similar issue at the other end of the hamstring so have reduced the intensity of my workouts, icing regularly and had a massage last night.

I think mine was caused by Insanity Fit Test and Switch Kicks in particular. Read an interesting article yesterday claiming the muscles and cv system responds quicker to such exercise than the tendons - the end result is a weakness which may well give.
  • white_roses09
    white_roses09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Stretch/do yoga. I try to do yoga after every workout and I'm rarely sore.
  • savingtennessee
    Options
    How do you reduce the workout? I've been doing Jillian Michael's ripped in 30 dvd and some ab workouts. I was wanting to do a leg exercise on top of that, but I can barely bend my knees because they hurt so much. It was day 1 of the workout video!